Best budget springer if you HAD to stay under $200?

It was highly rated by HAM. Very tempting.

I'd have to agree - my air arsenal is 100% springer-based, but this is highly intriguing. It looks like they were originally supposed to start shipping these in early May, but that's now been pushed back until mid-June. I assume supply-chain issues, but I'm speculating.

@pdxFrank

Here is the challenge. Make a video shooting this 10 Dimes challenge from 25 yards:

View attachment TDC-final.1630463316.pdf

Must record it so as to prove no fraud. For instance, you could roll out 25 yards on a tape measure, and start recording with the clean target posted, recording continuously as you walk away to the bench and record your shooting, and walking back.

I won’t settle for a single cherry picked group. Nor a picture of anything. Do it right or don’t do it at all.

I’m just a trucker. I have near zero free time. I either drive the truck, unload the trailer, or sleep. I have one full day off per week and I don’t always spend it at the range.

When I do go to the range, I usually coach my daughters and watch them shoot. I rarely even get to practice at all!

Surely I qualify as one of those “most people” with a Weihrauch that you can outshoot with a “$99 Walmart special”.

Don't waste your money on a cheap springer.

what an unfortunate attitude.

really depends on the shooter. i bet i can outshoot most of y'all plinkin' with a $99 walmart special vs your very pretty and over-priced HW.

I've had both cheap guns and expensive guns. And I can say without a doubt, that the more expensive guns are better built and more consistently accurate and easier to get that accuracy out of. And to me, that's why they are worth the extra money. As dumb as you think I am, I can assure you I'm not dumb enough to pay $400 extra and not gain anything.....

Most of my overpriced Weihrauchs are from the 80s and some have seen heavy use their whole life and still drive tacks. And they are still worth a decent chunk of change. What's the resale value on a used chinese gun? Basically nothing.. So which is really the overpriced investment if you don't plan to shoot it forever?

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a box store spring gun competing at a Field Target match. And a lot of those guys are much better shooters than either you or me. 

Take your rig to a match and see what happens. I'll be watching for the scores posted after. It's easy to win when you're just shooting against yourself.....

can't get more budget than this. :) Daisy 880 pumper. about 60 bucks anywhere they sell. not sure i can call it a "springer"?

might be my next 10-dimes challenge gun. gotta keep it challenging, i only have 25Y and the fancier guns make it too easy. ;)

daisy880june2022_1606.1654297823.jpg

I hear 15 pumps will get ya ~800FPS. about twice what i need for this. 5 strokes for 25Y seems fine.

(might need to try better ammo, but i'm about out of what i prefer.)

@pdxfrank

@pdxFrank

Maybe you could post the link to your Youtube channel here? 

I've seen your videos....

Thanks for the plug! :) But I don't think I have any "wow" moments on video. I don't think there's much I do that others can't if driven to do so.

Me, I just don't have much of a life. Ham Radio, Guns (air or powderburners), decent dart player, and I take a halfway decent photo on occasion. Beyond that, it's work work work and keep the house from falling down around me. :)

pewpewpewsilentcatBandW001.1654298281.jpg

Hi all, new to this forum. Have you or your buddy looked at the Ruger Air Hawk? If I’m not mistaken it’s a Chinese (Xisico) copy of an RWS 34 with the T-05 trigger. Decent quality and very tunable like what BryanH said about the Optimus.

As for Springer vs Pumper, it’s probably up to personal preference. A pump rifle will probably be shorter and lighter, but pumping gets old pretty fast and it’ll be louder at max power. Personally, a multi pump just makes me wish I had a PCP gun.

Reactions: Beeman22
Oh yeah familiar with the air hawk. Same as black hawk but in wood stock. Under $200 it’s tough to beat.

Spending under $200 and planning to shoot it like it comes from the factory, air hawk and black hawk are as good as it gets. If you do want to work on it you can use Diana 34 tune kit.

My personal preference for the Crosman Optimus is based on cheap easy access to factory direct parts and support. That, and I know how to fix the trigger.

Reactions: Beeman22
@pdxFrank

I hemmed and hawed whether to address this so here goes. Daisy 880 definitely qualifies as $99 or less and Walmart special. That’s very respectable shooting with the Daisy 880. I’ve killed a pile of critters with Daisy 880’s growing up. I say that plural because I wore one out almost every year.

Without discussing power, longevity, or durability, it’s still far from beating out the next average guy shooting a Weihrauch.

That said, you obviously possess some fine air rifles as well, like the Diana 350. So why are you always targeting anybody shooting a Weihrauch? What’s your grudge here?