• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Maximus Tinkering

I did a bit of math, to space the bands so that the lengths of the span between the bands were odd order harmonics to each other (section from the breech to the first band, section from the first band to the second band, section from the last band to end of barrel). This discourages standing wave vibrations travelling down the barrel and disturbing the position of the end of the barrel when it is fired. I would love to place a force balance accelerometer on the middle of each span to confirm my calculations, it would be interesting to know if the assumptions in the math are true. 

I'll share this just in case anyone would like to use this on a Maximus. My Maximus is one of the first in .22. And I had Neil make me a LDC for it. I also have a 2300kt with a LW .177 barrel. The 2300 comes with a muzzle break on it. In the picture you can see that I have traded the muzzle break to the rifle and the LDC to the pistol. So the .177 LW barrel and the Maxi .22 barrel have the same OD. Funny thing is the break on the Maxi takes some of the crack out of the shot, but its still loud.

IQa2wTY.jpg

I've done adout every modification known to man to my maximus 22 cal. The only thing i didn't touch was the barrel because it was so accurate to begin with. I can tell you this i went to three barrel bands witch made no affect on accuracy it will drive nails. I've yet to crono the gun but i can tell it is shooting faster. Now it's not going to shoot 50 fpnds stock is 23 i hope to be getting around 27 hopefully! The tko moderator changes the sound from stock you don't think it's shooting very hard when it is. It's cold out and i can't wait until spring gets here so i can finish the gun. I think my next one will be a 25 cal mrod like some of ya's I'm kinda tired of building. I've got several airrifles and none of them can compare to the maximus in accuracy. I would sure like to know what they have done to this barrel but it Sure is working

My Maximus 22 has been doing great since I got it. All I "had" to do was fix an air leak at the fill port. I added a custom trigger from Magnum Air Power, which got rid of the creep and mushyness of the factory trigger. And I added a TKO muzzle brake, the 6.5" one.

Here's a video of some action. I went out last Sunday and got over 40 starlings from 15 to 25 yards.....I double kill even. I hope to have that video up in a few days.

Just saw this thread. Have a maximus "hunter" package .22 in the House. THE most accurate Crosman barrel I have seen except one off a CR101. Haven't done a thing to it not even the trigger which is a bit heavy but no creap/screak/... .
Had planed on putting that barrel on a Discovery as the Disco can be pushed to higher power levels but it just sit's around waiting for a neighbor or such to need a loaner.

Crosman needs to put these barrels on all model they fit!

John

Bob, nice video, I watched a couple of you other vids. STOP hand pumping that way! Your making my back hurt watching. Pull handle up, with your back straight push down only far enough to lock your elbows then DROP all your weight on it. You will find it much less work that way, honest.

Not sure what crosman does on their barrels, they certainly do like all the interchange they can get in parts, could be they are all the same run then cut to size & machined and maybe I just one the lottery but this .22 maximus does group better than any marauder or discovery "I" have seen and that is with the darn awful trigger. Doesnt seem like anyone wants to buy a used maximus so I may just give fitting it to the Gauntlet - now a .177- a try?

Other than the groups the thing I like about it is the weight, excellent all day carry rifle out in the woods.

John