Best 177 slug rifle ??? Your thoughts all welcome.

Looking for a very accurate dependable 177 slug rifle, I have my front runners just want some honest thoughts.

The Daystate Revere(which I have) in .177cal shoots slugs perfectly. From factory setting it does 18 ft/ibs with pellets and 14,5 ft/ibs accuratly with 20grain slugs. However one can turn up for the hammerspring and it will do 22 ft/ibs with 20grain slugs and not much more with pellets.
It love 22grain ZAN solids too at 20 ft/ibs.

Mine doesn`t like NSA slugs as they are too big in diameter. It loves ZAN slugs and H&N`s.

If it`s power you want the Daystate RW shoot slugs. Both Revere and the RW use Lothar Walter barrels. They apparently do well with slugs. From readings here on AN Daystates ART barrel rifling doesn`t do well with slugs.
71TEX2Dh.jpg
lwKtXvYh.jpg

Last edited:
The Daystate Revere(which I have) in .177cal shoots slugs perfectly. From factory setting it does 18 ft/ibs with pellets and 14,5 ft/ibs accuratly with 20grain slugs. However one can turn up for the hammerspring and it will do 22 ft/ibs with 20grain slugs and not much more with pellets.

Mine doesn`t like NSA slugs as they are too big in diameter. It loves ZAN slugs and H&N`s.

If it`s power you want the Daystate RW shoot slugs. Both Revere and the RW use Lothar Walter barrels. They apparently do well with slugs. From readings here on AN Daystates ART barrel rifling doesn`t do well with slugs.
71TEX2Dh.jpg
lwKtXvYh.jpg
Hmmm never imagined a Daystate would shoot slugs like that what are your FPS??

71TEX2Dh.jpg
lwKtXvYh.jpg
Great writeup and some nice results. I might have to get some zans to try when my revere arrives tomorrow.

My Panthera 600 shoots the Zan slugs extremely well. I typically shoot the 16grain at 980fps and 120bar reg pressure because the shot cycle is so quiet and sedate (and 34fpe is plenty of juice for my needs). However, with the reg pushed to 140bar, it will shoot the 20grain at the same speed for 45fpe. In both cases, it’s just as accurate as my 22 shooting Altaros slugs and there’s never been any issue with POI shifting or slow shots after testing.

My Vulcan 3 with the CZ barrel dont shoot slugs as good as my maverick do, not by much though and i am inclined to blame the 170 MM shorter barrel.
Unlike RigbyMauser i can not at all get heavy slugs to fly out of any of my rifles, and for the maverick i have 2 barrels.

I tried the 20 grain Zan in my Vulcan 3 a few days ago, okay shooting them very slow, i could hear them whine and the POI was from just about where i aimed to somewhere 3-4 feet in a random direction but sides / high i could hear them go into hedge / trees, and if it was low they hit the ground.

IF ! i get the Epic airguns TWO, i have talked to them as it launch with a CZ barrel, but they said they would give me a deal on the LW poly barrel that is to come ( both barrels unchoked )

Also i dunno where rigbymauser get those .177 / 22 grain Zan slugs, i have never seen them for sale anywhere.
I am running out of 20 grain and not buying new ones, at least not for the current rifles CUZ there i have given up.

196 yds is no joke, but the Red Wolf is very expensive if memory serves?
So what if its expensive? That wasnt part of the question.

If its fun, enjoyable and reliable along with being accurate then go for it. Ive got my eye on two of them currently, either the safari or the midnight blue stock. A friend shoots a redwolf for HFT and loves it. I'll be shooting it soon. Ive got a feeling I will be loving it too.

At the last HFT match at COA in columbus, there were all levels of rifles being shot. Some red wolfs, some alphas, on down to avengers and someone with a new Avenge X. The person with the X shot a 44/60. The main thing is that all had fun and enjoyed the time at the field.

In fact my friend with the redwolf let me use his S510 that was his backup. He just enjoyed the RW far more. He also got an avenge X and has been enjoying it so far too but with a different purpose. So hes not one that is stuck only on higher end rifles or certain manufacturers like some are. He goes with performance, handling feel and what he finds enjoyable.

Last edited:
So what if its expensive? That wasnt part of the question.

If its fun, enjoyable and reliable along with being accurate then go for it. Ive got my eye on two of them currently, either the safari or the midnight blue stock. A friend shoots a redwolf for HFT and loves it. I'll be shooting it soon. Ive got a feeling I will be loving it too.

At the last HFT match at COA in columbus, there were all levels of rifles being shot. Some red wolfs, some alphas, on down to avengers and someone with a new Avenge X. The person with the X shot a 44/60. The main thing is that all had fun and enjoyed the time at the field.

In fact my friend with the redwolf let me use his S510 that was his backup. He just enjoyed the RW far more. He also got an avenge X and has been enjoying it so far too but with a different purpose. So hes not one that is stuck only on higher end rifles or certain manufacturers like some are. He goes with performance, handling feel and what he finds enjoyable.
True enough, my first serious PCP was a Daystate that's what convinced me to get into airguns. That 200yd group was truly impressive...

Last edited:
7/16 Crosman barrels love slugs. For those who think spending 2-5k on an airgun should qualify you for a mental hospital
Guess I should be in a mental hospital lol, to me it's all about how much use and enjoyment I get from the gun. I've owned all kinds of airguns so far my hands down favorite are my FXs.

Guess I should be in a mental hospital lol, to me it's all about how much use and enjoyment I get from the gun. I've owned all kinds of airguns so far my hands down favorite are my FXs.
Well said. Isnt having fun ultimately what its about unless ones only use is pesting or hunting? If its not fun why bother.

No I dont need to spend 2k on a rifle. However if I get a noticeably higher quality, fitment, accuracy and use then yes I will spend money on a hobby I enjoy.

@Midneight with that mentality, guess you are still driving a 1970's datsun right?

• Love
Reactions: MunkKiller
I have had 2 Evanix rainstorms in .177both of them hammerred slugs. MOA at 100yds, trigger was poop, but with a bunch of work it was sweet on one of them. Lol. Not a highend rifle and not a tuner with a bunch of adjustment, just worked. 13g jsb kos at 1050-1070. 21g piledrivers at 880.