Best air gun for hunting?

Benjamin bulldog 357 is a good option for that price range they also have a 457 as well you can find them on Amazon for about 700 dollars there is also the umarex hammer 50cal for about 800 but if you want to splurge go for the impact 35 you won't be disappointed also check the laws in your state for minimum caliber cuz it would suck to buy one then not be able to use it well there's my 2 cents hope it helps

Deer ? ... I would go with a Texan .50 or .45

I wouldn't touch any of the mentioned above, unless.......unless you where shooting AirBlots out of them.
@yourwoodenchef I agree with @AncientSword and @AirArcher66 on the Airforce Texan. I haven’t taken a deer with a Bulldog so the jury is still out on that one. However, there are companies that do powerful modifications that can beef up a .357 Benjamin Bulldog’s power, but the modded versions exceed your stated price range. We also can’t forget about the newer .457 Bulldog. I’ve only seen them in videos, but the specs suggest that it’s more than adequate to take down deer, but at $1099 it’s a little over $1000. A .457 or .50 Texan are good choices. Also take a look at a Seneca Dragon Claw .50 and some AEA offerings. Seen a lot of positive reports on some AEA models this year. @Cheplicki is another member I recommend asking for an opinion on a suitable airgun to hunt deer. I’ve seen videos of him harvesting deer using several types of airguns. Below are some other air rifles to inquire about within your price range. It’s up to you to determine which is best for your intended purpose.

.50 Seneca Dragonclaw combo (rifle, scope, rings, air bolts, quiver, and broadhead tool) $999.99 ($719.99 for rifle alone).

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/seneca-dragon-claw-500cc-ultimate-hunters-combo?m=4487

AEA Challenger $609

AEA SS Max $659
.457 Benjamin Bulldog

Last edited:
i have had and deer hunted with the texan .457 SS, the texan .457, the umarex hammer,
the fx impact .35, the pitbull bulldog, dragon claw, Uragan .30 and the aea challenger sl .357.
all have did a great job of getting it done.
this season i'm using my new Hatsan Piledriver .457. and so far its done very well.
Rick Rehm says it best......hatsan should have named it Tack-driver !!
i have taken 2 hogs with it last month from 70 yrds and 110 yrds.
and yesterday a Buck from 30yrds.
the only guns i have mentioned earlier that i still own is the Uragan .30
and the aea sl .357.
i really like the accuracy and power the piledriver has.
time will tell

Last edited:
IMHO there is no DEFINITIVE answer to questions like these. The variables that enter into it (personal preference, individual's skill set, gun's dependability, long range accuracy, etc.) You get the picture, ask 30 people & get 30 different answers. What car is best for racing, what guitar is best for soloing, what pan is best for cooking, what book is best for reading? We could go on & on. These types of questions have been asked time & again here. There haven't been many DEFINITIVE answers.

Reactions: SHOMER
A big part is check your local hunting regulations for minimum power requirements, the .357 Bulldog does not make the required energy for Michigan. Or at least mine doesn’t, but I do have a hole box of Pittbull mods in the basement.

Anyway if I was to do it over, buying a rifle for large game it would be the AirForce Texan, 800ft/lbs, removable air tanks, and everything I read talks about excellent accuracy. And that’s with a stock factory gun. After mods and tuning who knows the potential.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
A big part is check your local hunting regulations for minimum power requirements
This is extremely important. For the state he has associated with his profile most calibers mentioned (except for .30) are acceptable according to what I read for Arizona hunting regs which appears to be .35 or higher caliber. If in doubt, here are good resources for reference.

State by state guide (be sure to check with the site of the actual state agency that oversees and enforces hunting regulations).

For Arizona specifically check here (see PDF pgs 14-15 ) https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pant...e/2022-Arizona-Hunting-Regulations_220616.pdf

Source of the pdf is the Arizona Game & Fish Department (obtained from within the Pyramyd Air link). https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/regulations/files/

Last edited:
The Edgun leshiy 2 IMO is by far the best air gun for hunting. Accurate, compact, lightweight, reliable, easy to fix and semi auto. By far my favorite gun and I have a lot of high end air guns.
@Calbassin22 To hunt deer? And if you know where they’re sold for around $1000 please PM me.

I’m sure the .30 would put a deer down. They don’t exist for that price. I just think they are the best airgun for hunting in existence.
On what do you base that opinion? How many others have you tried? I swear, not trolling, just curious about your frame of reference on that gun for deer hunting.

AEA Challenger SL .357 "cheapo" ... I think it's under $400

If you bang it up a little you won't be too upset either. IMO the Challenger is better than the HP Max (more power, better reliability) unless you value a little extra portability. A regular wood stock Challenger SL is a fairly light gun anyway though.

You could buy 5 or 7 of these for a price of an Edgun and it's got 3x the power. Not that I don't wish I had an Edgun anyway :giggle:

Reactions: SHOMER
AEA Challenger SL .357 "cheapo" ... I think it's under $400

If you bang it up a little you won't be too upset either. IMO the Challenger is better than the HP Max (more power, better reliability) unless you value a little extra portability. A regular wood stock Challenger SL is a fairly light gun anyway though.

You could buy 5 or 7 of these for a price of an Edgun and it's got 3x the power. Not that I don't wish I had an Edgun anyway :giggle:
i have one of these with a power tune, 266fpe and put 3 in 1 big hole @ 50yrds.
many hogs have fallen from it and about to be a few nannies down too......👨‍🌾

Veradium Air Taurus 357cal. 380fpe w 185g slug. Been dropping game with no issues. No runners.

IMG_20210203_105835.jpg
IMG_20211113_100109.jpg
IMG_20210317_164720.jpg

i have had and deer hunted with the texan .457 SS, the texan .457, the umarex hammer,
the fx impact .35, the pitbull bulldog, dragon claw, Uragan .30 and the aea challenger sl .357.
all have did a great job of getting it done.
this season i'm using my new Hatsan Piledriver .457. and so far its done very well.
Rick Rehm says it best......hatsan should have named it Tack-driver !!
i have taken 2 hogs with it last month from 70 yrds and 110 yrds.
and yesterday a Buck from 30yrds.
the only guns i have mentioned earlier that i still own is the Uragan .30
and the aea sl .357.
i really like the accuracy and power the piledriver has.
time will tell
I would like to know at what distance was the deer you took with the Uragan .30 and where did you hit it?

Thanks.

Reactions: N2 Shooter