• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best .25cal 0r .30cal for the money?

Perhaps this thread would benefit from some further clarity around what "best gun for the money" means in this context.

For me, it makes me think about excellent rifles where you get more than you pay for but not necessarily the cheapest no frills one available. Unless there is a budget limit of $650 or something like that, the Sumatra, Marauder or any Airforce or Hatsan gun does not belong on any list of best air rifles.

To some extent it will depend on how you define "best" but to me, the best air rifles are the most accurate, consistent, high shot count, efficient, regulated, premium barrel, well machined, quality fit and finish, light if a hunter / pinker or heavy if a BR rifle, nice stock (rigid and chunky if synthetic or nice figured walnut if wood), repeating action with high capacity mags, an effective LDC or shroud so they can actually be used where you can't use firearms, premium barrel like LW, ST, CZ, TJ or BSA etc.

I would expect most if not all of this stuff to be there out of the box on any air rifle that belongs on a "best" list. If you have to send it away to a tuner or invest significant funds in upgrading a bunch of components then you aren't talking about the same gun anymore.

Great air rifles like the Cricket, Wildcat or Mutant are all or most of those things without spending another dime. A 25 Cricket or Wildcat isn't just accurate for a 5 or 10 shot group. You get 60 consistent, powerful and accurate shots from the factory from a single fill. They are in a different league to the other guns mentioned here.

I started out with rifles like the Marauder, AT44 and Sumatra. They are good beginner guns. I still enjoy using my Career 707 occasionally but they certainly aren't the best anything except entry level guns. 

A person could buy a Marauder for $500 and make it perform almost like a premium rifle by making the following investments:

- $315 for the bottle upgrade
- $85 for the SSG
- $319 for the aluminum chassis / bottle stock (the factory Marauder stock is appalling)
- $210 for the Marmot Militia barrel upgrade
-$100 for a Huma regulator (assuming you for it yourself)

Plus, if I have bought all that stuff, I would want to send it to a tuner to get it all running right which is another $200 min by the time you have included insured shipping both ways. Now you're close to $1,700 into it but, it will be impossible to sell it for anything close to that unless you get very lucky. Personally, I can think of better ways to spend $1700 on air guns but that's me. 

If a person doesn't have the funds to treat themselves to a nice PCP then you live with what you can afford but my experience has been that it is best to buy the best one you can afford straight away and you will spend a lot more in the long run trying to slowly turn that Crysler into a Ferrari. 

If the baseline for comparison is a BSA R-10 MK2 then we need to up our game with the recommendations IMO. That is BSA's top of the line regulated bottle gun. A Marauder, condor or Sumatra would feel disappointing as a chaser to that rifle. 

zebraIf the baseline for comparison is a BSA R-10 MK2 then we need to up our game with the recommendations IMO. That is BSA's top of the line regulated bottle gun. A Marauder, condor or Sumatra would feel disappointing as a chaser to that rifle. 

This is true going from my Mrods and Discos to my BSA R10 MK2 no way would I ever want an Mrod after. The $1000 mark is hard to come up with the "best" ones. If he upped the budget to $1500 then most are in the range and it's easy to choose.

"dodge3500"What all zebra holds true but for me the best ends up being what I enjoy the most regardless of money spent.
I loved my edgun and cricket but I far more enjoy my gladius than either of those and my .30 carnivore is a beast.
The big 3
Accuracy
Air efficient
Quality
Yup that costs more.:)
Taste is a personal thing. I have never really enjoyed a Hatsan gun because they feel so heavy and they rattle. I particularly dislike the automatic safety that you can't disable and plastic stocks that flex in your hand. I think they were good for the price when I bought it but there are new and better low cost options released this year IMO. 

I still have an AT44 QE which I put in a carbon fiber stock to reduce the weight and prevent some of the poi shift caused by the stock. I might make it a project gun some day but it would need a lot of time, effort and cash to bring it anywhere close to my Cricket or Mutant. 

zebra
"dodge3500"What all zebra holds true but for me the best ends up being what I enjoy the most regardless of money spent.
I loved my edgun and cricket but I far more enjoy my gladius than either of those and my .30 carnivore is a beast.
The big 3
Accuracy
Air efficient
Quality
Yup that costs more.:)
Taste is a personal thing. I have never really enjoyed a Hatsan gun because they feel so heavy and they rattle. I particularly dislike the automatic safety that you can't disable and plastic stocks that flex in your hand. I think they were good for the price when I bought it but there are new and better low cost options released this year IMO. 

I still have an AT44 QE which I put in a carbon fiber stock to reduce the weight and prevent some of the poi shift caused by the stock. I might make it a project gun some day but it would need a lot of time, effort and cash to bring it anywhere close to my Cricket or Mutant.

You mentioned rattle and flexing Zebra as of right now I haven't noticed those things but heavy, lol yes they are!:)
I'm just a plinker anyways and I'll probably never notice it if they do that some.:)
I'll blame 26 years of running heavy equipment.i tend to hear a ringing in my ears and hands shake a tad after coffee.:)

i have a hatsan bull boss trigger is very good and with the jsb 33 grain mkll it will shoo ta 5 shot group in a quarter at 60 yards outside not indoors i get 24 shots on a fill and it is very quiet except for the ping in the air chamber at 20 to 30 yards its basically a one holer i believe the at 44 or the bull boss QE would be a excellent choice for you but my opinion is only my opinion and what makes you happyis what matters i personally think all the pcps especially the higher end guns like fx and air arms and the others are way over priced i would be willing to bet a fx impact probably doesnt cost fx more than 400.00 to manufacture but thats my opinion