• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Titan .22 (under 100$) UPDATED

So here's what happened. Several years ago I picked up a cheap Beeman break barrel for 65$ at Walmart. Several pcps later and I ended up keeping only one pcp my xisico sentry, crazy right? But it's dead nuts...anyways... My break barrel was God awful to shoot, but accurate as hell. Recently my "backpacker Airmax pistol" developed a leak and I sold it on here... I used that money to get me another break barrel and on a chance chose the Benjamin Titan in .22. 

Well so far (about 200 pellets in) I love it! O can't believe it was 99$!!!!! I so badly wanted to bite my tongue and drop the change for a HW or something but I'm glad I didn't. That being said I'm highly aware the HW and such are leagues above but wow what an impressive rifle at this range in today's world. My sentry is always perfect when it comes to accuracy however it needs pumped to a certain pressure and that's every 25 shots or less. The break barrel is such an awesome way to go carefree out into the woods or just into the yard and plink limitless or until you get tired of cocking. I truly love the pistol grip stocks and this gun seems that no matter how I hold it as long as I don't grip the front (we all know that) it shoots better than I can. Fantastic rifle, loves Crosman domed and gamo red fires. I'm a JSB snob but this budget rifle with budget ammo is mind blowing to me. It's new but it's currently shooting 15g gamos at 706 coming to about 17ftlbs and not one bit hold sensitive ?! That's a win! IDK how guns like this slip through the popularity cracks but I'm so impressed I made a post about it lol. I believe you get what you pay for and it won't last forever but I also believe you can get a few diamonds in the ruff and this fits the bill. 

Scope:utg bugbuster (never had a single issue with any utg scope and their on all my rifles including my 308 and more.) 

1563409729_8804717335d2fbd4152ad22.55527967_15634096918517203939588216924868.jpg

Point1Seven I share your enthusiasm for the Titans. I had both 177 and 22 cal until recently as I traded my 177 for a new Hw30. The 177 was very severe on scopes. You guys are pretty lucky over there as in Australia these rifles are priced around the $450.00 mark. I put a Gamo ram in the 22 cal which made it easier to cock and increased its accuracy and made it less noisy.. If you have the time I’ve included two videos on shooting both of them. The second i was useing the 22 in the Golf ball challenge. A heap of fun. As JimNM said enjoy every minute of it.

Gary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMNhTf29aE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfGpQcBNefE

Hey thanks for sharing! And I've shot alot of air rifles but I just can't get over the premium feeling I get from such a cheap rifle. Well cheap here I guess lol. Cool videos too. Once it's all broken in I'll do some Chrono results and stuff but until then this thing loves gamo red fires surprisingly so that's good for me and bad for the sparrows! 

I have one of the original Trails in .22.

I was just about to give up on getting any accuracy out of it after years and thousands of pellets.

I don't mean close range hunting accuracy. It just would not group well. One day i bought a tin of the Ruger/Umarex Superpoint type pellets. At 15.8, they shoot pretty good.

Then I was given access to a place I have still not been to. No lead allowed. I ordered a tin of the Barracuda Green. Earlier in the week I put seven of them within half an inch at 20 yards. I stopped because i need to shim the scope I think. I am very near the end of the up adjustment.

I have tried letting it rest on the bags. i have tried my hand. i have tried just about everything. Smoothed the lead the barrel so it doesn't mangle pellets at loading. Trigger, Lord alone knows how many types of pellets. I have even tried to find the correct balance point. I made an antler pellet seating tool and tested all of the pellets with and without seating.

Then i put a sling on it and tried shooting it holding on to the sling in the front and letting the rifle sit on top of my fist closed around the strap. Better. Hook strap over my elbow and pull the strap tight with my hand still holding the strap. Better. Sitting on top of the padded strap.wrong way.

Grab hold of it and shoot it like you are shooting something that is going to kick. Much better. The group I mentioned was shot off the top of a stump at 20 yards, and the pellets holed a 3/4 inch pine board on the third shot with the Greens, since they hit essentially in the same spot. The others went through and hit the barrel behind, ringing it clearly.

My one deviation on that is, the thumbhole on mine doesn't fit my hands at all, so I still pull it into my shoulder, but I leave my thumb stick straight up along the side of the stock. I throw everything off when I use the thumbhole.

Using the scope that came with it, and my eyes, that is as good as you are going to get. I went back through four different pellets it had shot okay and checked. All of them shoot better if you grab it and pull it back into your shoulder.

Mine is hitting dead on at 25 right now with the scope maxed. I may put a better scope on it when I take it off, but mine seems to like being held, not cradled. If it was 2 pounds lighter, I would still not be looking.

@ahnlaashock At least you have it smoothed out now. I almost gave up on my old break barrel because nothing worked until I realized it was my scope mounts and scope that were to blame. I now use UTG on everything and never have an issue. I don't like their mounts but they do hold up. I'm finding alot of people who have these guns in both calibers are part of the same "holy crap club I am. I'm posting another post of my Chrono info from today. It's interesting. 

CHRONO RESULTS

(PRE BREAK IN, UNDER 500 SHOTS)

• Benjamin Titan
    Gamo Red Fire .22 caliber 15.4g
    AVG= 722
    ES= 10
    SD= 3
    FPE= 17.83

Now this was only recorded over about 15 shots but still. That's damn good. I'm assuming break-in in somewhere around 500 but I haven't cleaned the barrel or anything yet... When I start to lose accuracy or diesel excessively I will but I think I just got a good one. If I'm getting basically 18ftlbs at the muzzle with this much consistency then I'll happy! Anyone else get great results with theirs ? I mean I'd consider these good one any rifle even an HW but maybe I'm not picky enough lol. 

That is about the power level of the original Trail. One of the reasons i picked it, was the weaver rail on top that pretty much ends the springer scope wars. 

If i remember correctly. with 14.3's, mine shoots in the 700's I was disappointed till I hunted with it a few times.

The Greens go 12.94 and at twenty yards, you can already see the penetration difference between them and any of the lead pellets. Half inch plywood will stop them at 20 yards until a second or third hits nearby. Nothing that is going to cause trouble at any hunting range I will be shooting at, but they lose the energy quicker. About thirty yards is my limit anymore when shooting at squirrel heads with a break barrel.

Right now, off the stump I shoot from, holding the gun and leaning on the pad, at twenty yards i am able to keep most pellets in the 1 inch close range sighter target. By most pellets, i mean Pirahnas, Greens, X-Match, Gamo Match, Gsmo Hunters, and the Superpoints in the last few days. Using the couple of pellets it likes a little better, it will put five in half an inch if I do my part.

I need better glass to get serious about anything more than that, since I am using the CenterPoint scope that came with it way back when, and it doesn't help my vision any. 

I just came in from a final sight in before a hunt tomorrow or the day after. Superpoints stay inside the 25 mm targets and when they don't, I can call them. That is arm through the sling and both hands firmly holding the gun, the way it will be out in the woods using a tree or my knee as a rest.

It has me wondering what would happen with an over under tang style buttplate where the butt hits the shoulder the same each time.

Still waiting for someone to build a Gamo 220 with a rail and gas ram in 22 and let us worry about the recoil in the light gun. Same power level as the trail would be fine for small game at close range. The older i get, the more I like light air rifles!

Looking for recommendations for a light close range scope for use in shady woods that gathers lots of light, and doesn't cost more than the gun is worth!

Clean the barrel every time you change pellets if you are shooting for groups. If you know it is clean, clean it again anyway. Use a good solvent and clean it well. It makes a huge difference on mine.

The rifle is pretty quiet. With the trigger replaced, it has a nice trigger. The lockup is good. The safety solid. Performance is what used to be called "Magnum", but has been passed by today with the PCP's in the market and the new "magnums" . Mine has an easy 12 to 15 k pellets through it, and it has not been babied. It functions as well or better today than when it was new.

It is heavy, but the recoil doesn't eat scopes. It still has the original that came with it on top. Today, the same power level can be had for $100 or so, and from all reports, it has gotten better.

I have had an R-8 so mild mannered it said excuse me after you fired it. I shot an old 220 that would jar your teeth and throw your scope at you for a time. When I bought the Trail, I have not bought another airgun for myself since. We like to hammer them on accuracy, but then forget that to do better with even the better guns would cost multiples.

I am considering another gun now, and i am bouncing between a Flash, or the Gamo Magnum, If I buy the Gamo, I will trigger it, and then use it with the factory scope if possible, just like the trail, only 7 pounds with scope. 15 grain at 900 fps or close. 14.3's 950 ish. 7 pounds with supplied scope. I am not interested in the Swarm model, but it is even cheaper.

They have maintained the light format and I am told actually supply a usable hunting trigger today.

Different usage. If I was punching paper for score, neither is a gun i would consider. A 700 fps 177 is better than either for that. Something like the R-8. The one I have set up for the grands to shoot is a Beeman branded version of the same model many companies have made. It isn't fast and the trigger is too hard, but the young ones manage to shoot groups with it. Sometimes us old guys want everything and we want it tied up in a bow.

I am shopping again, but there is a Techstar, a 397, a 397GA, a 342, Two 1400's, a 220 and others in the closet. Each of them is a nice choice, given certain circumstances. None of them is the perfect hunter, for me. The Trail has more hours on it than most of them added together.

Because it suits me. Or did till I got too lazy to carry it.

That is an important thing. One of the pundits we all know talks about the Gamo Big Bores and raves about them. For him, those extra shots are what he wants. Well, they are why I did not buy one. I want one full power shot and a second reasonable followup. I have no interest at all in weak sauce in a new wrapper, even if it does go bang more times than that. I am a hunter. Those extra shots mean the difference between maybe wounding and a clean kill in my mind. Give me all you have for the first shot, since i don't plan to need a second.

It is important to remember that when discussing airguns. We are all different. If i was still a pup, i would have had to try one of the Torpedo 150's, but I am the other side of 60, and 10 pound guns without a scope are simply not reality today. The 220 has a broken spring and the original trigger from about 1985. I can buy better today for less than repairing it and upgrading the trigger. The 397's are nice. One has a peep on it. They are nice, but i can't use open sights, even a peep, anymore. Scratch that truckload of guns off the list.

It isn't as easy as simply adding up the parts.

I wanted to follow up with a recap on this rifle after break in and some odd but satisfing results..

My initial Chrono testing:

CHRONO RESULTS

(PRE BREAK IN, UNDER 500 SHOTS)

• Benjamin Titan
    Gamo Red Fire .22 caliber 15.4g
    AVG= 722
    ES= 10
    SD= 3
    FPE= 17.83

My new Chrono results almost 6mos later:

JSB 15.89 grain 5.52 mm head
Zero= 25 yards
Extreme spread taken over 15 shots

Avg 642
ES 12
Sd 3
Fpe 14.55

No idea why power fell off so much since brand new however I prefer to be as close to 12ftlbs as possible it makes the rifle easier to shoot. The red fires still did great but the QC for their pellets made me desire something better for this rifle. I chose the JSBs because my dad had a tin laying around he gave to me and they ended up working phenomenal! Under 3/4" groups at 25 yards is easy and that's all I need. Great gun and is actually lighter than my dad's Walther Terrus.