Benji Marauder

I think Biohazardman's info on the groove differences is still valid as I have seen that same info posted on the forums. I have a newer Gen 2 Mrod .22 with the standard Crosman barrel that has 10 grooves. Below is a pic of my barrel showing the ten grooves, it is a little fuzzy but if you look close and have a reasonable imagination you can probably see the ten grooves! I saw a similar photo about a year ago over on Gateway of a newer LW Mrod barrel that showed 12 grooves so that is why I believe this 10 vs 12 info is still probably valid.

barrel grooves - Copy.1615144218.JPG

Thanks to everyone for the info. I suppose that one day I will count the barrel rotations. LOL. Strange to me that their premium version of this air rifle doesn’t have a label, brand or tag on it. Oh well. It shoots really good. Been zapping some dimes at 30 yds. This thing shoots lasers. Seriously.

I do agree with you that Crosman should mark the barrel somehow - perhaps it is somewhere on the barrel if you pull the shroud and inspect it. Anyway I think as long as your model # has the letter “L” in it, and your breech has the picatinny scope mount you should rest assured you got the real deal. Sounds like a good shooting gun, I think they are great gun for the price, mine has been accurate and reliable.

If you do end up checking the grooves, just make sure your gun is unloaded and uncocked, unscrew the shroud and pull it off, open the bolt and stick a white piece of paper in the open breech, shine a light on the white paper to reflect the light down the barrel to the muzzle, then....take your cell phone and move the camera lens in front of your barrel and take some photos until you get a good clear picture that will allow you to count the grooves. Phew!

Thanks to everyone for the info. I suppose that one day I will count the barrel rotations. LOL. Strange to me that their premium version of this air rifle doesn’t have a label, brand or tag on it. Oh well. It shoots really good. Been zapping some dimes at 30 yds. This thing shoots lasers. Seriously.

I do not want to be disrespectful or anything but with my Mrod tuned to shoot from 1700 to 2300 psi at 820 to 840 fps with JSB 14.5 pellets mine will shoot one ragged hole at thirty yards with a crosman barrel.

I had an interesting phone call with Crossman today. Here is our conversation:

Me: I purchased this gun.. blah blah blah.. upgrade... blah blah blah... how do I verify?

C: If you purchased from one of our online dealers, such as PyramidAir, etc etc.. You can't. They are buying the standard gun, upgrading the barrel and then reselling it.

Me: That makes sense, I don't necessarily agree with it, but I see what you're saying.

C: According to this information on my computer, the Crossman barrel has 12 twists per inch and the LW barrel has 19.5 twists per inch.

Me: How do I get inside the barrel to measure and count?

C: Uhhhhhh That's all the information I have. 

I guess I will go back to this first post and do it that way. 

Surprised that PA installs the barrels in standard Mrods.

I just checked a bore scope picture of my SAMs 22 barrel and it does have 10 lands. A 22 LW barrel, machined from a 14mm blank, has 12 lands.

FWIW: The LW barrels in the 1701P. 1720T, and Challenger are not marked, but you can't buy non-LW models. The GM 25 barrels weren't either, but all are crosman barrels now.

What was the identifier in the serial number? Typically, the middle three digits are "120" which is for a 'standard" Mrod. "121" is on my SAM.