Best budget springer if you HAD to stay under $200?

@pdxFrank

I hemmed and hawed whether to address this so here goes. Daisy 880 definitely qualifies as $99 or less and Walmart special. That’s very respectable shooting with the Daisy 880. I’ve killed a pile of critters with Daisy 880’s growing up. I say that plural because I wore one out almost every year.

Without discussing power, longevity, or durability, it’s still far from beating out the next average guy shooting a Weihrauch.

That said, you obviously possess some fine air rifles as well, like the Diana 350. So why are you always targeting anybody shooting a Weihrauch? What’s your grudge here?

I suspect lack of real funds. With all due respect.

My childhood neighbor was a Doctor. My family’s doctor in fact. Both of his sons became doctors also. His oldest son is still my oldest and dearest friend. My friends father “doc senior” just recently passed. Old doc senior loved his family and also loved his Daisy (plastic stock) BB guns. Had several he kept up high in the pool house. We would talk BB guns when we saw each other. I told him once of a new Red Ryder that just came out with a genuine Walnut stock. “I wouldn’t want a fancy wood one’” he said. Believe me, funds or “lack there of” were not the point. He was a minimalist. He was about 6’3” and drove a VW bug throughout the 60’s and 70’s. Cheapest car made. He bought his kids everything they desired. Just not himself. He was an awesome man. 

All these different models and levels of guns are made because we all have different wants and needs. ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL. We should respect different opinions and try to benefit from them. Not force ours on them. This is what’s wrong with our country.

pdxFrank. Almost 60 is still young. Old doc senior was 92! 

"I suspect lack of real funds. With all due respect."

meh, spent more on one ham radio than most y'all's total gun value. ;) now THAT's an expensive hobby.
flexradioreceiptsnip001.1654526040.jpg

I've owned over 100 of both types in the past decade, have about 30 in stock now, from el cheap to ~$800 for an Air Force Edge. About 300 bucks is my typical top limit. If I'm going to drop $500+, might as well be a real gun. I wouldn't mind a FWB 800X, but I'd rather buy a used car with that money or some Amazon stock.

I don't see bryanh's posts but since you quoted it... No need for him to reply BTW.

Nothing against any brand. Well, except Umarex, they're garbage. More the sense I get from some that their favorite brand is the end-all-be-all and everything else is junk.

Best set of clubs in the world isn't going to improve my golf game. The difference between $100 plinker and $1000 one is what, half an inch better at 50 yards? meh, unless I'm competing, hardly matters, it's still a head-shot or at least a "9" on the target. :)

Least from where I'm sitting, there are 2 separate groups:

Group 1 won't think twice about dropping $300-$500+ for an spring piston air rifle even if it's just plinking, paper, reactive targets. They want that higher end gun that will park 5 under a dime or closer at 25 or 30 yards. Most of those might also want that heirloom gun to pass on to a kid or grandkid. They also don't think twice about custom stocks or higher end scopes.

Group 2 is the under $200 crowd that wants a decent gun for blowing off some steam and pellets whacking cans, paper and pests. They're just not going to shell out bigger dollars for a gun they might only use 20-30 times in a year. They could also care less if it shoots dime groups or can pick off a fly as long as it whacks the pests they don't want in their yard.

I'm in both groups. If someone wants that more expensive rifle, I can easily suggest a few plus goodies. If someone wants that less expensive gun, I can do that too right along with good but less expensive goodies. Many may not agree with guns I may recommend, but I make those recommendations based on what the Original Poster is looking for, not what I think he or she should buy. It's their money, not mine and if they have a set limit, I try hard to respect it and keep what I suggest inside it. 

I dont fit either, and it’s not us vs them. Not everyone that shoots cheap guns is poor, and I’m not rich. I’ve run through several cheap guns, buying and selling. At some point sold what I had to get a weihrauch and it performed above my expectations, better than any pcp I’ve had.

So naturally I give people advice to buy once cry once every time I see someone ask for recommendations. Get you a cheap gun to get started but don’t just keep buying cheap guns, outside of pure love for the hobby. That much I can understand.

I also have zero tolerance for someone making outrageous claims about cheap guns. Especially when they say things like “just as good as a weihrauch” or etc because I know for a fact it’s a lie. You might get lucky, and get a good one, but it might be one in a thousand $200 guns that hang with a quality rifle like that. Likewise it might be one in a thousand weihrauchs or Diana 48’s or etc that doesn’t beat the pants off of anything that comes in at the $200 price point. And I know this much for a fact.

Even a beat up, rusty, pre-safety HW35 is better than anything you get for $200 new in this market.

Now I also know there are dozens of guns for $100-$200 that will “get the job done” for sure. But not as capable as a good European springer not by a mile. The difference is 20-30 yards accuracy vs 50-60 yards accuracy.

Reactions: SpiralGroove
Based on my research and the replies here, I'm going to recommend to my acquaintance that he go for a pumper rather than a cheap springer. I think his best bet is to wait for the new Seneca Dragonfly, since it's supposedly going to be shipping soon. If he doesn't want to wait, maybe a Benji 392. But if he just wants to plow ahead with a cheap springer, I'll probably tell him to get a Ruger Air Hawk (and tell him not to bother with the scope) since it's fairly cheap and readily available and it's probably not going to matter what he ends up getting. But first I'm going to keep pushing him to just up the ante buy an HW30 that his grandkids can shoot 60 years from now. Or at least wait until Mike Mellick gets some more springers back in stock!

I will say this: I do own one Chinese Springer: an Umarex Embark for my kids, which is a Ruger Explorer with a different stock and better sights. I've done absolutely nothing to it, but it actually shoots quite well and is pleasant to use. Trigger has a long second stage, but is smooth and predictable, and the powerplant is smooth and not very twangy. Maybe I got a good one, or maybe because it is a much lower powered gun (500fps), it doesn't have the cheap feel of the "1700 fps" models - whatever it is, I had no regrets about spending $100 on that, so I know they CAN make a decent gun...but I'm still a German wood, steel, and leather kind of guy.

what an unfortunate attitude.

really depends on the shooter. i bet i can outshoot most of y'all plinkin' with a $99 walmart special vs your very pretty and over-priced HW.
I'll take that bet. Lets just see who can get the highest on the 30 yard challenge with their springer? I'll use one of my D430s and you pick any gun under $200.00 Show me, don't tell me. Oh by the way, I already have a score at the bottom of that list. It should be easy for you to surpass it. Then I will start trying. ;)

Here is a link to that thread:

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxFrank
Based on my research and the replies here, I'm going to recommend to my acquaintance that he go for a pumper rather than a cheap springer. I think his best bet is to wait for the new Seneca Dragonfly, since it's supposedly going to be shipping soon. If he doesn't want to wait, maybe a Benji 392. But if he just wants to plow ahead with a cheap springer, I'll probably tell him to get a Ruger Air Hawk (and tell him not to bother with the scope) since it's fairly cheap and readily available and it's probably not going to matter what he ends up getting. But first I'm going to keep pushing him to just up the ante buy an HW30 that his grandkids can shoot 60 years from now. Or at least wait until Mike Mellick gets some more springers back in stock!

I will say this: I do own one Chinese Springer: an Umarex Embark for my kids, which is a Ruger Explorer with a different stock and better sights. I've done absolutely nothing to it, but it actually shoots quite well and is pleasant to use. Trigger has a long second stage, but is smooth and predictable, and the powerplant is smooth and not very twangy. Maybe I got a good one, or maybe because it is a much lower powered gun (500fps), it doesn't have the cheap feel of the "1700 fps" models - whatever it is, I had no regrets about spending $100 on that, so I know they CAN make a decent gun...but I'm still a German wood, steel, and leather kind of guy.
Happy to see a resolution to this. Do let us know how it works out.

J~

I'll take that bet. Lets just see who can get the highest on the 30 yard challenge with their springer? I'll use one of my D430s and you pick any gun under $200.00 Show me, don't tell me. Oh by the way, I already have a score at the bottom of that list. It should be easy for you to surpass it. Then I will start trying. ;)
I'd have to go hunt down your target, but it's likely you're not one of the "most people" I speak of. I knew the better shooters would come out of the wood-work. I'm sure you're one of them. Anyway, I only have 25Y and lucky at that.

Re: the challenge, okay, not my favorite targets, for standardization. Me, I like the Orion targets 'cause I can see 'em better.

silentcatwithbipodaccuracytest001.jpg
($100 gamo silent-cat)

And I don't often have guns with a scope on them, as I shoot open-sights most of the year. I also go through guns often and I don't even know what I'd pick right now to try the challenge. Which in itself is more work to document than to accomplish. Just to impress upon folks that about any gun is better than it's shooter.

waltherparrusmay2021checkup002.jpg
(all day long with this sub-$150 ninja. i'd get another one of those, but meh, not a fan of Umarex.)

I don't want these examples to be some high level of proof, as anyone could fake it. that's why i don't post 'em much. i figure there's enough on my youtube channel to show what i'm working with. Or if ya like pics, here's my Insta.

Doesn't mean i don't love my finer guns, but as many of you have said, the real tests come at 50Y+. for both the shooter and the gun.

with time and practice, i don't think i've had any, or at least very few, break-barrels that couldn't do at least this. which in better hands i'm sure could do more impressively.
diana350mag_may2022_005.jpg

got nothing against ya fanboys, but sometimes it gets old to look down a wall and think "is that the only 1 or 2 brands they ever shoot? how can they recommend anything else."

I'll get around to making a video that perfectly fits the guidelines to prove my point to a bunch of strangers that either don't really care, or would just continue to doubt. Mostly 'cause they just haven't tried it themselves. Put down your gun that does all the work for ya and pick up something a bit more challenging. it's just 25 or 30Y.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to go hunt down your target, but it's likely you're not one of the "most people" I speak of. I knew the better shooters would come out of the wood-work. I'm sure you're one of them. Anyway, I only have 25Y and lucky at that.

I don't know why the 10-dimes challenge is the end-all-be-all, but okay, for standardization. Me, I like the Orion targets 'cause I can see 'em better.

View attachment 268066
($100 gamo silent-cat)

And I don't often have guns with a scope on them, as I shoot open-sights most of the year. I also go through guns often and I don't even know what I'd pick right now to try the challenge. Which in itself is more work to document than to accomplish. Just to impress upon folks that about any gun is better than it's shooter.

View attachment 268067
(all day long with this sub-$150 ninja. i'd get another one of those, but meh, not a fan of Umarex.)

I don't want these examples to be some high level of proof, as anyone could fake it. that's why i don't post 'em much. i figure there's enough on my youtube channel to show what i'm working with. Or if ya like pics, here's my Insta.

Doesn't mean i don't love my finer guns, but as many of you have said, the real tests come at 50Y+. for both the shooter and the gun.

with time and practice, i don't think i've had any, or at least very few, break-barrels that couldn't do at least this. which in better hands i'm sure could do more impressively.
View attachment 268072

got nothing against ya fanboys, but sometimes it gets old to look down a wall and think "is that the only 1 or 2 brands they ever shoot? how can they recommend anything else."

I'll get around to making a video that perfectly fits the guidelines to prove my point to a bunch of strangers that either don't really care our would just continue to doubt. Mostly 'cause they just haven't tried it themselves. Put down your gun that does all the work for ya and pick up something a bit more challenging. it's just 25 or 30Y.

this is the one i've been enjoying the most lately. but it's real sensitive to the wind and doesn't fit the sub-$200 challenge. still, it's a Daisy (albeit with a Lothar-Walther barrel). i can't see the 10-dimes challenge with these sights, so i'll probably use an alternative (same size tho') target unless i add a scope.

daisy753targettest001.jpg
25Y benchrest x10, gonna make that tighter, the gun can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with pdf Frank. Having had 23 Springers at once. Sure my TX and R1 were sweet shooters but also

Re: the challenge, okay, not my favorite targets, for standardization. Me, I like the Orion targets 'cause I can see 'em better.

View attachment 268066
($100 gamo silent-cat)

View attachment 268067

View attachment 268072

I'll get around to making a video that perfectly fits the guidelines to prove my point to a bunch of strangers that either don't really care our would just continue to doubt. Mostly 'cause they just haven't tried it themselves. Put down your gun that does all the work for ya and pick up something a bit more challenging. it's just 25 or 30Y.

I’ve had 23 springers at one time. Surmy TX and R1 were laser like but my Gamo , Hatsan and Turkbow could all hang @ .25 y

Working with the non finer guns develops good marksmen habits

Well, there's two of us, we should start a club maybe? ;)

Not unimportant, but a side-note, being elitist can turn off those with less disposable income. I mean, if people who've been at it for a while are telling me my gun is junk, and I don't have "just a couple hundred more", it's like, well, why bother.

Not I, mind you, I don't care what people think. :)

Well, there's two of us, we should start a club maybe? ;)

Not unimportant, but a side-note, being elitist can turn off those with less disposable income. I mean, if people who've been at it for a while are telling me my gun is junk, and I don't have "just a couple hundred more", it's like, well, why bother.

Not I, mind you, I don't care what people think. :)
We must think of a good name for this club !

I don’t mind working for the shot .... I’ll quote a famous movie line. “ The hard is what makes it good !”

Reactions: pdxFrank
First of all Frank, You are the one made the claim. ;) I don't know why folks can't just live with the old adage, "you get what you pay for...". As far as I can tell it is still true. But HEY! you two are talking a great game... 30 yard challenge... Let's SEE what ya got?

Ten dimes is not the "be all or end all". You can do that one all day long with a good accurate springer and a good batch of pellets. But why make it easy when you can play with the big boys?

Jus' sayin' Show me, don't tell me. 😁