• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best .22 break barrel?

I have an fwb 124 that I use for fun, plinking and targets. Also have a .177 marauder. I want a .22 and I want a break barrel. I want .22 mainly for possibly killing pests, maybe up to a raccoon size. Break barrel because of the ease of decocking. I’d be shooting at most 30 yards. Given all these parameters, what do you think the most cost effective option would be? I guess I’d consider a fixed barrel if it was the best choice..

I’ll narrow your choices down for you. Diana 460 Magnum. Weihrauch HW90. Diana 56 (and 52 if you can find one), or the Sig Sauer ASP20. I don’t agree with the HW95L...only because it’s putting out 17 F.P.E. and that drops to about 15 at 30 yards. You’re looking at a medium sized game here, so you’ll need at least 20 F.P.E. muzzle energy.

The Diana 56 & 52 are not break barrel rifles.

Good point!

For the $, my vote is for the Diana M34, I'm partial to the TO5 Panther version -

sitein1710008.1605009532.JPG

While Hatsan has been mentioned, not the ones I did it with and the first 2 rifles I bought getting back into air gunning 5 1/2 years ago.

My first was a Hatsan Model 95 Vortex .25 bought just because my father had a daylight racoon problem. The Model 95, an H&N Crow Magnum and a touch over a 20 yard head shot took care of the first one.

2nd one I bought was a Hatsan Edge Vortex .25 and 3 weeks or so later, did the same thing. Head shot with a Crow Magnum a little over 20 yards. 

While I've since bought quite a few others, those 2 rifles have taken more than their share of unwanted pests, including those 2 racoons out to the 30ish yards I have to shoot in.

Are they the best?? There are plenty of higher powered break barrels out there and opinions will always vary on which one is best, no questions about it. For me, it's not a matter of which is best, it's a matter of which one will get the job done I'm trying to accomplish :)

I'm an HW/Beeman and UK BSA/Webley guy normally. But I picked up a Hatsan 87QE gas ram in .25, it's a total gem. It currently shoots 16.5 grain lead free .25 cal pellets at 775 fps and is very accurate too. It was bundled with a cheap scope and is a death ray to large invasive iguanas out to 25-30 yards. I want to say I paid under $170 for it. I won't say it's the best .2X break barrel but it does what I need it to do for cheap.

Maybe an old favorite Webly Patriot in .22 , if you can find one wouldbe a good choice, I had one in .25 cal but never had a chance to hunt with it.

In fixed barre I would suggest a rws 48 in 22 , l had one very accurate also, mine had the TO5 trigger and was very nice.

l never put that 48 .22 gun tru chrony , but I did my Rws 48 in .25 and was doing 23 fpe bone stock and was very accurate to 40 yards.