Best .30 cal slugger for hunting to 200 yd.

Hey folks, I’m considering a new pcp and weighing my options. I’d like to go for a .30 cal with sufficient power and accuracy to shoot slugs and take rabbits or possibly groundhogs from close range up to 200 yd. Dependability and durability is important to me. I dont want something that has a poi shift every time I bump it. I also dont want something thats so oversized that its hard to carry in the woods.
I’m interested in hearing suggestions and opinions. Especially if you own the gun you’re recommending and do this type of shooting with it. Tell me what your shooting and what speeds and accuracy you get with it.
It’s an awful lot of money to plunk down. If I get something it better be good.
Thanks in advance. Have fun shooting!

For what you described and your style of hunting a Texan .257 would fit the bill.
20211204_094216.jpg
20211206_100513.jpg

Thanks guys for the input. My problem is I can’t stand the looks of the airforce guns. But perhaps I need to adjust my tastes? That kind of accuracy is impressive. With the aftermarket stock maybe doable. Where do I find those stocks?

Take peak at the down range energy @ 200 yds. Your groundhog would be toast. Over 100 fpe.
Screenshot_20221126-183558_Strelok Pro.jpg
Screenshot_20221126-183422_Strelok Pro.jpg
Screenshot_20221126-183440_Strelok Pro.jpg

Reactions: airprsr
Don't go Airforce if that's not your thing. They have there problems too. Depending on budget? Low AEA challenger pro. There is a 30 on classified here for $650 or umarex gauntlet 30 $500.00 if budget higher better options😀
I probably won’t go that way. The biggest reason for me is the low shot count. This would mean I would have to carry a source of air with me in the field, and I dont want to have to do that. If a gun gets at least 30 or 40 shots per fill then in most cases with my style of hunting I wouldn’t have to do that.
I’m curious about the AEA Challenger pro. Does any body have a .30 caliber one that is capable of sufficient accuracy and power to do what I need?

Thanks guys for the input. My problem is I can’t stand the looks of the airforce guns. But perhaps I need to adjust my tastes? That kind of accuracy is impressive. With the aftermarket stock maybe doable. Where do I find those stocks?
Take a look at an FX or Taipan just for kicks...options abound.

Patrick

Reactions: tibor
For what you described and your style of hunting a Texan .257 would fit the bill. View attachment 308685View attachment 308688

Love your AF Texan set up. Love the SWFA! Question, what picattiny mount is that? I looked at the AF dovetail to Pic mount and was shocked they want close to $50 for one. My Talon needs two of them which is close to $100!

BTW what is that rubber piece on the barrel before the moderator? I don't have anything like that on my 24" Talon barrel?

Love your AF Texan set up. Love the SWFA! Question, what picattiny mount is that? I looked at the AF dovetail to Pic mount and was shocked they want close to $50 for one. My Talon needs two of them which is close to $100!

BTW what is that rubber piece on the barrel before the moderator? I don't have anything like that on my 24" Talon barrel?
The rubber piece is a limbsaver. It help with barrel harmonics. Pain in the ass to adjust but when adjusted it work. The rail is just a picatinny adapter. Hope this help
Screenshot_20221202-054023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Senor Ramon

Picatinny adapter aviable at Amazon.. 260mm dovetail to Picatinny adapter.. they used to be sold at eBay..but the last one I purchased was in Amazon..

Reactions: Senor Ramon
Airprsr, everyone has their preferences and I'm partial to the AAA offerings, but have other slug shooters as well. I have a Slayer 357 and an Evol 30. Both are well engineered and assembled and tuned by a true craftsman. Both of mine are not first versions, but not the latest either. Rock solid guns with no worries about accuracy going out of whack if you look at it wrong. I can not say with certainty that the current Evol will be a 200 yard slug slinger, but I have read more than once that a new slug version is coming out. (Which will sell out fast). The current Evol configuration likes small and light slugs, because the Evol was engineered as a top shelf pellet rifle, unlike the Slayer (which is a true long range slug shooter). As for buying a new Slayer, aside from being able to order one directly on the AAA website, I recently read that AAA is going to start selling those again through Airguns of Arizona and with new improvements in the already great platform.

235 yards with the Slayer. Not quite MOA with this ammo, but close. A few fliers also because of me and not paying attention to the wind:

IMG_20221123_121917163~2.jpg