• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Benjamin Marauder Expectations

I have a fairly new 2264LW Marauder and was just curious.

With absolutely no modifications whatsoever, I was able to tune it to get 40 shots starting at 3000psi it gets 801fps with a maximum velocity of 817fps in the middle of the 40 shots. The 40th shot ends up at about 1800psi then it starts to drop below 800fps. H&N Baracuda 18 pellets is all it has ever been fed and I've repeated these results over and over.

Is this normal?

Honestly I don't see many regulated pcps getting these results so I am wondering why I would ever buy a regulated gun unless I am just getting lucky?

This question is for people who currently own a 100% factory stock Gen 2 Marauder only. Please don't muddy the thread if you don't have one to compare. In my experience on forums I have no doubt that someone will totally ignore what I just said but it's worth a shot.

lol, i'll ignore it because all of my guns but one is unregulated and shoot satisfactorily with everything from 5 shots to over 100 per fill depending on a caliber and fill capacity .. for pesting and general use it dont matter as long as you know where your at with it .. the internally regulated one i have is a bottle gun and is nice for targeting sessions, but in a pinch you can 'externally' regulate anything .. that said sounds like your gun is well tuned, if it keeps them all on target throughout the pressure range and isnt picky thats not very common ..

Joe,
You have a 2nd Generation Marauder.
I had three 1st Generation Marauders and one 2nd Generation.
Crosman learned well from those on the forums who modified the Gen I rifles and your rifle has benefited.
A Gen I Marauder could, with a well tuned regulator get 80-90 shots.
Your numbers are correct and are perfect.
You should fill to 2800 and shoot to 1800.
There is still some activity dealing with Marauders on the GTA.
Here and there, Motörhead is the guy to ask questions.

lol, i'll ignore it because all of my guns but one is unregulated and shoot satisfactorily with everything from 5 shots to over 100 per fill depending on a caliber and fill capacity .. for pesting and general use it dont matter as long as you know where your at with it .. the internally regulated one i have is a bottle gun and is nice for targeting sessions, but in a pinch you can 'externally' regulate anything .. that said sounds like your gun is well tuned, if it keeps them all on target throughout the pressure range and isnt picky thats not very common ..
No worries I just prefer not to have people with modded marauders try to compare because they won't.

It quite literally will stack pellets at 30yds when I am doing my part and I dont even have a bipod yet. I digress on the mods and with full disclosure I did remove the extra spring in the trigger group and install Viton oring spacers to keep the sear inline, but that has nothing to do with the performance specs above it just improved the accuracy.

No tuning secrets intended, all I did was

1. Take out the transfer port adjustment grub/plug screw
2. Wrap the TP adj screw in teflon tape to keep it from moving when the grub is tightened
3. Reinstall the TP screw, bottom out then back out 3 turns exactly.
4. Reinstall grub screw
5. Set hammer spring tension at 2 full turns in

And shoot. I really don't see myself ever needing to do anything else as this is just a target rifle for me.

For nearly 10 years now .... Have been doing custom tuning and installing Regulators in Marauders.

My signature tune work on the .22 calibers are generally this ...
Shooting a JSB 18.1 at @ 865 fps ( 30 fpe ) they will do @ 40 shots under regulation and @ 10 post reg set point with no more than an @ 20fpe loss on the last & 5th magazine.

In .177 cal with similar work ....
Shooting a JSB 10.3 @ 880-900 fps they do 80-95 shots under regulation. Post set point I've not documented.

Reactions: joedirtee
Joe,
You have a 2nd Generation Marauder.
I had three 1st Generation Marauders and one 2nd Generation.
Crosman learned well from those on the forums who modified the Gen I rifles and your rifle has benefited.
A Gen I Marauder could, with a well tuned regulator get 80-90 shots.
Your numbers are correct and are perfect.
You should fill to 2800 and shoot to 1800.
There is still some activity dealing with Marauders on the GTA.
Here and there, Motörhead is the guy to ask questions.
Thank you. Confirms to me that I have no need to lust after a regulated version.

It amuses me how many consider the Marauder to be outdated, since many new budget pcps are most definitely based on the same principles to this day.

For nearly 10 years now .... Have been doing custom tuning and installing Regulators in Marauders.

My signature tune work on the .22 calibers are generally this ...
Shooting a JSB 18.1 at @ 865 fps ( 30 fpe ) they will do @ 40 shots under regulation and @ 10 post reg set point with no more than an @ 20fpe loss on the last & 5th magazine.

In .177 cal with similar work ....
Shooting a JSB 10.3 @ 880-900 fps they do 80-95 shots under regulation. Post set point I've not documented.
Also confirms that regulating would be a waste of time and $ for me personally. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for your input.

Thank you. Confirms to me that I have no need to lust after a regulated version.

It amuses me how many consider the Marauder to be outdated, since many new budget pcps are most definitely based on the same principles to this day.
Factory F&T regulated version IS A DUD !!! It will not make the power of a regulated "Standard" model.

And keeping the DATA comparison REAL .... your H&N 18g at @ 800 is just 25.5 fpe. So really not equal at all.

Factory F&T regulated version IS A DUD !!! It will not make the power of a regulated "Standard" model.

And keeping the DATA comparison REAL .... your H&N 18g at @ 800 is just 25.5 fpe. So really not equal at all.

Noone said it was equal. Don't be offended over a post on an airgun forum please. Actually I specifically asked for data from unregulated guns but your data showed me what I wanted to know anyway. I said it confirms that regulating it would be a waste of MY time and money and it would. The rifle does exactly what I need it to. It certainly will make more power if I need it to, but I don't. Thanks again for the confirmation and input.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorhead

Is there not a PM function on this forum? I was going to ask a couple questions as you seem to be the Marauder Pro

Mostly, with 40 shots in a sub-20fps spread, could my setup get say... 10-20 more shots within this spec if I installed an SSG or similar? I don't hear any hammer bounce at only 2 turns in but that doesnt mean there is none. Striker is wherever it was from the factory, have not been inside the tube at all. Thanks

Joe,
Yes I've been at the R&D / Tuning game on AG's well north of a decade now. Was the one who R&D'ed the use of light Weight hammers used with Regulation in marauders @ 12 years ago. Am I the Marauder Pro :oops: No self claiming of such, tho said, I am a Professional under the description being paid for doing that skill of Air Gun Modifications etc for hire ...

All my SSG experience which is extensive, has all occurred working with REGULATED PCP's. Your results in a Non Regged PCP I'm honestly not sure ?