Tuning best caliber for a 12-16 fpe springer?

I'm a Weihrauch springer fanboy and proud of it. I've owned and shot the HW 97K, 50S, 30S, and 98. All of them are in .177. I like .177 caliber because of the faster velocities, flatter trajectories(at reasonable springer distances), and reduced dwell time.

My primary reasons for owning a springer is to shoot accurately first and to use it for hunting second. For these uses, having a flatter trajectory and larger PBR is advantageous.

The ideal velocity for most pellets is between 8-900 fps...generally. Faster than that and the transonic starts to play havoc with stability and much slower than that and the increased dwell time and exaggerated trajectories are going to become a problem.

A .177 8.64 grain pellet at 850 fps is just shy of 14 fpe...right where the midpower springers shine and can be quite accurate.

I could see a .20 caliber springer being good for those 14-16 fpe power levels because you can maintain reasonable velocities, etc...but .22? Even a .20 at 15 fpe is barely doing 700 fps with the popular 13.73 grain pellet. Especially, for the sub 12 fpe guns in .20 or .22...those loopy trajectories have to be a killer. Am I missing something here?

.177 is the best caliber for sub 14 fpe springers, period. Prove me wrong ;)

Reactions: bf1956
It's fun to mix things up. My .22 97K throws the 14.66s at 720fps and is probably my most accurate HW. My .22 HW35E throws them at closer to 630fps and is very loopy but fun nonetheless. My other 3 HW35s are all .177 and vary in power from 6fpe up to 12fpe and are all fun in their own right.

Long story short, I really don't think there is a "best" when it comes to target shooting. Too many variables there so just shoot what you like.

All of my spring guns are also in .177 for very similar reasons. The 'best caliber' discussion does have a lot of subjectivity. My thinking is that if for any reason I really needed a heavier pellet in my 12-13fpe guns, there are several high quality pellet choices in .177 between 8.4g and 13.4g that will deliver good accuracy in my guns. That said, I do 90% of my target shooting and hunting with 8.4g or 10.3g JSBs. But I see the choice as more pellet weight than which caliber.
R

My vote go to .20 cal. Pellets easy to handle flat compared to .22. They all will work. It's the shooter and gun.

Screenshot_20240415_072032_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20240415_071951_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20240415_072102_Strelok Pro.jpg

20240410_160022.jpg

I'm a Weihrauch springer fanboy and proud of it. I've owned and shot the HW 97K, 50S, 30S, and 98. All of them are in .177. I like .177 caliber because of the faster velocities, flatter trajectories(at reasonable springer distances), and reduced dwell time.

My primary reasons for owning a springer is to shoot accurately first and to use it for hunting second. For these uses, having a flatter trajectory and larger PBR is advantageous.

The ideal velocity for most pellets is between 8-900 fps...generally. Faster than that and the transonic starts to play havoc with stability and much slower than that and the increased dwell time and exaggerated trajectories are going to become a problem.

A .177 8.64 grain pellet at 850 fps is just shy of 14 fpe...right where the midpower springers shine and can be quite accurate.

I could see a .20 caliber springer being good for those 14-16 fpe power levels because you can maintain reasonable velocities, etc...but .22? Even a .20 at 15 fpe is barely doing 700 fps with the popular 13.73 grain pellet. Especially, for the sub 12 fpe guns in .20 or .22...those loopy trajectories have to be a killer. Am I missing something here?

.177 is the best caliber for sub 14 fpe springers, period. Prove me wrong ;)
"My primary reasons for owning a springer is to shoot accurately first and to use it for hunting second. For these uses, having a flatter trajectory and larger PBR is advantageous. " WHAT IS PBR ?

Last edited:
My primary reasons for owning a springer is to shoot accurately first and to use it for hunting second. For these uses, having a flatter trajectory and larger PBR is advantageous. WHAT IS PBR ?
PBR is Point Blank Range...the flatter your trajectory the wider is your PBR. What distances you can hold dead on without any holdover...

I will play Devil's Advocate for .20 and .22 springers. Bigger pellets so easier to load. The .22 will shoot CPHP's in a pinch. Bucks the wind, bigger pellet. More kinetic energy down range. The loopy trajectory for the .22 is fine with known distances of 20, 30 and 55 yards for me. At 13 fpe the .22 pellet hits like a freight train on cans and starlings. The .20 calibers shoot flatter and calmer like the .177 and will zip right through cans and starlings. Bucks the wind and shoots very flat out to 80 yards for me.

The big thing is you NEED more than one springer. How many that is is up to you. I treat my HW's like golf clubs. Each one is setup for a specific scenario. They are all very fun to shoot and they all have that wonderful German "snick" sound when cocked. I try and cycle them weekly.

The problem is when the pellet rifle is overpowering the pellet and many do in .177 cal. So many times I have said if this pellet rifle was .22 it would be better,for me....Almost have to tune the .177 down for it to be "polite"...
I think you are 100fps too fast .Of course a heavier pellet would be the way to go, and a mellow tune .
I am not gettin any more.177 , unless I have to because I have no choice,yes the .20 is better!(y)