benjamin marauder can i leave it cocked ?

"spysir"Wouldn't store it cocked, the spring will take a set.
Personally I would fire the shot. Barring that ( but really hate having one in the tube) I would de-cock it. Just pull the cocking arm back and hold pressure eo0n it then pull trigger and slowly return bolt to forward position, un cocked.
John

Might want to remove the magazine first.
If he does this (without removing the magazine) he will have two in the tube.

"alex2865"it wears out the spring.plus its dangerous.alex

If Crosman used a properly designed spring it will not "wear out" just from being cocked. How about the valve poppet spring in the gun, isn't it under static tension while cocked or uncocked? Are you concerned about it?
Just the same as your car coil springs or your motor's valve springs will not just "wear out" from the static tension placed on them while at rest.

Fire the sucker. One pellet and one shot of air ain't gonna hurt you to loose. I guarantee you if you decock gun and leave pellet in the barrel, you will double load the barrel the next time you go to shoot, because you will forget you left a pellet in the barrel. That is, if you didn't double load it trying to decock it. Shoot the pellet! Save the grief.

"Hookster"I doubt the spring in question is designed to be left cocked. The other examples are. Sure it wouldn't hurt for short periods but long term storage will induce memory.

"Memory"  I am not sure what you meant by that?

After a spring takes its initial set, the spring can either withstand the load applied on it or it can not. Stress (S) in a material is defined: S = Force / Area. Note there is no time function in this simple formula. So again, either the spring can sustain the load or it can not. BigTinBoat nailed it in his post above!

Personal opinion here - I'd fire it just so it isn't cocked, or at least de-cock following instructions. If you de-cock, then make sure you don't load a second pellet.

​As for the spring taking a set, modern springs typically don't take the set from being compressed, but why take the chance? Besides, safety first, no pellet in the chamber, can't hurt anyone.