Best budget springer if you HAD to stay under $200?

why, you've never noticed before and don't seem to actually read what i write, meh. later.
You want to play a game, play the game that everyone else is playing... apples to apples... I can whip out a hundred targets I've shot in the last five years that are impressive. You made the comment. Find yourself a 30 yard range and go for it.

Gentleman is anyone arguing a great gun with a great shooter scores high ??No !

What I am saying ( along with Frank ) is damn right a budget gun can have the tolerances that line up and along with a great / good shooter can be equally accurate.

Talk, argue , whine and groan ... anyone who has been shooting these instruments knows this is a truth.

Loved my TX , R1 , RwS 350 , Rws34compact.

But I practiced for a very long time on the worst of the worst A crossman Titan GP with the worst trigger known to man
I mean PCPs are not as fun .... No it’s far to easy it’s not even challenging

I’ll stick to my 1998 Gamo hunter 220 at 25 yards Tuned and recrowned and still with its stock trigger ( massaged )

We all love this sport so let’s be nice

You want to play a game, play the game that everyone else is playing... apples to apples... I can whip out a hundred targets I've shot in the last five years that are impressive. You made the comment. Find yourself a 30 yard range and go fo

Gentleman is anyone arguing a great gun with a great shooter scores high ??No !

What I am saying ( along with Frank ) is damn right a budget gun can have the tolerances that line up and along with a great / good shooter can be equally accurate.

Talk, argue , whine and groan ... anyone who has been shooting these instruments knows this is a truth.

Loved my TX , R1 , RwS 350 , Rws34compact.

But I practiced for a very long time on the worst of the worst A crossman Titan GP with the worst trigger known to man
I mean PCPs are not as fun .... No it’s far to easy it’s not even challenging

I’ll stick to my 1998 Gamo hunter 220 at 25 yards Tuned and recrowned and still with its stock trigger ( massaged )

We all love this sport so let’s be nice

Only children and the unwise walk into a room full of shooters and make the comment that they can outshoot most of the people in that room and then expect no pushback.

The boast was in poor taste.

OP here. I don't post much, and almost never start a new topic, but really needed some guidance on this one, so I posed a question. My goal was to (hopefully) get a neighbor involved in something we all enjoy a great deal, so I was looking for advice on what would be his best bet and what to avoid, assuming I can't talk him into something I know is a safe bet (like a 34 or a HW30). I really appreciate the constructive feedback I received from many of you, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts - they were greatly appreciated.

That said, it has been quite disappointing to see many posts that have had little to nothing to do with the topic. Here are my thoughts:
  • Yes, expensive German and English springers are better quality than cheap, Chinese Big-Box ones.
  • Yes, sometimes expensive springers can be duds.
  • Yes, cheap springers often can shoot very well, and have a lot of potential to be even better when properly massaged.
  • Yes, the skill of the shooter very often matters more than the gun, especially since many of our guns are capable of much more than we are
  • Yes, any of these guns can be a lot of fun to shoot, or an endless frustration.
Isn't the point of all this to enjoy our hobby? I have a flawless, heavily tuned HW97 that's gorgeous and a great shooter, but I hardly ever shoot it. And I have an old Slavia 619 that cost me about $50 and can't hit 400 fps with Hobbys, but I'll happily spend 40 minutes trying to see how often I can hit a tin can offhand at 30 yards (with a few inches of holdover). I love each of each of these guns for entirely different reasons, but they both make me smile. To each his own.

To paraphrase a recent comment, we all love this sport, so let's focus on engaging with each other in a positive way.

First and foremost, your friend has you :) A good lot of shooters don't have that (I was one 7 years ago...lol) and basically buy whatever looks good on a shelf, start shooting, then start wondering if or how it could be made better, start surfing and find places like AGN. No matter what he decides, he can ask you for tips and tricks (point him here...lol) and you might still get him into one of those better made guns at some point...lol.
The Airhawk? Remember, it's a clone of the D34 so most of the D34 parts will fit it and even a clean and lube and polish up the trigger some will make it better than what the factory sends out.

hYx8ILe.jpg

I have had this Ruger Impact in .22 for a while now, and it still shoots well. Price was under 200$ when I bought it.

Reactions: Perle
Diana 34, if you can find one on sale. The only other budget springer I own is a Crosman Fire NP4 in .177. That rifle is frustrating, but I got it on sale for $80 and put a $30 Charlie da Tuna trigger in it. It shoots better than before, but I got bored with it and moved on to other rifles. I think that the multi-pump idea is a good one, except I don't have any experience to share with those. I am very curious about the Seneca Dragonfly.

pdxFrank has got me considering buying an inexpensive Daisy 880 (or similar) that I can keep in the horse barn for rat control. Since it is mostly plastic, and relatively inexpensive, I won't lose sleep keeping it in the barn. The problem is the rats always show up when I'm not carrying anything to help them move on to the next plane of existence. :D

Since every barn cat we've had disappeared (coyotes, raccoons, owls/hawks, and/or people), I'm left trying to convince a rat snake to move in or keep a pellet gun handy at the barn.

Dang! You fellas doo wurk up a tumultuous uproar! That’s a hole lotta fussin bout a BB gun.
I figger tha Crosman 362 iz bout tha best choys fer a budgit air gun. Tha Ruger BlackHawk is purdy hit er miss fer kwality. Ah luv my Hatsans but thay ain’t fer everbody. I ain’t seen a cheep Crosman er benji spranger I’d own.
your comic-book style of writing is sophomoric at best sir

Reactions: crosman2016