• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Best Bi-Pod for PRS & NRL22

I'm looking for guidance and advice. Is there a big difference between a bi-pod that is $30 and $150? I have a $30 bipod off amazon and i have to say I'm not impressed. It gets loose after every shot and it's not very stable. So is it worth upgrading to lets say an ACCU-TAC LR10 G2 that's $350? Is a $300-400 bi-pod really necessary for long range precision shooting with a PCP up to 100yd or greater? Can I get away with a cheaper bi-pod and still maintain the same accuracy with all things being equal? I'm looking for something on the value side so under $150 if its possible.

The use case: Mostly shoot from inside the house through a window down range into my back yard. I plink and target shoot. Current gun is a Cricket 2, tuned to 18g JSB's around 922fps. Scope is a Primary Arms primary-arms-4-14x44mm around $350 with rings. I can shoot sub MOA at 50yds with 3 shot groupings but struggle to keep the gun steady at 75+ yards. I currently use a cheap Amazon Bi-Pod and Sandbags. See pic for current setup.

Not taking my breathing, technique, posture and GUN and scope out of the picture and just focus on the bi-pod. I get that breathing, posture and technique is the greatest factor but I'm looking at the tangible side. Can you make some recomendations on what I can buy to increase my accuracy. With a budget of $150. If you think that $150 is not enough then let me know where I need to be. Again just based on equipment as I know not all equipment is equal and CONSISTANT ACCURACY is expensive. Sure there are some great value bi-pods out there that competitive shooters shoot with that aren't 300-400.

20230312_122935_HDR.jpg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
i always had the cheap ebay atlas knockoffs,
they are very usable,
and work fine when adjusted,
a little sandpaper,grease,
and maybe an oring or 2.

i never understood why people would pay so much for a genuine atlas bipod............................until i owned one.

that said,
if your bipod is coming loose you dont have it attached properly.

is the mount loose on the rail?
or does it come loose at the large adjustment knob for the tension underneath?

i always had the cheap ebay atlas knockoffs,
they are very usable,
and work fine when adjusted,
a little sandpaper,grease,
and maybe an oring or 2.

i never understood why people would pay so much for a genuine atlas bipod............................until i owned one.

that said,
if your bipod is coming loose you dont have it attached properly.

is the mount loose on the rail?
or does it come loose at the large adjustment knob for the tension underneath?
There are two adjustments one for tighning the bipod to the picatanny rail.(quick connect lever) This one works fine does not come loose. The knob on the bottom is used for a swival this is the one that gest loose all the time. I think what happens as I move the gun around and when the legs pivot a little it loosens the knob. Also the rubber feet have a tendency to slide a lot.

There are two adjustments one for tighning the bipod to the picatanny rail.(quick connect lever) This one works fine does not come loose. The knob on the bottom is used for a swival this is the one that gest loose all the time. I think what happens as I move the gun around and when the legs pivot a little it loosens the knob. Also the rubber feet have a tendency to slide a lot.

got it,

i have went through the trouble of taking them apart and cleaning/polishing stuff to make them better.

but anymore,when i use them,
i adjust the big knob so that to cant the gun to level the crosshairs,
i just grab both legs and twist it loose about an 1/8th of a turn level the scope and twist it straight again so its tight,
takes a few seconds of fiddling with the knob the first time to get it set but its simple.

and like i said quite stable and usable and i have a few of them.

BUT

my atlas is GLORIOUS :love:

I am not a bipod fan, but for your budget i jave been using a couple that would work fine. Utg pro 360 is very versatile, but i tend to like the vanguard field and target better. The utg locks the vanguard is spongy tension that you can lean into or cant without messing with it. Both of these can be found under $100 new, less used.

20230317_150405.jpg

I'm looking for guidance and advice. Is there a big difference between a bi-pod that is $30 and $150? I have a $30 bipod off amazon and i have to say I'm not impressed. It gets loose after every shot and it's not very stable. So is it worth upgrading to lets say an ACCU-TAC LR10 G2 that's $350? Is a $300-400 bi-pod really necessary for long range precision shooting with a PCP up to 100yd or greater? Can I get away with a cheaper bi-pod and still maintain the same accuracy with all things being equal? I'm looking for something on the value side so under $150 if its possible.

The use case: Mostly shoot from inside the house through a window down range into my back yard. I plink and target shoot. Current gun is a Cricket 2, tuned to 18g JSB's around 922fps. Scope is a Primary Arms primary-arms-4-14x44mm around $350 with rings. I can shoot sub MOA at 50yds with 3 shot groupings but struggle to keep the gun steady at 75+ yards. I currently use a cheap Amazon Bi-Pod and Sandbags. See pic for current setup.

Not taking my breathing, technique, posture and GUN and scope out of the picture and just focus on the bi-pod. I get that breathing, posture and technique is the greatest factor but I'm looking at the tangible side. Can you make some recomendations on what I can buy to increase my accuracy. With a budget of $150. If you think that $150 is not enough then let me know where I need to be. Again just based on equipment as I know not all equipment is equal and CONSISTANT ACCURACY is expensive. Sure there are some great value bi-pods out there that competitive shooters shoot with that aren't 300-400.

View attachment 341230
My shooting site is very similar to yours. I am not a great fan of bipods, although I do have a couple -both cheapies. As a rule I shoot off of Protektor Leather Sandbags and a mechanical front rest. I find it incredibly stable.

Reactions: FIDI_G
For what you are currently doing, you might be better served with front and rear bags. My first bipod a UTG tactical OP-1, very simple and sturdy and work well (12 oz.) Then a UTG Recon 360 TL Bipod, which was nicer, and cants compared to the first, but as @Scotay42, said has a “spongy tension” (14 oz.) Finally an Accu Tac BR4 G2, (20 oz.) yes they’re all bipods, and I still use the other two. But for solidness, ease of solid, quick adjustments in the field or on the bench? The Accu Tac simply out performs the two UTGs.

I have an Atlas and a Accu-Tac, obviously they’re good bipods. But in December I bought a Cros-Tac front bag
and pretty much use it now. The downside of the bag is when not shooting I need to lay the rifle down on the bench so it doesn’t fall. The “front bag” I bought is just a touch tall. I might order the rear bag they sell. The vee in it is a little different but would be fine for me. Attached phot is of rear bag.
Cros-Tac link: https://www.crosstac.com/shooting-bags-rests/

E0AB31A7-E4F6-42E5-BCED-3FEC64D7FD66.jpeg

On the 1st Gen Atlas that was the funky thing that caused me to sell it a month after owning it.
Ha, during a mover stage that darn bipod's legs were swiveled almost parallel to the barrel. It was a poor design from the get go.
I also learned that swiveling bipod feet are also an annoyance.

Back then there weren't but a few decent bipods out there so I stayed with my Harris bipods for years and won lots of matches with them. I still use them once in a while and they are fine for what they are. They have also held up 100% over the last 15 years so decent quality is present in them unlike the knockoffs that friends have.

It comes down to this...for target work the best way to go is to have a heavy and well built bipod with tight tolerances that locks down well at all the joints as well where the gun sits in relation to - see below

I eventually bought a LRA bipod which is good in most ways but it doesn't cant back and forth easy because of stiction so that's its one fault. They might have corrected this later on but I don't know. The main thing I like about the LRA is that the top of the legs are {EDIT almost to the bottom of the barrel} so the gun has a lower center of gravity in the bipod instead of the weight of the gun sitting over the bipod like what is conventional in most bipods. I can definitely shoot better with my LRA than with my Harris bipods!

My advice is to "buy once cry once" and spend the extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
I’ve never heard a serious competitor say I wish I didn’t buy that bad ass bipod! Will you see a difference from the inexpensive knockoff models to the top tier? Absolutely! What’s the best equipment you could buy to make your shooting better… more ammo!
Rounds down range with always be your best bet.
Background: I’ve shot a few matches… I own many of the top brand bipods. I currently use Accu-tac for bench work where I don’t need a lot of adjustment but for PRS/NRL the ckyepod is the bees knees!

Reactions: steve123
After several weeks of researching and understanding that good bipod and the better / best ones are more than I'm willing to spend right now. I had no idea they cost so much. I'm too new to the hobby and not willing to commit to have the best equipment on the first go around. I bought some inexpensive sandbags and they definitely helped.then I bought that clone made several mods with orings and removing the swivel washer and it still not very good. There is just too much play in the arms. Not sure why so many people liked it or find it suitable.
I now inunderstand why there is a huge diffrence between the real thing a cheap knockoff. However I dont want to spend $300 but still want to be able to hit small targets at 80-100 yds. Its gonna be impossible to do with that Atlas clone at my skill level. Way to much shakiness really spoiling the experience. I now believe the addage that accuracy cost money and i absolutely belive that. I know technique, breathing, posture and practice play the largest role.
I considered getting a front rest and still may do so as I think this is a great option and considered better bags. The bags would be tricky with manuvering to diffrent targets in the yard. Infind it much easier to adjust the height of the legs

I do think think that I have found a middle ground and a decent compromise for my skill level and budget. So basically a sandbag and decent bi- pod. I think is my best option to help me improve on steadying my shots and hitting tighter groups.

I have been using this Neotter Tiltable Foldable Quick Release Bipod, 7-9 Inches https://a.co/d/47J92Du looks like a copy of the accutak br4. Now I wont dare compare to the real thing but its night and day more stable than the atlas clone I picked up. There are three negatives. The biggest drawback is the plastic feet it feels like roller blades and does impact performance..The second is adjustment cant knob it does a good job of staying tight but the lever that is spring tensioned is wobbly. Doesnt effect performance
And the last drawback is the feet. When there fully retracted they are not locked in place. All in all it has been a big improvement to my overall shooting.

Last edited:
After several weeks of researching and understanding that good bipod and the better / best ones are more than I'm willing to spend right now. I had no idea they cost so much. I'm too new to the hobby and not willing to commit to have the best equipment on the first go around. I bought some inexpensive sandbags and they definitely helped.then I bought that clone made several mods with orings and removing the swivel washer and it still not very good. There is just too much play in the arms. Not sure why so many people liked it or find it suitable.
I now inunderstand why there is a huge diffrence between the real thing a cheap knockoff. However I dont want to spend $300 but still want to be able to hit small targets at 80-100 yds. Its gonna be impossible to do with that Atlas clone at my skill level. Way to much shakiness really spoiling the experience. I now believe the addage that accuracy cost money and i absolutely belive that. I know technique, breathing, posture and practice play the largest role.
I considered getting a front rest and still may do so as I think this is a great option and considered better bags. The bags would be tricky with manuvering to diffrent targets in the yard. Infind it much easier to adjust the height of the legs

I do think think that I have found a middle ground and a decent compromise for my skill level and budget. So basically a sandbag and decent bi- pod. I think is my best option to help me improve on steadying my shots and hitting tighter groups.

I have been using this Neotter Tiltable Foldable Quick Release Bipod, 7-9 Inches https://a.co/d/47J92Du looks like a copy of the accutak br4. Now I wont dare compare to the real thing but its night and day more stable than the atlas clone I picked up. There are three negatives. The biggest drawback is the plastic feet it feels like roller blades and does impact performance..The second is adjustment cant knob it does a good job of staying tight but the lever that is spring tensioned is wobbly. Doesnt effect performance
And the last drawback is the feet. When there fully retracted they are not locked in place. All in all it has been a big improvement to my overall shooting.

seriously,
the atlas knockoff you already have should work fine.

there are youtube videos about improving the knockoffs.

seriously,
the atlas knockoff you already have should work fine.

there are youtube videos about improving the knockoffs.
I agree i did the mods. Two orings. I also did the other mod that removes the cant by entirely removing the concave washer. And your right it does help. Unfortunately the mods do nothing for the slop on the legs. They shouldn't be moving like they do. The round notch is the issue. Its not as stable as it needs to be.

The Neotter is much better even with the mods. But it also has other issues fortunately stability in the legs is not one of them. Ive put the Atlas clone on the bench. I wish I had bought it from amazon that way I could return it. My real only grip with the Neotter are the shoes which I'm replacing. They are super hard and dont grip at all.
I can definately see a few mods that would make this this a steller buy but would intale some light machining to shorten the leg so it locks onto the latch in the shortest position. Right now the leg is about 1/4" to long and doest catch the latch. In hoping the new feet I ordered will grip a bit more.

20230324_142141.jpg

I know your now comparing to the real deal but I have this same knock off I also have a real deal accutac on my Begara 300 prc there is no comparison the size is smaller the knock off is lighter and does not have the same ridged feel. With that said I have the knock off on a .223 WYLDE ar and it does just fine. Would I put it on my 300 prc no way but for a pcp all day it would be just fine

Reactions: FIDI_G