• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Best budget .22 pcp, what is your opinion?

Snowpeak M60 seems hot right now. ( same maker as the Notos ) Stoeger BullShark / P35 might warrant a look as well
well admitted or not, I'm quite certain that the m60, notos, zelos, pp750,pp700 and I'm beginning to think the Diana bandit are all made in the snowpeak factory with the order with whatever name the ordering company wants.. now I'll tell you the best part about this.. so you basically can't get parts from umarex.. for the notos, probably anything with the umarex name.. but depending on the part the notos and the pp750 are the same gun, Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada will help with parts..hes a great guy...only major difference is that the cocking lever is right side on the pp750 and the left side on the notos..
course the stock is different and the pp750 doesn't have the moderator fastened on so you don't have to machine off..
now my biggest thing I'm not happy about is that some of the companies don't even sell rebuild parts and to be clear the barrel o rings are impossible to source locally, I was just about to turn the groove a little bit wider and deeper so it would fit a standard size metric o ring.. but firewalker has them..
so I really don't like disposable!! and I don't understand why I assume a large company like umarex or hatsan doesn't sell parts.. but a new company I just heard about, Barra, I assume not a large company sells parts.. worse yet I figured that CO2 guns were basically disposable now but yet Barra sells parts and rebuild kits and seal kits for their guns.. I forgot exactly but seems like a rebuild kit for the Schofield was just like $5-10 .. I really wish we could get it across to the manufacturers that at least some of us want parts available, especially if they are special, like the barrel o rings on the notos.. do they really expect us to toss a gun away over a o ring? this really upsets me.. so much disposable stuff that used to be fixable and parts available when I was young, now what? fill up the trash with things that are still good, just needed a part..
someone else mentioned starting a thread about this to the manufacturers.. not sure how to it to them and hopefully they actually pay attention?
Mark

Reactions: WIndOnYerGrape
So it has the stainless reg in it, during shooting so far no visible creep, but I have noticed that after a week the reg did go from 1500psi to 1800psi... have not had much time on it as yet. But nothing that concerns me at the moment
We have the alum bottle here in South Africa so a little cheaper than the US carbon bottle I think mine worked out to 618 dollars for the bottle bullpup

View attachment 438412
honestly I like the looks of your bottle better than ours.. and I think I looked a couple days ago and it was over $800.. the small creep you have doesn't seem like a big deal, might just need shot in? the reason I was interested in it was I was thinking about a really hot tune for the heaviest slugs that will fit the magazine for hopefully really long distance target shooting and then hopefully be able to turn the transfer port to low and shoot pellets 50 yards
I'd be curious to find out what the heaviest slugs are for that gun and if it's got enough ump to put it out around 950 fps?
Mark

honestly I like the looks of your bottle better than ours.. and I think I looked a couple days ago and it was over $800.. the small creep you have doesn't seem like a big deal, might just need shot in? the reason I was interested in it was I was thinking about a really hot tune for the heaviest slugs that will fit the magazine for hopefully really long distance target shooting and then hopefully be able to turn the transfer port to low and shoot pellets 50 yards
I'd be curious to find out what the heaviest slugs are for that gun and if it's got enough ump to put it out around 950 fps?
Mark
Time will tell, have 18 and 22 grn jts pellets and just bought the h&n slug test pack... but my initial thought is to tune for 25grn

Reactions: markhooper
Thanks for all the input!
I sprang for an Avenge-X.
Next question, with 15.89 gr. pellets in a 1:18 twist barrel, what regulator pressure for best accuracy do you recommend?
busy with mine, i have dropped my reg down to 1500 psi to get 880 fps on 18.13 grn pellets. Hammerspring is all the way out. i still need to sit and tune... will see if i can get a tune on 25 grn pellets and then see if i can shoot the lower grain pellets using the High \ low wheel.

after doing a lot of reading i just need to get time to do the 95% tune everybody talks about.

Thanks for all the input!
I sprang for an Avenge-X.
Next question, with 15.89 gr. pellets in a 1:18 twist barrel, what regulator pressure for best accuracy do you recommend?
I wanted the avenger X 22 bottle gun but it seems like a bit much at over $800..
id try starting around 1900-2000 regulator pressure.. probably closer to 1900 psi
that's what my liberty is and it shoots everything from crossman premier hollow point 14 grain to jsb 18 round nose and jsb jumbo monster redesigned 25 grain pellets all well.
Mark

busy with mine, i have dropped my reg down to 1500 psi to get 880 fps on 18.13 grn pellets. Hammerspring is all the way out. i still need to sit and tune... will see if i can get a tune on 25 grn pellets and then see if i can shoot the lower grain pellets using the High \ low wheel.

after doing a lot of reading i just need to get time to do the 95% tune everybody talks about.
I wanted to do the same thing.. I think I already posted it here..
so from another guy here on AGN, if you want to do it with the high low transfer port.. he recommended doing the tune in high with the heavies and then hopefully it will shoot decent with the light ones.
Mark

Reactions: OndrejD
how accurate and how budget ..most pcps are pretty accurate if handled right .. i keep my stormrider in its '1 mag sweetspot' and i know i can grab it and drop something everytime out to 50 yds ... go up some bucks to your +$500 range and it just gets more consistent, little bigger sweetspot, more dejustability etc ..

Great thoughts. I’ll start at 1,500 psi and work up. I’ve read that 15.89 gr. is good for 1:18 twist barrels, are JSB’s the best??
I started on JTS Dead Center pellets but I also only hear good things about JSB... I also bought some cheaper 18 grn pellets from turkey called Velocity. Got some JTS 25 grn in the week to test with as well
Distance is 20 meters on these

20240210_104034.jpg

20240210_104103.jpg

20240210_104045.jpg

Congratulations on the Avenger! I have an original one in 25 and it likes FX 25.4s which are made by JSB (it is a 25 caliber). Starting with JSBs is reasonable but you have to be willing to let the gun tell you what it likes. JSB makes several weight pellets in 22 caliber. Besides the Avenger I have three P35s including one in 22. It prefers H&N Baracuda Match. They are 21 grain. I have taken 16 squirrels with my Prod shooting 14.66 grain H&N 22 caliber pellets. So 15.89 is definitely heavy enough if your gun likes them. If not, I would go up to an 18 grain which both JSB and H&N offer (and probably others too).

If "no hammerspring" means you have not adjusted it you need to get a little chronograph (cost $20-30) and take care of that. You will want to decrease the hammer spring to the point where velocity starts to fall. The normal "95% rule" is to go down about 5% in velocity from that point. It will give you good efficiency. My P35-25 shoots the first shot much slower if I do that, however. My Avenger likes the hammer spring a little higher than the point of peak velocity. It is more accurate that way. So I recommend you try several different hammer spring settings going mainly below the point of maximum velocity. You gun will not be damaged if you do not match the hammer spring to the regulator setting but you gun will shoot better if you adjust it.

Congratulations on the Avenger! I have an original one in 25 and it likes FX 25.4s which are made by JSB (it is a 25 caliber). Starting with JSBs is reasonable but you have to be willing to let the gun tell you what it likes. JSB makes several weight pellets in 22 caliber. Besides the Avenger I have three P35s including one in 22. It prefers H&N Baracuda Match. They are 21 grain. I have taken 16 squirrels with my Prod shooting 14.66 grain H&N 22 caliber pellets. So 15.89 is definitely heavy enough if your gun likes them. If not, I would go up to an 18 grain which both JSB and H&N offer (and probably others too).

If "no hammerspring" means you have not adjusted it you need to get a little chronograph (cost $20-30) and take care of that. You will want to decrease the hammer spring to the point where velocity starts to fall. The normal "95% rule" is to go down about 5% in velocity from that point. It will give you good efficiency. My P35-25 shoots the first shot much slower if I do that, however. My Avenger likes the hammer spring a little higher than the point of peak velocity. It is more accurate that way. So I recommend you try several different hammer spring settings going mainly below the point of maximum velocity. You gun will not be damaged if you do not match the hammer spring to the regulator setting but you gun will shoot better if you adjust it.
Thanks, I have a labradar I use for my center fire rifles so used that to measure speeds. My hammerspring is completely turned out, counter clockwise. Have not sat yet to fingerprint gun with reg and hammerspring turns yet. This weekend was my anniversary so the rifles were left alone , you know happy wife happy life....

20240210_091831.jpg

20240210_102419.jpg

Great thoughts. I’ll start at 1,500 psi and work up. I’ve read that 15.89 gr. is good for 1:18 twist barrels, are JSB’s the best??
my liberty doesn't seem to care if it's crossman premier hollow point 14 grain, jsb 18 round nose, or jsb jumbo monster redesigned 25 grain.. just depends on how hard you want to hit.. that's out to 50 yards.. I have shot 3" groups=magazine full at 160 yards with jsb 18 grain round nose.. that seems to be it limit for the tune it came with.. it has been shot straight out of the box.
Mark

Depends on your budget, I guess. There is so much that goes into the choice, it's hard to suggest. Let's just consider money. I doubt you could beat a Marauder for the money. They are accurate beyond their budget price, (or any price for that matter), they have better triggers than many guns costing hundreds more, and there are mods galore for them. I don't know of a better place to start.