Best All-Around PCP .22 Rifle for $300+/-

Having a history mainly with break-barrel rifles, Imy knowledge of PCP's is very limited; however, I am getting tired of the time it takes to reload a break-barrel combined with the greater recoil that results from the piston hitting the end of the air chamber. Based on some reviews on the DAR Gen II, I bought one of those less than a month ago, and, after 40 or so rounds, the rifle would not hold pressure any longer. I sent that one back for a refund.

Now, I am looking for a PCP that does not have as many quality control issues to replace the DAR. I have been reading up on various things like regulated vs. unregulated, barrel bands, pumping effort (since I will be using a hand pump), price, and other things. I would like to get a decent rifle that will shoot more than 40 rounds without breaking down that also has good accuracy and velocity. Some I have considered include (from low to high price): Beeman Commander, Stoeger XM1 S4, Gamo Urban, Umarex Gauntlet, and Air Venturi Avenger. I have read a bit about quality control issues with Beeman and Air Venturi, and issues of barrel droop with Umarex since it does not have a barrel band. Most like the DAR Gen II, so maybe I just got a bad one and should try another?.

Unless doing some game hunting, is there that much of an advantage concerning regulated vs. unregulated? I have noticed that with more parts (like regulators) comes more upkeep/problems concerning any mechanical device.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Urban. I bought one used for my buddies son. I wanted to make sure his first PCP experience wasn’t a bad one so I spent some time with it before he paid me for it. I ignored the the hatred I have for plastic stocks when I first started shooting it. It was very comfortable. It’s accuracy with 14.3gr pellets from various manufacturers was stellar. I’m super picky so and since it came with 3 mags I wanted it to be a 3 mag and refill gun. I had the gun tuned to shoot 3 mags starting at 810fps up to 830fps then back down to 810fps. The gun wasn’t loud but I knew it would be more silent if I took care of the hammer bounce so I built a SSG for it. It made a difference but isn’t necessary. I wrote down his fill and refill pressures for him and I think it’s like 40-50 pumps with the China pump it came with. All I can say is after getting it dialed in and scrubbing the barrel, I was a little dumbfounded by the groups it produced at 50yrds with Walmart Crosmans. Good cheap PCP.

Reactions: thammer
I have to agree with Vetmx, I vote for the urban. I think the gen 2 gauntlet and the avenger are good, but since I don’t own them, I can’t really say. I do own some higher end rifles, edgun, ataman, weihrauch, all fine, but I still kept the urban. I’ve tried several lower end pcps, but the urban for me is a great back up, loaner rifle for me and beats many other rifles that I have used. 
6ADB7F3F-7CD1-4113-B011-77C32729BCCB.1639543701.jpeg
I have to take into consideration how much I paid for the urban, it was 199.99. I think I would pay 299.99, but not a penny more though. 

Reactions: thammer
You can build your very own Crosman 22xx PCP for just over $300. Then you have a gun with so many Crosman and aftermarket parts that it can make your head spin.

This is a very simple gun and YouTube vids are available although most likely not needed.

2240XL

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-2240xl-co2-air-pistol-22-cal-steel-breech?m=5117

Stock

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-1399-custom-shoulder-stock-fits-many-crosman-pistols?a=198

PCP tubes

https://cothranmachine.com/ss-2260-pcp-tube/

http://mountainaircustomairguns.com/faq/

Bulk kit

https://www.bakerairguns.com/product/max-flow-system-for-crosman-copy/

You may need three grade eight 8x32 screws if they are not provided with the bulk kit or tube.

If you want a repeater you can do this.

https://www.airgun-parts-shop.co.uk/pages/which-magazine-do-i-need

https://www.airgun-parts-shop.co.uk/collections/steel-breech-magazines/products/10-shot-magazine-for-crosman-2240-2250-steel-breech

Now enjoy your DIY custom Crosman.

Edit:

Oops I fergot the barrel they are 30-$50 on eBay. This puts you 20-$30 over your budget. Length will depend on your air tube choice.

Lots of ways of doing things

All that have been mentioned, I have not really ever heard anyone complain about the Urban. Another one to look at would be the DAR that I believe is in this price point.

The Dar is the one that he had problems with and send it back because it wouldn’t hold air. I seen when you did a review on one. It was a good review. I think he just got a lemon. We all know that it can happen with any brand no matter the cost.

I have the .22 Gauntlet, regulated, bottle fed pcp, (lots of shots between fills) mine likes 3 different pellets, RWS Superfields, Crosman Hollowpoints and the standard, JSB 15.89. It uses Crosman/Umarex magazines and single shot adapters. Plenty of aftermarket support and really reasonable price if you shop for it. Down side, it is loooonnnngggg… I have been shooting mine to 100 yds and enjoying it. I also have a Benjamin Maximus, it shoots JSB 13.43 lights out to 70 yds, haven’t tried it beyond that. It is 2000 psi gun, not a lot of shots, but accurate within the pressure parameters, same with the Beeman QB. Only problem with the Beeman was the foster fitting had to be replaced for a leak, very accurate with JSB/AA 15.89 and 18.1 gr pellets. Benjamin and Maximus are not magazine fed, and are loud without a Mod.

Of the rifles you have listed above, I own an Avenger in .22 and a DAR in .177 and .25.

I have shot the Gauntlet, and the Commander is basically a Gauntlet with an air tube instead of the regulated Ninja bottle...

I have held an Urban at my local sporting goods store, and it did handle well, but that is the only info I have on it...

Of the rifles you have listed, the DAR would be my first choice. I know you had a bad one, but they really are good rifles for the money. Their build quality is probably the best of the rifles you have mentioned with the exception of the Urban. 

The Gauntlet is also a good rifle, but not nearly as refined as the DAR in my opinion. Power is adjustable, but more difficult to do than the DAR or Avenger.

The Avenger is a good rifle too, and can be pumped up to 3000psi with a hand pump relatively easy and would provide a far about of shots depending on where you have it tuned. It is easy to tune to your specific needs which is nice.

Oh yes, tuning.

Do you have a chronograph? Or access to one? They are vital to airgun tuning.

All air rifles are mechanical and as such require maintenance and at some point they will need to have components replaced. That's just how it is. O-rings in pcp rifles are like the tires on your car. They wear out and sometimes they just blow out prematurely. 

Biohazardman

what kind of FPE are people getting with modded crossman 22XX???

Hard to say cuz you can do allot of crazy mods to them. I have one, with the nasty Cothran valve, doing 100 fpe in 9mm and 150fpe as an arrowgun and it weighs like five lbs so insane it is. Most I see are between 25 and 30fpe though. You can tune them up anyway you want although the tubes are small so, I expect most keep the power down so they have a decent shot count. I only get three shots from my monster gun cuz it used to be a pistol so the tube is short.

No chronograph, and the spring- and nitro-powered break barrels I have used up to this point cannot be tuned. Thus, my knowledge of o-ring replacement, tuning, rebuilding, etc. is pretty limited as the break barrels have only trigger adjustments (depending on the brand) and require some silicone oil and barrel cleaning now and then.

In reading reviews about AV Avenger, it seems to have leak issues as well. Even though I am in decent shape, the Avenger seems as though it would take a LOT more deep knee bends to get it pumped with a hand pump.

No chronograph, and the spring- and nitro-powered break barrels I have used up to this point cannot be tuned. Thus, my knowledge of o-ring replacement, tuning, rebuilding, etc. is pretty limited as the break barrels have only trigger adjustments (depending on the brand) and require some silicone oil and barrel cleaning now and then.

In reading reviews about AV Avenger, it seems to have leak issues as well. Even though I am in decent shape, the Avenger seems as though it would take a LOT more deep knee bends to get it pumped with a hand pump.

You might want to take a little time to familiarize yourself with pcp repair and tuning before you purchase another one...

No matter how much you spend, eventually you will have to take the gun apart to service/repair it, or pay someone to do it for you.

A chronograph is vital to maintaining and monitoring the "health" of your airgun(even springers) you should get one.

I contacted him after replying to you, and he told me that this rifle does not come with any spare o-rings/parts. I assume that the o-rings would be metric? It is harder to find metric o-rings in my area as opposed to SAE.

Also, I am debating whether to phone DAR tomorrow and ask about sending a replacement rather than a refund. Since the DAR and the BSA Buccaneer would be essentially the same price, do you think the BSA to be a better rifle for the price? I noticed that the muzzle velocity is less than the DAR; however, I always understood previously that a longer barrel (like the BSA has) equals better accuracy. I will be shooting Crosman Premier hollow point 14.3 grain since I have a little more than 1,500 of them left.

Thanks