Best budget springer if you HAD to stay under $200?

An acquaintance of mine asked for my advice on buying a "pellet gun" for plinking and maybe dispatching the occasional pest, but doesn't want to spend more than $200. For me, the answer was simple: Spend more money and buy an HW30 or HW50 that you can pass along to your children's children. Unfortunately there are two problems:

1. I can't seem to move him off the $100-$200 range. He says he's willing to pay more for a "quality" gun, but in his mind, that means the "top" end of the range that he's seen (at big box stores), so like $200.
  2. Even if I could get some movement from him, anyone notice that Krale has increased their prices a LOT in the last 2 months or so? An HW30 was about $250 shipped about a month ago; now it's over $300 and the exchange rate is better than ever!
    [/LIST=1]

Bottom line, if you HAD to buy a new gun for under $200 and live with it as-is, what would it be? He doesn't care about a scope, so no need to worry about that, and isn't focused on power - just trying to get the best shooting experience for under $200.

Thoughts? 

EDIT based on some early responses: Or is a multi-pump the better choice in this price point?

There are some people that you just cannot help. Move on.

Maybe so, but I like to see people get bitten by the airgun bug, so I feel obligated to help. Who knows, maybe he starts out with a piece of junk and then (after having a chance to mess around with some of mine) comes around to realize that there might be more to this than can be found at Walmart...

Is he set on buying a springer? There are Beemans, Crosmans, Benjamins, etc available that would suit his need just fine in a number of different configurations.

J~

I'd say that PCP's and CO2 are out, but a multi-pump might be in the cards if there is something out there that isn't terrible. Not my area of expertise - last non-springer I had was a Crosman pumpmaster from the early 80's!

I'd say that PCP's and CO2 are out, but a multi-pump might be in the cards if there is something out there that isn't terrible. Not my area of expertise - last non-springer I had was a Crosman pumpmaster from the early 80's!

I'm a fan of the QB77/78 series of rifles because they offer a lot of bang for the buck, but I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak that's an excellent shooter. I've a few Crosman 760s as well.

I'd ask the guy if he's interested in a pumper. There's a new Benjamin 397 out that goes for about a hundred bucks and another import, a Seneca with a butterfly pump system that goes for about twice that.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/01/benjamin-397-variable-pump-air-rifle-part-1/

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2022/02/seneca-dragonfly-mark-2-multi-pump-rifle-part-one/

Good luck,

J~

Baker Airguns is running a Memorial Day sale that ends today. They have a used .177 Beeman QB Chief with a Hill hand pump for 199.99, both are listed in excellent condition. I just bought used TX200 from the sale that was also listed in excellent condition and it would easily pass for a new rifle. A cheap springer isn’t going to be easy to shoot accurately without some practice and dedication. I would go this route unless you can talk your friend into spending more money for a Weihrauch. 

Crosman Optimus and here is why.

1. Wood and steel, durable. No reports of Crosman Optimus trigger snapping (unlike the Quattro)

2. Parts and support- Crosman springs and seals readily available. Springs and seals also available from ARH and Vortek. Tons of info on the net for trigger improvement etc.

3. In my experience any B19 will shoot pretty good with a little elbow grease.

4. Dirt cheap.

Reactions: Beeman22
Crosman Optimus and here is why.

1. Wood and steel, durable. No reports of Crosman Optimus trigger snapping (unlike the Quattro)

2. Parts and support- Crosman springs and seals readily available. Springs and seals also available from ARH and Vortek. Tons of info on the net for trigger improvement etc.

3. In my experience any B19 will shoot pretty good with a little elbow grease.

4. Dirt cheap.

That's not a bad choice at all. Once you get used to the trigger and find the right pellet, they group pretty well too.