• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin prowler. 22 or Crosman F4 .177?

I bought the Prowler for my son-in-law in .22. Seems a decent gun for the price. Nitro Piston is my preference over steel spring and the Prowler's action doesn't disappoint. The gun does really beg the "Crosman Trigger Fix", but then so does the F4 which I also own. If you intend to hunt small game then the best choice is the Prowler. Cost of ammo is a wash, better power in .22, and better performance at 25-50 yards with heavier pellets. On the other hand, I wanted a gun that is accurate and can be shot all day without fatigue at 25 yards and less. I chose the F4 with the de-tuned Nitro Piston sold by Walmart. Actually ordered my F4 online; not sure you'll find the de-tuned version in store, but who knows? The full-power F4 (same action as the Crosman Fire, another break barrel I own) is a very good gun out to 50 yards as well but doesn't deliver the same knock-down power as the .22 Prowler. Any of these rifles can become reliable, trustworthy shooters with some time (and very little expense) put into improving the triggers and insuring all of the lubricating is done right.