• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin PRod smiths

instead of getting greedy i just put a larger tp in and dialed the hammer spring down a bit .. 14.3s at '700' fps just makes it better without sacrificing much of its original characteristics and, at least on mine, that setup balanced the tune better .. a longer range hard hitting 900+ gun is more effective in a heavier longer package anyway imo, like a cayden, you can ring somethins bell good with about 970fps even at 60+, but thats not really the prods forte' .....

Reactions: Camoflash
I have nothing against Wayne. But if you’ve known him as long as I have you will notice everything he has is gold. His numbers and results with sub par guns are always stellar. Not calling it bs but it’s the internet. If you look hard enough, you will find something that backs up what you’re thinking. His gun and string are more realistic than 900fps. Now you just have to hope JSAR or someone has a TSS kit available.
Great point thank you .

I would recommend what dizzums said. I just opened my aluminum TP up to the max I could get it and matched the valve exhaust port to it. Then see where you are. You will still have to mess with the throw on your hammer to see if you can benefit from it but the gun already has enough hammer spring to crack the valve at 3,000 psi so you don’t have to worry about that. You might wind up with a 2 magazine gun with a good enough increase in speed to get the job done.

I would recommend what dizzums said. I just opened my aluminum TP up to the max I could get it and matched the valve exhaust port to it. Then see where you are. You will still have to mess with the throw on your hammer to see if you can benefit from it but the gun already has enough hammer spring to crack the valve at 3,000 psi so you don’t have to worry about that. You might wind up with a 2 magazine gun with a good enough increase in speed to get the job done.
That might be exactly what I do thank you. This info right here is gold. I thought I’d for sure need a stiffer spring to be able to keep the valve open but it sounds like I should do the same and see if that scratches the itch. I’m all for modifying stock before buying anything aftermarket

Update:

So I drilled the TP and valve to .1405 (aka 9/64)

One thing I noticed is that the TP was blue and looked like an aftermarket Hill TP. It measured around .080 or a little less. Is this stock or was it put in by the PO?

I didn’t notice a huge jump in fps. 630 to 740 (CP 14.3gr) with the hammer spring tension at 7 1/4 turns from full ccw and the hammer throw at fully ccw. Shot about two mags before the curve dropped to 600s Would more hammer spring tension net more fps ?

Thank you all for the input

Update:

So I drilled the TP and valve to .1405 (aka 9/64)

One thing I noticed is that the TP was blue and looked like an aftermarket Hill TP. It measured around .080 or a little less. Is this stock or was it put in by the PO?

I didn’t notice a huge jump in fps. 630 to 740 (CP 14.3gr) with the hammer spring tension at 7 1/4 turns from full ccw and the hammer throw at fully ccw. Shot about two mags before the curve dropped to 600s Would more hammer spring tension net more fps ?

Thank you all for the input

I believe that is stock. I know the factory port is blue, but I'm not sure what the factory size is. I can measure when I get home.

I went through pretty much what you are trying to do. And in the long run I had to realize what the Prod is and what it was designed to do. Your limited by several factors. For starters the barrel is only 12 inches long, the air tube only contains 65cc of available air, both of these added together will drastically cut down on power and shot count. So then you have to decide what you want out of your Prod, high shot count with modest FPS or low shot count and increased power? Without adding a drop block and bottle setup your really only left with one choice, a sort of middle of the road setting with average power and average shot count. I adjusted on my Prod for several days until I ended up with the tune I could use. I changed out the transfer port for a larger one (.148 I think), and changed the hammer spring for a stiffer one. Seems like I remember the factory spring is .036 diameter wire and I put in a .042 diameter spring. Same outside diameter and length, just made from larger diameter wire. Lastly I did the "BSTALEY" mod with 113 O-Rings (google it). Then with a ton of chrony work while adjusting hammer spring and hammer throw gave me 24 usable shots (3 magazines) at 16 ft/lbs using 16gr predator poly-mags. I will say this, upping the power much past 12 ft/lbs will make the Prod noticeably louder. I installed an aftermarket LDC and this helps a lot. It does make the gun a bit longer but I really like the quietness.
Thx
Ray

Last edited:
I went through pretty much what you are trying to do. And in the long run I had to realize what the Prod is and what it was designed to do. Your limited by several factors. For starters the barrel is only 12 inches long, the air tube only contains 65cc of available air, both of these added together will drastically cut down on power and shot count. So then you have to decide what you want out of your Prod, high shot count with modest FPS or low shot count and increased power? Without adding a drop block and bottle setup your really only left with one choice, a sort of middle of the road setting with average power and average shot count. I adjusted on my Prod for several days until I ended up with the tune I could use. I changed out the transfer port for a larger one (.148 I think), and changed the hammer spring for a stiffer one. Seems like I remember the factory spring is .036 diameter wire and I put in a .042 diameter spring. Same outside diameter and length, just made from larger diameter wire. Lastly I did the "BSTALEY" mod with 113 O-Rings (google it). Then with a ton of chrony work while adjusting hammer spring and hammer throw gave me 24 usable shots (3 magazines) at 16 ft/lbs using 16gr predator poly-mags. I will say this, upping the power much past 12 ft/lbs will make the Prod noticeably louder. I installed an aftermarket LDC and this helps a lot. It does make the gun a bit longer but I really like the quietness.
Thx
Ray
Great information thank you. I own several other more expensive pcps but this is the only one I don’t mind laying down or being a little more rough with due to its cost. I was looking for a low shot high power pistol but I’m thinking the bottle is definitely the next step if I take this any further.

Thanks

I put a bottle on mine and had mrod 22 barrel which fit perfectly installed a nylon tube transfer port and a heavier hammer spring 14 gr pellets doing 730 with I think 1800 psi reg setting magnum airpower is place I got most of the parts for it and if you want a longer barrel I call crossman I just used the shorter shroud on the long barrel looks kinda funny but works good

Little update for anyone interested :

Drilled TP to .1405 with everything else stock.
Hammer throw at 1/8 turn tension at 7 1/4

2600 psi to 1200 psi I get 2 mags around 18FPE max -

(14.2 gr at 760fps max)

Am I going to benefit from a stiffer spring or is this about it ?

Thank you everyone for the help

Last edited:
I just picked up a used Prod. It’s shooting 14.66 FTT @760-770 for two mags. A little over 19 fpe. I don’t know what all has been done to it but I am not going to mess with it.
If i need more power I’ll use a bigger gun.
That sounds ideal actually ! If mine came stock shooting like that I’d do the same

Reactions: Struckat