Best .257 LSS Texan Ammo For Stock Texan ?

Do we have any agreement on what we should be shooting out of a stock texan .257 to start out with ?
I see some griffin .257 at 72 grains has 1 review of excellent... Any other ammo suggestions that is right off the shelf instead of pouring my own ?

If you can answer with detailed info like speed, power settings, stock rifle ect just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples starting out with a new texan ...

Thanks again
Jaydog

NSA ammo has swaged .257 ammo 75 grains and 60 grains...I think most of the forum members using .257 Texans cast there own slugs.. The Lyman 70 grain 4-20 mold is real popular in many variations.. Also.the Arsenal molds .257 85 grain spitzer...
I would try the NSA....I cast but swaged supposed to be better... There was just a member on the classified forums trying to sell some.cast .257 85 grain spitzer... Hope this helps a lil...

Jaydog,
I know you have read my many post about my stock .257 LSS. Griffin slugs, 3000 psi tethered, about 990 fps, Maddog stock. I think the power setting is maxed out. I clean my barrel after every 100 rounds. I also lube my slugs and barrel with Silicone Shock Fluid 10w made by Factory Team.

Rod in San Francisco
slugs.jpeg

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I powder coat and then size them.
curious how much is the sizer ? The mold is not too bad or expensive, I was thinking about a melting pot pan that you can fill up with led and use the jackpot arm to pour the hot lead into the mold. Not sure what the powder does to the slugs ect ? How much would a setup cost me to get things going to pour my own and shoot acutuatly ?

NOE had a pretty cool sizing die set up that uses bushing in the die body. You need a reloading press to put the sizing die in. It does not need to a an expensive press. I actually bought an older used press for my sizing setup.

The powder coating coats the bullet so it does not lead up the barrel. Look up the shake and bake method for powder coating. Then a low cost toaster oven for baking in. Elvis Ammo YouTube channel is a wealth of info.

Having the quality control casting yourself makes a big difference... Powder coating helps reduce leading... Castboolits.com has all the info you could ever need. I also learned and highly recommend Elvis ammo YouTube channel on casting ,lead recovery, and bulk shake and bake powder coating video s... It cost me $1.00 a pound for quality powder coated cast ammo. Buy your mold over size and then size down. Slug your barrel ... Arsenal or NOE molds.are both really.good. I bulk powder coat 25 lb patches for my .510... Pretty easy...

Hey, can anybody give a rough estimate for the BC of these slugs ? NOE cast molds, any nielson .257 or griffen .257 slugs. Having a hard time getting expectations on what a solid bc is is from this rifle ?
Not those, but I have some BC data for the Arsenal slugs. If shooting in the 1000fps range, the RA4 drag model works best.

For the Arsenal 257420 BT, I use a straight RA4 0.150 BC. That was my main projectile for my .257 build.

When using the G1 BC, I was using a multi BC starting at about 0.180 (1020fps) and ending about 0.150 as it dropped into the 800fps range.

The Arsenal 257388 gave a G1 0.210 BC at the upper end but never matched the accuracy of the 257420 BT.

Do we have any agreement on what we should be shooting out of a stock texan .257 to start out with ?
I see some griffin .257 at 72 grains has 1 review of excellent... Any other ammo suggestions that is right off the shelf instead of pouring my own ?

If you can answer with detailed info like speed, power settings, stock rifle ect just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples starting out with a new texan ...

Thanks again
Jaydog
I Have a Texan 257 and until this it is stock, after the weekend ill finish a power upgrade but for stock,, i would stay with NSA 72gr and stay away from the griffins,, there very dirty.Nick is very good and has great quality control. Your going to love your 257!!!

IMG_20230522_184708461.jpg

I Have a Texan 257 and until this it is stock, after the weekend ill finish a power upgrade but for stock,, i would stay with NSA 72gr and stay away from the griffins,, there very dirty.Nick is very good and has great quality control. Your going to love your 257!!!

View attachment 358583
what kind of group are you getting out of nicks 72 grain slugs ? Distance ? Groupings and shooting speed ?
Thanks... Also Griffin have been some very good slugs are the clogging up the .257sssss ?

what kind of group are you getting out of nicks 72 grain slugs ? Distance ? Groupings and shooting speed ?
Thanks... Also Griffin have been some very good slugs are the clogging up the .257sssss ?
I have the Texan 257, I haven't shot any of NSA stuff out of the Texan yet, I have some 75gr but, have shot NSA slugs out of my AEA big bore 357 standard and a modified 25 cal Avenger and both shot very well.NSA i would have to say one of the very best! The griffins, just wash them and see what comes off them. When you look at NSA and griffins you will see the difference. If you do wash the griffins. lightly lube them in Ballistol, spray a dusting on a clean rag and put like 20 slugs on it, pickup both ends of the rag and lightly woosh them around until lightly coated, Most of the slugs you buy now are already lubed like NSA

Last edited:
My order of 800 slugs from Griffin arrived today.
No other weight or brand of slugs allowed me to consistently split playing cards at 200 yards with my Texan .257 LSS
Note: Griffin is now shipping their slugs in a metal tin instead of a plastic bag.
slugs 2.jpeg
may 15 range day (1).jpeg
slug 3.jpeg

Last edited:
No other weight or brand of slugs allowed me to consistently split playing cards at 200 yards with my Texan .257 LSS
Note: Griffin is now shipping their slugs in a metal tin instead of a plastic bag.
View attachment 358851View attachment 358852View attachment 358854
I would love to see 200
View attachment 358851View attachment 358852View attachment 358854
Are you sure about 200 yards and not feet,lol . I think shooter 1721 would have his work cut out to pull that off 😂.