Best 10 meter/Field Target gun for an old man starting out

All I did with my Crosman Challenger is added a wider .150 transfer port. I lengthened the hammer throw fully...striker flush to the hammer, hammer spring at it's factory setting, and that is all. My Challenger now shoots a 45 shot string with a 842 fps average @ nearly 17fpe with 10.54gr. Crosman Premiers. Dime size groups @ 50 yds. You need less power for field target?; I simply dial out the hammer striker 6 full counter-clockwise turns, and I am @ 690fps for about 11.7fpe. This tune will have you prepared to compete in both the low power and higher power field target classes. You need to get the fpe even lower for 10 meter?; from this tune, I dial back the hammer spring adjuster 5 full turns, go down to a lighter pellet like the 7.3gr Crosman Premiers...and I am @ 610fps at just about 6fpe.

WOW! Thank you for that bit of info. :) Sounds like maybe just getting the Challenger and enjoying 10m for now then doing the mod later to bump it up may be what I'm after. I would love to get one of the T200's but the LOP is a major concern unless I went with the 2pc stocked Champion's Choice model. Decisions ... Decisions ...

All I did with my Crosman Challenger is added a wider .150 transfer port. I lengthened the hammer throw fully...striker flush to the hammer, hammer spring at it's factory setting, and that is all. My Challenger now shoots a 45 shot string with a 842 fps average @ nearly 17fpe with 10.54gr. Crosman Premiers. Dime size groups @ 50 yds. You need less power for field target?; I simply dial out the hammer striker 6 full counter-clockwise turns, and I am @ 690fps for about 11.7fpe. This tune will have you prepared to compete in both the low power and higher power field target classes. You need to get the fpe even lower for 10 meter?; from this tune, I dial back the hammer spring adjuster 5 full turns, go down to a lighter pellet like the 7.3gr Crosman Premiers...and I am @ 610fps at just about 6fpe.

WOW, didn’t know you can crank that thing that high! BTW which TP is the .150? You got me curious now. From your numbers the challenger is one insanely good gun for the money.

I got the .150 tp from Magnum AirPower. The Challenger will physically take up to a .160 transfer port without any drilling.; but I think the .150 is just right without overkill.

Oh yea...the ONLY thing the Challenger is lacking from being a true utility gun, is a multi shot breech. The Lothar Walther barrel is insanely accurate. Have any of you seen the new 2021 Crosman Challenger? 

I got the .150 tp from Magnum AirPower. The Challenger will physically take up to a .160 transfer port without any drilling.; but I think the .150 is just right without overkill.

Oh yea...the ONLY thing the Challenger is lacking from being a true utility gun, is a multi shot breech. The Lothar Walther barrel is insanely accurate. Have any of you seen the new 2021 Crosman Challenger?

I have my Challenger 2009 transfer port drilled out to 0.089 inches using a #43 drill bit. Replaced the hammer spring with a Discovery spring, the stroke is adjusted fully counterclockwise, set the gap under the knurled spring adjuster knob to 0.40 inches.

This setup gives me 780 fps with JSB extra 8.44g pellets for 11.4 foot pounds at the muzzle. It can easily be adjusted past 12 foot pounds by tightening the spring a little more, but I am afraid of putting so much additional stress on the tiny pin used to cock the hammer.