• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Pioneer Airbow

The only problem with the AirBow is that regulatory agencies can't allow its use, because they don't have it defined yet. For instance, most states define a firearm along the lines of propelling one or more projectiles due to a combustible or explosive propellant. Long bows tend to be defined as a hand held device that uses limbs and a string that is drawn and held by hand or hand-held mechanical release to release an arrow. A crossbow is a device consisting of a traverse limbs and a string mounted to a stock for propelling arrows. A muzzleloading rife or shotgun is one that that has a permanent breech plug or removable breech plug that renders the device inoperable, is not capable of firing modern day ammunition, and is loaded exclusively from the muzzle. As you can see, none of these general definitions accurately define air powered devices, regardless of the projectile they are shooting.

Unlike big bore air riles that will have a small following for hunting (in the big picture of hunting) due to their distance limitations and cost, I think we'll see the exact opposite and have multiple copies of devices like the AirBow as they out perform a large number of longbows and crossbows. Additionally, the price point on a device like the AirBow is equal to or below moderate to high end longbows (by definition longbows include compound bows, recurve bows, and traditional longbows) and crossbows which will be a big selling point. It is easy to see that the AirBow is easier to use than a bow or crossbow for first time hunters, youths, and people with injuries. It doesn't demand the practice of traditional archery nor does it require the strength or special equipment for cocking like a crossbow does, both of which will increase demand. Another nice feature is that unlike ISO FPS ratings, the AirBow does not have the 30 inch draw, 70 pound, and/or 350 grain arrow criteria to deal with. Instead, you can get a slightly faster FPS if you use a broadhead under 100 grains or a slightly slower FPS by using one over 100 grains with a full air reservoir.

In short, this will mean regardless of a person's draw weight and draw length limit, they will still achieve a very high level of performance within the ethical distance parameters. This will create a demand that is going to force agencies to define air powered devices and if not allowed for hunting purposes, justify why they cannot be used.

In my view and being a bow and rifle hunter, let me put it this way. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and farts like a duck, then its a duck.

If it looks like and shoots like a rifle and has a scope and you point it like a rifle, then it's a rifle and should not be permitted in the world of bow hunting. Not saying that it's a bad weapon, it just isn't a bow, period not by any stretch or figment of the imagination.

Arrow Gun, like Pellet Gun, yes ok but not permitted into or to be part of the world of bow hunting, no way!

That was the argument against crossbows too. But who's to say a guy can't take his dad hunting when he can no longer draw a bow? Everything outdoorsmen enjoy about bowhunting is enhanced with the Pioneer and in nearly every respect, it's safer than any crossbow. If it gets someone out of the house, especially someone who wants to hunt but has physical limitations, then by golly let them use a tool that fits their needs.

The deer doesn't care. It's the same arrow you're shooting minus the nock.

In an earlier post I stated that I personally would not have an issue with a handicapped person using the Arrow Gun. But to call this new rifle an Airbow is ridiculous.

In Alberta where I am from, a cross bow can not be used during bow hunting season unless you have a special handicapped licence. This year in Alberta and because of the amount of people using bows now bow hunting was put on the draw system. So now even the bow hunting opportunities are becoming restricted and limited. Just my (a bow hunters) perspective.

I do think that it's an awesome gun and may have to pick one up for myself for Christmas next year :eek:)

Ohio is the home of the modern crossbow. Crossbows have been a part of regular archery season for as long as I can remember. I have no issues with crossbows as I used one when I was a kid and had to use one for a couple of seasons about 5 years ago due to a broken elbow that kept me from using my compound. I have decided to return to using a crossbow as I just don't have time to shoot my compound enough and old injuries are starting to make using a bow rather tough.

I love the idea and would pre order an airbow if it were legal for deer here in Ohio. Based on what the state says, the airbow will never be allowed as archery equipment. Whether or not that changes is up in the air, but I understand why it is a hard sell as archery equipment. I spend my time bow hunting, not because I feel a bow is the only way to kill a deer, but because our gun season is only 1 week. I can bow hunt from September till the end of January with a bow. This airbow would be great if allowed for our archery season. Right now airguns are not legal for deer. If they do become legal and the airbow is allowed but only for gun season then I have no interest. If it somehow becomes allowed for archery I will definitely buy one for most of the reasons Chip has stated. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be legal in Ohio for a very long time if ever.

"ajshoots"Ohio is the home of the modern crossbow. Crossbows have been a part of regular archery season for as long as I can remember. I have no issues with crossbows as I used one when I was a kid and had to use one for a couple of seasons about 5 years ago due to a broken elbow that kept me from using my compound. I have decided to return to using a crossbow as I just don't have time to shoot my compound enough and old injuries are starting to make using a bow rather tough.

I love the idea and would pre order an airbow if it were legal for deer here in Ohio. Based on what the state says, the airbow will never be allowed as archery equipment. Whether or not that changes is up in the air, but I understand why it is a hard sell as archery equipment. I spend my time bow hunting, not because I feel a bow is the only way to kill a deer, but because our gun season is only 1 week. I can bow hunt from September till the end of January with a bow. This airbow would be great if allowed for our archery season. Right now airguns are not legal for deer. If they do become legal and the airbow is allowed but only for gun season then I have no interest. If it somehow becomes allowed for archery I will definitely buy one for most of the reasons Chip has stated. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be legal in Ohio for a very long time if ever.
PA is not that far away. They're getting to the point where they might pay your travel expenses to come over and hunt deer. They'll give you a booklet full of tags and if you use them all up, they'll give you another. I'm just kidding, but seriously, it's getting bad in PA. When we were out visiting my parents this past summer in Pittsburgh my wife said she'd never seen so many deer. We drove through my old neighborhood and saw 27 deer in a 1/2 mile stretch of road in a housing plan 1 mile from the Pittsburgh Airport. She was dumbfounded by how many were just wandering around all over the place. No wonder PA has the highest number of vehicle/deer collisions in the country by a large margin. I think it was almost twice the number of #2, WV.

Well I though that instead of buying an Air Bow, that I would make my own Arrow Rifle and save the cash! What do you boyz think?

orcJEm8.jpg

Just pulling your leg Chip! hehe :eek:)