Best Barrel Sleeve Material?

What method are you using to (Test the orings) are you reinstalling the factory rings or testing other configuration and or number of orings?.
Pretty much the floating liners (sitting on orings) perform=scores better then any CF sleeved liners. I have recorded the scores shooting @ 100 meters, target rings.

20230425_235059.jpg

Based on my records I have 6 liners that I converted back to real floating, also removed any barrel tensioning "device".
- two .25x700
- two .25x600 and
- two .22x600
This is me, and your application may be different.

Pretty much the floating liners (sitting on orings) perform=scores better then any CF sleeved liners. I have recorded the scores shooting @ 100 meters, target rings.

View attachment 358063

Based on my records I have 6 liners that I converted back to real floating, also removed any barrel tensioning "device".
- two .25x700
- two .25x600 and
- two .22x600
This is me, and your application may be different.
You obviously have of experience testing the liners. I have a M3 22 cal with a 600MM that I have owned for over a year and have done nothing to it except one slight tune change so don’t take this question as I am questioning your methods but if you are converting these liners back to orings I am assuming you did not epoxy any of them . Have you tested the difference between using a liner epoxied to one with the stock orings ?

ER has a video for bonding the cf to the liner and 68 whiskey in an interview with AEAC said he bonded his.
One thing that concerns me is someone mentioned freezing the barrel to install in a cf sleeve. That's the worst thing you could do! Cf and most metals will interact with each other and the metal will corrode through a process called electrolysis aka a battery. The only metals that I know of that won't do this is stainless steel and titanium and of course gold but that would never be considered.😁 As far as having pb type barrels on a PCP, yeah if you want something really heavy. We already have to carry around an hp air supply which pb don't have to.

Last edited:
I’ve tried Teflon plumbers tape and it just comes straight off. How are you getting it to remain in the CF sleeve

Teflon tape comes in a wide variety of quality. The stuff you get at Home Depot and Lowe’s is garbage. A good quality teflon tape can be stretched more than cheap teflon tape can and results in a tighter fit to the surface it is being applied to.

Reactions: josh9465
The barrel of my Maverick, is shrouded by 3 Carbonfiber tubes each fitting nicely over the other ( light press fit ) and onto the barrel sleeve, and up to a diameter like the factory shroud, so a very thick carbon fiber layer around my barrel.

Went this route as going from 600 mm barrel to 700 mm and FX stuff ( shroud + 700 mm barrel shroud ) was extremely expensive, so got a +100 mm extension and slabbed carbon fiber around instead, and still had lots of money to spare.

I epoxied a carbon fiber sleeve to my Urban barrel. This was due to destroying the "pickle" inadvertently when I double fed a pellet early on. Surgery via propane torch removed the pickle cleanly but then I had to address the ugly end. I found a cf tube that was a snug but slip fit. I used a slow cure epoxy to allow a good bond. I also fitted a 1/2X20 adapter to the muzzle and butted it to the new carbon fiber sleeve. The rifle was accurate before but more accurate now.

Reactions: josh9465