• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Marauder, Synth. Stock w/ LW barrel vs. Marauder SAM, synth. stock

Hi Air Gun aficionados,

As a newbie to this forum i am requesting input on +'s & -'s on the 2 Benj. Marauders.

It appears from what i have read on these and 3 reviews the SAM is great for multiple shots, slinging a lot of lead, but not near the precision of the bolt action w/ the LW barrel. Since there appears to be only about $125 between the two the biggest task seems to be deciding where my priorities lie. I would like BOTH, but that appears to not be in the cards. I guess the close grouping and accuracy is what i consider the more important feature for me.

I plan on using it for pest control around my pecan farm (squirrels, birds, skunks), since the break barrel Crossman Nitro Venum Dusk i bought about 7 years ago is useless. I have tried every different kind of hold on the rifle and it is a lost cause, at least for me.

In addition to the rifle, an air tank to be filled at the local Praxair should do the trick instead of some maintenance or breakdown prone pump. This is the tank i plan on getting:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-carbon-fiber-tank-4500-psi-74-cu-ft?a=5834

and this scope/rings is what i am currently planning on: 

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hawke-optics-3-12x44-ao-vantage-side-focus-rifle-scope-1-2-mil-dot?a=4431

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/1-weaver-medium-match-mount-rings-2-pc?a=7343

3 extra mags along with a cleaning kit, some silicon oil and these pellets:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/jsb-match-diabolo-exact-jumbo-heavy-22-cal-18-13-grains-domed-500ct?p=690

Any thoughts on my choices are welcome.

d page

pagedw,

I'm with UCChris on regulated gun, if you can swing it. On page 6, AGN "All Topics" forum, a thread by Rangur1, called, "Taipan Problem Resolved, but question remains," includes an excellent video posted by Jarmstrong about regulators on airguns. The beginning is more about how one actually works but later on shows benefits of use. Think of releasing air from full balloon, comes out fast and furious before fizzling out. If you had a device on balloon metering out precise amount of air, think how much more efficient using that air would be. In the simplest sense, that is what a regulator does in an airgun.

WM

Thanks to all for your replies.

I watched the regulator video, good explanation and data that clearly substantiates the effectiveness of a regulator.

Two Questions:

1. PA is closed today, but a search for Benjamin Marauder synth. stock with regulator turned up nothing. Does Benjamin offer a regulated version of the bolt action Marauder with the L/W barrel? If not the reg. tutorial guy recommended a Land (?) brand. Any opinions on good aftermarket regulators for the Marauder Synthetic bolt action?

2. Does anyone have data to quantify the difference between the grouping of a Marauder w/ L/W barrel-synthetic stock compared to the Marauder SAM synthetic stock? If the difference is not too big then the SAM may be the way to go, since i will be using it for pest control--as long as i can hit the vermin at around 25 yards or less, it won't matter.

Any info and opinions on this would be appreciated.

d page

pagedw

Benjamin Marauder only comes regulated in one version, It's called "Field and Target" or "Match" , not totally sure, but costs more. I looked at Marauder, too, when starting PCP adventure, but said only a regulated airgun was for me, so bought Umarex Gauntlet.25 for $300.

Adding a regulator to a PCP is certainly an option, I'm sure there are threads about this if you SEARCH on AGN forum "PCP" section, under "Marauder."

Pesting at 25 yds. isn't a much of an effort for almost any PCP. Special barrels, synthetic stocks and regulators aren't critical to that task, just match caliber choice to pest being taken. I think you'll get well hooked on this hobby so get a PCP that brings you joy, does what you want it to do today, while also being able to meet what you may want it to do in the future.

Lots of great folks willing and able to help on this forum

WM

Thanks WM.

will look into adding a reg. after purchase, assuming it's not to complicated. Think i could handle it even if complicated after 40+ years of being an ME, but i want to shoot not tinker.

Have any thoughts on reg. brand. Have read some on your suggested AGN search results and say Huma is a good brand, but my search for Huma regulator for Marauder produced zip @ PA,

I 'm still weighing the SAM or bolt action. If regulator can be added without too much precision sacrifice, the SAM would be great for 2nd shots. Of course the SAM won't have the L/W barrel, so????

Thanks again.

d page

pagedw,

I can't help much on the road you're traveling. I went from Umarex to FX and never looked back. The Marauder is a very popular starter PCP on this forum and many members still own one, or more. Thing is most have moved on from Marauder and, though still greatly loved, higher end guns occupy many member interests. In your shoes, I'd SEARCH forum threads for any, and all, Marauder information, I could find. I'd also search YouTube videos for same. Then, if you still have questions, post in simplest manner, such as, "Is HUMA Reg best for Marauder?" "Semi-Auto vs. Bolt Action in Marauder?" "Wood vs. Synthetic for Marauder?" "Is LW Barrel in Marauder Worth It?" You should get helpful opinions when asked this way. Best of luck on your journey,

WM

Thanks WM for your kind reply and recommendations.

The main stumbling block now is there is no local gas provider that i can find that can fill the tank i have on my order. He must send it out.

Until i get a price and time for this, i will not be placing my order for the gun, tank, scope and all accessories.

After working among other things in ultra high and high pressures (gas and liquid) for over 40 years in the calibration and metrology field i am very leery of the Air Venturi Nomad II 4500 PSI Portable PCP Compressor. It is made in China and although 4500 psi isn't all that high relatively speaking I have many doubts on the durability and maintenance requirements of pneumatic pumps that are this cheap. 

Just found out that PraxAir should probably be able to do it but 1mo turnaround time and $100--that's a no go for me after i spend more than $1500 on the hardware.

May just scrap the whole deal.

kind regards

pagedw

pagedw

If I follow correctly, your concern for a source of air for the PCP is the stumbling block. Many starter PCPs, like Gauntlet and Marauder can be hand pumped with $50 Chinese 4500psi handpumps, without much trouble. A little workout, but doable. The higher end guns use higher pressures and hand-pumping gets more difficult. Many turn to electric PCP pumps for straight gun filling or straight gun and/or tank filling. The oil-less and water-less 12v portable pumps usually need a rebuild at 20-30 hours operation, but they serve a purpose if you want to fill, in the field, using a car battery. A very popular option for affordable home-based gun/tank filling is the Yong Heng compressor. I recently purchased my "Set Pressure" version on Ebay for $272.50. Do SEARCH for "Yong Heng" on AGN forum, under "Compressors, Air tanks, etc." for a mountain of information. You may also learn of the 12v portable compressors during this search. Also, SEARCH "Hand Pumps" in same section, if interested. The Yong Hengs are well made, can last for years, parts are available and inexpensive. They use oil in crankcase and a container of water for cooling. Of course, there are top electric and gas powered pumps for lots more money, should you elect to go that route. I plan on being around to help, as are many others, so don't hesitate to ask.

WM 

WM,

after your comments on value vs. cost i ordered the Marauder SAM, synthetic 22cal, w/ Hawke Vantage 3-12x44 AO SF, 1/2 Mil-Dot, 1/4 MOA scope, 1" scope/mounts, 3 extra mags,

cleaning kit, 3 tins of pellets, and silicone oil.

Then i will buy the Yong Heng compressor from ebay. 

There are several vendors, selling the compressor. Any recommendations on which one has proven

most reliable? I like to buy from sellers with at least a 99% rating. This vendor at 99.4% but is about 30$ more than another, but it may be worth it if support is required.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224288811755?epid=28026199892&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3438a7aaeb:g:QAAAAOSwdDZginE5&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSvtkx670Z0mbyfWqmxLFLYXCjTT94fMiZFLEp8C%252Fx0KgTQMGa0bU%252FNq4fJaQVrInAR8NgjLAvXLe66wAiomNQxicLSDK5%252BAcQKdyjgPwQn6Rh4P3IEIyW2LFHRB9uNDbKTx1mfPQoRZiaut%252FEECC3DO5NyY%252FpJVyqGfreX3TJz8h1%252FUIKGSc4kxY1fWi%252FbLLctk68Zk3G6icvqfxsDlNvYUMlezLg8SNhwDVRrTn3kA2OWWXm5q35K%252B1QSM6CIIufvYrZ5y4FN8xEk3aBc8oS5G6xWUV1wDHzvxnYh0vM5ZMtkpA%252FD4a6PSe9AvA1%252Fct01zelg%252F6tARyPME1890E7CUUiDUBy9tCFGNSP0jYg61sjI0CbdflaEu7RlYHE0cYbdUU66Clq2nlGIRQPGOVB18Z4%252BHrCotbDCaD1jY42algv9vNNAYxnZbdaNUnnnLStkbfuYd1oucEUnAvyRX8%252FmcwNGIVvE5P%252B5Tohy5%252BSD9JzFPDV3%252B5y7rqZ3YNOW8p20aYujFHBWzMRTc8U3wLSWndr06MkxWq3gntx%252Fd0kW6Y4hROAxMwJmq0NgXlOxzZT35FdD2CbGMaRcZ3Bttrz%252FN1yh7kPadFOt5%252FE1jhT5lBCBT0B6zuPD1JkMLF%252BLYj3yZ3TT%252FU2CkptJ7w3ZlouWcFZtOIOxHD9IlAxYYnn9e5ItCxVFDVa7Ah85WlHGyvnGHlESYqGviOWY7XX%252BWMYLbEQtqeD2ivSvj07yX7aUFRRdkg%252F23YPLj0di6DskEeRrdqTYi3Oz7dy19lIMB0C688n%252FOYUOEhqr7OkH5YtXFHgINvnyffEaD%252FVIdQy6nI0RYRD1yA21ny4ARa1vEekaQ%253D%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Will wait for any input and after some more research on various vendors, and also any variants of this pump that would be better, before i buy. 

Since it will be about 3 weeks until the order is expected.

Thanks for your assistance on this air gun, and any other comments ref. the compressor that you may think pertinent.

pagedw

pagedw

I can only vouch for these sellers as much as they dealt with me. I purchased my "Set Pressure" 110v Yong Heng from "best-homepro." It arrived on time, well packaged and exactly as ordered. It was an authentic Yong Heng and I paid $272.50, free shipping.

I also purchased a 30Mpa Oil/Water Separator for $59.98 (free shipping) from "industry2021." It also arrived on time, well packaged and exactly as ordered.

Make sure you purchase an authentic Yong Heng, there are many, lower quality clones out there. Impossible to tell from advertising because, I suspect, some sellers post pictures of authentic Yong Hengs to sell their clones. Kind of a crap shoot, all I can say is that "best-homepro" did right by me.

WM

pagedw

While searching "Yong Heng" in AGN forum "Compressor, Air Tank, etc." section, look for any information offered by Biohazardman, His information is accurate and sound. He walks reader thru what to do and what pitfalls to avoid. His standard "Yong Heng" fact sheet is gold, and is freely offered. I copied a version of his pictured set-up but declined using the radiator cooling modification. You'll find some Yong Heng threads from me, as well.

WM

Calson,

I considered the bolt action Marauder you reference, but since the SAM is regulated:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/benjamin-marauder-semi-auto-sam-pcp-air-rifle-synthetic?m=5207&trk_msg=OEP3DBLFN1Q4909TQFGA81LI3O&trk_contact=23KP13LCM4FNP9ND9G05UT74FC&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=8UVQB6JO03G46IFOB4RSFA47KO&trk_link=7DMDADSGK8NKL8Q88ILEFC5LDG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.pyramydair.com%2fproduct%2fbenjamin-marauder-semi-auto-sam-pcp-air-rifle-synthetic%3fm%3d5207%2310422&utm_campaign=Thank+you+for+the+order!#10422

and offers the semi-auto capability (albeit not the L/W barrel) I chose that based on the planned use for the gun. It was a multifactor choice in which i had to prioritize many elements. 

I agonized over it and it wasn't easy but it has been ordered, so further deliberation is of no value.

The scope i got is:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hawke-optics-3-12x44-ao-vantage-side-focus-rifle-scope-1-2-mil-dot?a=4431&trk_msg=OEP3DBLFN1Q4909TQFGA81LI3O&trk_contact=23KP13LCM4FNP9ND9G05UT74FC&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=8UVQB6JO03G46IFOB4RSFA47KO&trk_link=7DMDADSGK8NKL8Q88ILEFC5LDG&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.pyramydair.com%2fproduct%2fhawke-optics-3-12x44-ao-vantage-side-focus-rifle-scope-1-2-mil-dot%3fa%3d4431&utm_campaign=Thank+you+for+the+order!

not the least expensive, and certainly not the top of the line. Hope it will do the job. At 4.5 star rating, think it stands a chance of doing so.

Thanks for you input.

pagedw

I bought a compressor for less than $400 on Amazon and it provides the free air for the PCP rifles. Where compressors get more complicated and expensive if for use with filling air tanks for people to breathe the air. No such concerns with an air rifle or a tank for an air rifle. With your own compressor you can either not bother with a fill tank or get by with a much smaller one that costs a lot less.

I bought the same Marauder as you did but after researching the cost and concerns with adding a regulator if I had it to do over I would have instead paid the additional $230 up front for the regulated version of this rifle. Getting up to twice as many shots per fill of the rifle would be very nice to have as well as a more accurate rifle as the air pressure in the rifle dropped.

I have the GX CS2 compressor on Amazon. 7 months in and no issues. Bought it to fill my avenger as it goes to 4350. spent the extra $50 on the extended 4yr warranty.

Also have the Hiram hand pump for my prod. Takes 20ish pumps to take prod from 1600 to 3k. Bought it on Amazon as well to $50ish has a lot of good reviews.

Also it backup...

its so easy to fill prod with pump that I don't pull out compressor unless I need full fill or am shooting avenger

Imo, everyone should own a prod.