Best Ammo for HW 30 .22?

Hey friends, I recently got me a .22 HW30 Urban Pro from AoA. Last night I cleaned up the barrel with liquid AoA Bore Cleaner, then J-B Bore Paste, followed by more AoA bore cleaner, then patchworm til the patches came out clean. I took off the wood to see what I can see with the powerplant and linkages, everything looked Aye OK. Torqued the stock back on 20 inch-pounds and threw on the included SportsMatch UK rings and Weihrauch 4 power scope.

I ran various pellets at 10 yards indoors, trying to find “the one” for her. She isn’t stacking pellets at 10 yards like her .177 sister -a PlainJane Krale Schietsport HW30 with a diopter sight. No pointe in going outside if I can’t get a cloverleaf or better at 10 yards inside with no wind. I’ve shot 200 or so pellets, maybe she’s still “leading in”. Early chrono results were spitting out extreme spreads of around 50 fps, first 100 shots sometimes had big puffs of “smoke”. Once in a while there would be an unusually loud bang accompanied with a very low velocity fps in the 300’s. This morning, I rolled the pellets in a tin spritzed with a trace amount of silicone lube and the extreme spreads are getting better, the groups are tightening up (might be a natural progression of “breaking-in” rather than a result of lube), but hey, who doesn’t enjoy some lube now and then? So far the best ammo is between GTO and H&N Green, both somewhere around 12gr weight. Unfortunately I don’t have any .22 wadcutters on hand to try. Boy I tell you what, I didn’t go through this much pre-flight prep with any of the other HW’s in this house over the years and they had me smiling within the first dozen shots out of the box.

Any input from ya’ll with HW30/R7 .22 experience would be appreciated. Even sharing some .22 HW30/R7 “War Stories” would be cool. 

BZO100 

Don’t waist your good (expensive) pellets at this point. Unless you are prepared to tear it down and get the excess oil out, then you need to shoot it out. Take a Q-tip and keep cleaning the transfer port hole in the receiver along with running an occasional dry patch down the barrel. The dieseling and smoking will eventually stop. Use the cheapest ammo you got. You will even see the worst groups start tightening up. When you can blow down the barrel and get no smoke then start your pellet selection. 

My HW30 likes the JSB 13.43 grain pellets best, and I had the same issue with dieseling too. I had shot about 300 shots and it definitely was doing better. Since I’m not handy at working on guns I sent it to John in Pa. for a tune and Vortek kit. It’s supposed to be back today or Monday.
97C8A745-8377-46AB-A37F-C0610333C7E6.1647087740.jpeg
81538890-B9B3-4AA0-9D54-BBFA79D2186F.1647087741.jpeg

You can push a pellet through the bore with a rod to see how it feels. If it's a threaded barrel, it's likely you will feel that it is very tight near the breech, and there is little or no choke at the muzzle. Which is a problem.

But. it's never going to shoot well with a 50-100fps spread. 

If it doesn't clear up soon, or the barrel feels like I described, you may want to send it back. 

Pellets on the larger side will likely do best, try the H&N FTT in 5.53-5,54mm size.