• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Alternative to Ballistic Gel?

Nothing beats the real deal. This is a 17.5 gr. NSA .22 cal. removed from a squirrel.

1591628999_9277571275ede54c7ab1990.93064107.jpg

Velocity? That seems like a pretty small animal to produce such expansion, according to some.

Nothing beats the real deal. This is a 17.5 gr. NSA .22 cal. removed from a squirrel.

1591628999_9277571275ede54c7ab1990.93064107.jpg

Velocity? That seems like a pretty small animal to produce such expansion, according to some.

My RTI Priest launches them about 900 fps at 1600 psi reg. pressure. This one was only 10 yards away. Was a little surprised it didn't pass through. I've had very good expansion with the 17.5 gr. and 20.2 gr. NSA's.

I've used plumber's putty, but I'm sure modeling clay is less expensive. Any of these things is a good base of comparison between pellets, but I haven't found anything that is really reliable in determining how a pellet or bullet will perform in an animal. Too many variables between skin, bone, internal organs, etc. For the little critters dispatched with air rifles, I think it's a good idea to use the softest testing medium available. A pellet that shows good expansion in solid clay, may shoot through a squirrel with little or no expansion. But, I've never used a pellet that wasn't totally effective if placed in the brain! I've decided it's more useful for me to practice shooting than testing terminal performance. 

I've used plumber's putty, but I'm sure modeling clay is less expensive. Any of these things is a good base of comparison between pellets, but I haven't found anything that is really reliable in determining how a pellet or bullet will perform in an animal. Too many variables between skin, bone, internal organs, etc. For the little critters dispatched with air rifles, I think it's a good idea to use the softest testing medium available. A pellet that shows good expansion in solid clay, may shoot through a squirrel with little or no expansion. But, I've never used a pellet that wasn't totally effective if placed in the brain! I've decided it's more useful for me to practice shooting than testing terminal performance. 

Agree. But we did eat squirrel brains when I was really young so we often tried to avoid that particular approach. It sure works well, though.

Yep I’m with YO

i bought some off Amazon w free shipping. Think it’s called plasticine. Comes in blocks. 
if you shoot it in block form and cut it through the shot you get to see the channel the projectile makes. Then just kneed it and reuse. I like to make small squirrels out of it and shoot at long distance. Or Tele-tubbies work too. Haha 

1591811300_9323378465ee11ce431c813.08812539.jpeg

100 yds