Benjamin Maximus Tinkering

After swapping out the stock trigger for a Challenger trigger on both my .22 and .177, I have to say it has made a huge difference. My groups were good with both prior, but are much better now as both triggers are set in the ounces single stage. I have also been playing with multiple barrel bands on the .177.

My conclusion atleast for the .177 is that Crosman found the perfect spot for the factory band. No matter where I move the band or even adding another band, the gun shoots best with one band in the stock location. I did not add a second band to the .22 but I did move it around and had the same results as the .177.

It was also released that Crosman has a new barrel making process and the Maximus guns have the new barrels. I have yet to pull the barrels to inspect them, but a simple cleaning and both shoot better than I would have expected for a $200 pcp.

For the price, there isn't much to complain about other than they are loud unless you add an ldc

Challenger trigger is simply a gen1 marauder trigger. The gen2 trigger won't work on the disco/max. Part number is
1763A105

The Challenger trigger guard is what I used, but does require some Dremel work to the stock for it to fit. Part number is
CH2009-031

This link is for the needed spacer between the airtube and trigger assembly. You can make your own as well.
http://airgunlab.com/products/Marauder_Trigger_Spacer

This are the only needed parts for the trigger swap. I also remove the lawyer spring as I do on all Mrod triggers.

Hope this helps.

fe7565What accuracy are we talking about, gents? I am thinking about a Maximus, a used Marauder, or an AirMax Varmint as a project gun.

I have only been shooting on paper out to 30 yards and easily shooting moa with both my .177 and .22. I haven't shot groups on paper past that, but have been doing alot of 75 yard steel spinner plinking and having no issues hitting 1.5" spinners with proper windage and holdover.

The .177 definitely likes jsb 10.3 at 860fps. The .22 is shooting 14.3 boxed premiers the best so far. I am actually surprised how well these guns shoot for the price!!

"ajshoots"
I have only been shooting on paper out to 30 yards and easily shooting moa with both my .177 and .22. I haven't shot groups on paper past that, but have been doing alot of 75 yard steel spinner plinking and having no issues hitting 1.5" spinners with proper windage and holdover.

The .177 definitely likes jsb 10.3 at 860fps. The .22 is shooting 14.3 boxed premiers the best so far. I am actually surprised how well these guns shoot for the price!!
Thank you, gents. Impressive out of the box...wonder what it can do with further mods. Looks like the factory barrel is a keeper... AJ, are you planning to lap/polish it?

I am actually getting burnt out on working on airguns all the time. I am just enjoying shooting and hunting and not taking it too seriously. I am sure that prepping the barrels would yield results, I am just not wanting to tear them apart to do it.

Like I said above, if they weren't performing, I would go thru my normal routine of polishing and such. Maybe I am just getting lazy?? Lol

Lol I feel you on getting burnt out working on airguns. Have built 3 Mrods and 4 discos...couldn't stop tinkering with them so I sold them all off except one disco that I will give to my family for the occasional pest and then just picked up a regulated .25 Mrod that will be my ONLY project gun and I'm sick of working on it already lol. Got a Maximus in a trade and was a pretty good gun out of the box. Had a spare mrod trigger and spacer I through on it and worked great! However the barrel wasn't giving me the accuracy I wanted so through on a .22 disco barrel that I knew shot great had a short stiff spring I threw in it with a Mellon air power adjuster and man that thing shot great! Had it tuned for 18fpe for 40 shots and only ES of 25fps (only tuned that cause that's what the buyer wanted). If I ever felt like building another gun vs buying better guns (BIG if) I would pick a Maximus again it was a very nice gun for the money.

Many thanks for the info. Considering buying the Euro version (12 foot pound version) when it comes out and adding a suppressor. Luckily, I don't have to make the decision today. Benjamin Marauder and Maximus have come a long way in accuracy in the past couple years, very impressed with my Gen 2 Marauder, and from your description the Maximus shoots great accuracy. Its's awful tempting at that price just to have an extra PCP on hand for family and friends. It's cheap enough I can still keep saving for an Impact. It's tempting . . . . . . . . . .

My maximus improved its Point of Impact (POI) when a second band was added; let me explain. A new Vortex scope was mounted when it was single band. It required 40 clicks up, and 40 clicks right to zero at 25 yards. Then, when the second band was installed, the scope was returned to original settings, then the scope was zeroed to the Maximus again. It only required 8 clicks up and 8 clicks right to be on the bullseye. As for absolute accuracy, still hunting for the perfect pellet.