• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Back yard friendly PCP

...Benjamin Cayden w/ Sumo or Shogun and Alpha 6 scope...???....

They don’t make the Cayden in .25 that I am aware of. Also, I assume the Hades was supposed to be 26.54?

truckr - Is the $800 budget including optics and mounts? And you’re definitely going to need a moderator to get it backyard friendly, especially since you want around 50 FPE.

Keep in mind the power your thinking of running. Would you shoot a silenced .22 LR in your back yard? How far are you shooting and how close is your neighbors and are they in line of fire despite your back stop? Are you pesting or just target shooting? There was a good post yesterday that addressed all this when a guys neighbor came over complaining that slugs were bouncing off his garage. Turned out the .22 slugs were going through the shooters target trap with plywood and 1/8” aluminum plate then his garage plywood wall and still had enough energy to reach his neighbors building. Just shows how powerful these PCP guns are. Think safety first before shooting close to other property especially when pesting with no backstops.

You may want to post a WTB on the classified section of AGNation that outlines your requirements and then see what kind of responses you get back. With the new FX, Daystate, and other vendors fielding their new weapons, you will most likely find someone who is selling a used weapon that meets your velocity/power requirements and is at the right price.

...I missed the .25 part...I did just buy a "Micro Trains" engine in a "Marklin" box off ebay...fukin details...

...My Air Force Escape rifle is backyard freindly with a DonnyFL Emperor on it...but as noted the pellet strikes may not be...this is why do not shoot it much...as noted on another thread it is also a bit like shooting a suppressed .22 LR in the back yard...not really cool...

...for a while I was sticking to 500 fps .17 cal shooting, but I have been "big game" hunting rather than plinking or sparrow shooting and using a more powerful .22...

...the terminal ballistics are a thing to be considered in "back yard friendly" IMHO...

Marauder still seems the king of quiet. Main problem might be the desire to sling that much lead quietly. On any gun, Marauder included, the more power, the louder the gun. My Marauder in .22 is tuned down to about 22 foot pounds, and is around 80 Decibels. That's very backyard friendly. If you bump to a .25 caliber that's probably not as back yard friendly.

What are you going to be shooting at that requires 50fpe in your "back yard"? That was my first question.

Then you said " i shoot nutters out to 60 yards", so I am assuming you are after tree rats/Squirrels.

Well, IMHO, I think you are wanting what I call overkill. .177 @ 12fpe can take tree rats at 60 yards if the accuracy is there. And do it MUCH more quietly.

50fpe is overkill for tree rats. Even at 60 yards using .25 caliber, especially if you are really concerned about the noise level. jmho

Now, tell us what you really want and why? (chuckle)

Benjamin Kratos.

Mine unmodded runs 400 to 877 FPS with Kings with a simple twist of the power knob.

On low power the Kratos is very quiet. If you adjust your hammer spring to give you 500 FPS at low power, with a twist of the power knob your getting close to 50 FPE on high power.

You have four ways to make it quieter, lower the power and shoot 34 grain pellets, get an 1/2 x 20 adapter for the shroud and use a ldc, remove the entire very effective shroud and use the 1/2x20 threads on the end of the barrel for a ldc, if you want to be very stealthy, build a sound box and use any of these methods with a sound box. The sound box is great for bench shooting and off hand shooting, but unless you hire sherpa’s to carry it, no so good for squirrel hunting.

Regards,

Roachcreek