• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Best all around PCP

Ok so here it is. I just got into PCP air guns. I shot powder guns and hunted from the time I could follow my dad around in the woods hunting squirrels Rabit Deer Etc. In my early 40's I just got tired of it one day and quit for whatever reason. I quit shooting all together till one day I ran into a video of the Air Venturi Avenger by accident. It took me about a year to talk myself into it but finally did it and now I'm excited to get back into this. But and a big but I'm not overall crazy about the Avenger it's a "tinker's gun" I'm not into that I already have a buyer in mind so there's no issue there but now I need to replace it. I'm looking for a rifle that can do it all without a lot of fuss. Whether its just a day of shooting off the bench or hunting I want something that just works. I was considering the FX Impact but I see a lot of mixed emotions out of what's supposed to be the best air rifle ever made. I know I want .25 cal thats for sure and I know I am only worried about pellets not slugs because I will never use it to shoot anything bigger then a squirrel. I think $2500 will be my limit money wise want to see what the experienced experts say. Thanks.

Reactions: 17dean
I could not for the life of me every recommend a bullpup with cocking lever at the rear of the gun as well as the action by where you rest your face, its just not ergonomic, anytime I see a bullpup in this configuration I immediately dismiss it, personal choice.

-Matt
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 6.34.52 PM.jpg
:ROFLMAO:

I have a pro Chorny DLX it was the second thing I bought when I decided to get into this so thats not an issue. The 33.95 JSB is what I wanted to use but the avenger didn't like it. It wanted the H&N barracuda at 30.89, so I have about 800 rounds of that laying around (lol my mistake) I absolutely want to put some lead out there. Over kill is underrated IMHO
Hey Ruzz,

Don’t discard those 30.89 Baracudas - my .25 RTI Prophet shoots them well out to 100 yards.

Raider03 gives great advice here.
If you are only occasionally going to shoot 75 to 100 yards, you have more options with rifles. You need to be realistic with how far you will normally be shooting pellets. A rifle optimized for pellet shooting at 75+ yards is a bit specialized.

A .25 shooting 25g pellets at 875fps at 60 yards and in would be a sweet setup… just my 2 cents…

-Ed

@Goldwing

You've shared this before.....a couple times.....
The way Rick is cocking is a choice (a poor one at that). He's making it harder than it really is.

The OP stated his wants:
Not a tinkerer
No fuss
Something that just works
Pellet specific
Under $2500

The Veteran fits all of that, and even leaves room for a scope and air supply.

I'm sorry that your experience with Veterans went so poorly. You're in the minority, and entitled to an opinion, same as the other 99% of Vet owners. That 99% being the guys that love them for all of the reasons the OP includes as his "wants."
@ Franklink

Sir, I understand your input. However, I can't accept the percentages you quoted. Three of us on this thread alone don't like the ergonomics of the Tiapan Vet. That means you need to find another 297 people on this form that do like ergonomics of the Tiapan Vet. I doubt you have actual data to back up the stated percentages.

@ Franklink

Sir, I understand your input. However, I can't accept the percentages you quoted. Three of us on this thread alone don't like the ergonomics of the Tiapan Vet. That means you need to find another 297 people on this form that do like ergonomics of the Tiapan Vet. I doubt you have actual data to back up the stated percentages.

Your data set is a bit skewed. We've got a squeaky wheel gets the grease kinda thing going on here. Especially b/c I think at least one of your 3 hasn't ever shot a Vet.

But I'll concede that it's maybe not 99% of all shooters. Notice I say "all shooters" because lots of guys have never shot or held a Veteran but they'll jump on to say the rear-cocking is a problem.

So, correction....something like 90% of actual Veteran owners (past or present) are quite happy with them, rear cocking and all.

(90% satisfied still makes unhappy Vet owners a small minority, which is the point I was making, not specifically that exactly 99% are happy, of course that 99% would need to come with a 95% confidence interval and p value less than or equal to 0.05. Yes, that is sarcasm).

Your data set is a bit skewed. We've got a squeaky wheel gets the grease kinda thing going on here. Especially b/c I think at least one of your 3 hasn't ever shot a Vet.

But I'll concede that it's maybe not 99% of all shooters. Notice I say "all shooters" because lots of guys have never shot or held a Veteran but they'll jump on to say the rear-cocking is a problem.

So, correction....something like 90% of actual Veteran owners (past or present) are quite happy with them, rear cocking and all.

(90% satisfied still makes unhappy Vet owners a small minority, which is the point I was making, not specifically that exactly 99% are happy, of course that 99% would need to come with a 95% confidence interval and p value less than or equal to 0.05. Yes, that is sarcasm).
Looks technically correct, not sarcasm at all.

No, but I can understand the difficulty in collecting validate useful data.
Sounds like you need a poll to determine the exact percentage. Or at least a properly designed study, perhaps the results could be submitted to a scientific journal of some sort.

I was working off the notion of how we see a very vocal minority (usually the same couple guys) being negative about the Veterans rear cocking, while the vast majority of Veteran comments here on the forum are guys extolling their virtues. ("Guys extolling virtues" = much more than 2-3 individuals).

Anyway, back to the poor OPs search for a gun. The Veteran fits your requirements buddy, do some research and see what you think. And realize that you got the three anti-Vet guys (repeat customers some of them) taking their opportunity to poo poo on the rear cocking.

Sounds like you need a poll to determine the exact percentage. Or at least a properly designed study, perhaps the results could be submitted to a scientific journal of some sort.

I was working off the notion of how we see a very vocal minority (usually the same couple guys) being negative about the Veterans rear cocking, while the vast majority of Veteran comments here on the forum are guys extolling their virtues. ("Guys extolling virtues" = much more than 2-3 individuals).

Anyway, back to the poor OPs search for a gun. The Veteran fits your requirements buddy, do some research and see what you think. And realize that you got the three anti-Vet guys (repeat customers some of them) taking their opportunity to poo poo on the rear cocking.
Please, accept my apology for not being offended at your personal attack and sarcasm.
Many people's response to this type of post based on their personal emotional connection with their preferred brand and model. I prefer to provide a more rational response to the OP.
If you need to have the last word on this exchange please do. Have a great Friday and enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:
These type of threads always follow the same theme; everyone recommends their favorite gun, and we all have one. The fact is there are an abundance of good guns available and many can be bought used if you want to save money. But one area which is seldom mentioned, is service after the sale. And in my opinion this is one of the most important factors to consider. I can't speak on brands which I have not owned, but regarding my experience with Daystate/Broock and FX, FX service comes out way ahead. Perhaps others will comment as I have. Just something to consider before you buy...

These type of threads always follow the same theme; everyone recommends their favorite gun, and we all have one. The fact is there are an abundance of good guns available and many can be bought used if you want to save money. But one area which is seldom mentioned, is service after the sale. And in my opinion this is one of the most important factors to consider. I can't speak on brands which I have not owned, but regarding my experience with Daystate/Broock and FX, FX service comes out way ahead. Perhaps others will comment as I have. Just something to consider before you buy..

Thats the funny thing about the above exchange, I didn't recommend my current favorite gun, but rather the one that fits this guys stated requirements.

I've had great service on 2/3 BRK guns that I've spent time with that needed service. The third didn't have any issues to service.

Service is a good point, having owned an abundant of different rifles from different manufacturers, including daystate, fx, agt, etc ... American Air Arms service after the fact absolutely TRUMPS ALL.

If you can find a used Evol or Taipan, those would be the two I recommend hands down for everything the OP asked for. However you likely won't need service with either. I only needed it due to an abusive previous owner on my Evol Mini.

Reactions: madeintheuk
Even Taipan knows the Taipan Vet was a stupid design and change it a bit but still inferior with having the action and mag in your face in the back
As long as you don't follow the design of a REAL firearm your looking at a crap rifle, not to mention a bullpup
The action and mag of a superior design will always be in FRONT of your face NOT behind
Just look at how the Taipan Vet pulls you out of posistion to cock, try huting with this bullpup joke
I have the right to my intelligent opinion without the BS name calling

View attachment 377924View attachment 377925
Taipan 2 has the cocking lever up by the trigger.

as being as AAA doesn’t make a 25cal yet, I’d also recommend the veteran. Others I’d recommend is the new brk line, and Raw. All tend to be more rugged than FX (sorry not sorry).
The end of this year looks bright for AAA as they’ve said they will have a 25 cal offering. I will be one of the first to buy. In the mean time, I’ll be using my vet that I just installed the tactical chassis on to fit ME better. Rear cocking isn’t an issue with the trouble free stupid accuracy of the vet. You won’t need a quick follow up shot!!

F5A9B4A0-E92E-44CF-B1F0-81DDB51A4C9F.jpeg

The first two vets l owned for a couple months and sold them. Why? Because I did not like the rear cocking lever. All my other guns had forward cocking and it was weird going back and forth between them. A few years past and I bought a Vet Compact on a whim and I just fell in love with that little booger. It wasn’t difficult to cock in the field nor was it on the bench. My previous Vets were the Long and Standard size but truly I didn’t really give them a fair chance. I was VERY vocal on the forums stating that the rear cocking was a deal breaker (for me) but in all reality, now that I’ve had the Compact for a year or two, it’s no big deal.

The accuracy, awesome trigger, docile handling in the field or from a bench and ease of tuning is why I suggested it to the OP. Everyone is certainly welcome to their opinion but I would not diss a Vet now without serious research from the folks who own or have owned them and given them a fair chance to learn the platform’s robust qualities.

Last edited:
The first two vets lI owned for a couple months and sold them. Why? Because I did not like the rear cocking lever. All my other guns had forward cocking and it was weird going back and forth between them. Then I bought a Vet Compact on a whim and I just fell in love with that little booger. Itnwasn’t difficult to cock in the field nor was it on the bench. My previous Vets were the Long and Standard size but truly I disn’t really give them a fair chance. I was vocal on the forums stating that I didn’t like the rear cocking but really now that I’ve had the Compact for a year or two it’s no big deal.

The accuracy, awesome trigger, docile handling in the field or from a bench and ease of tuning is why I suggested it to the OP. Everyone is certainly welcome to their opinion but I would not diss is without serious research from the folks who own or have owned them and given them a fair chance to learn the platform’s qualities.
Well said, Sir! 🫡

as being as AAA doesn’t make a 25cal yet, I’d also recommend the veteran. Others I’d recommend is the new brk line, and Raw. All tend to be more rugged than FX (sorry not sorry).
The end of this year looks bright for AAA as they’ve said they will have a 25 cal offering. I will be one of the first to buy. In the mean time, I’ll be using my vet that I just installed the tactical chassis on to fit ME better. Rear cocking isn’t an issue with the trouble free stupid accuracy of the vet. You won’t need a quick follow up shot!!

View attachment 378026
The new chassis makes look so bad ass… love the no follow up shots needed, analogy…

Reactions: igolfat8