Benjamin Benjamin Marauder BP2264 Upgrade?

My Marauder is unregulated and it will shoot over 40 shots within a 15fps spread. Marauders do not need to be regulated. All it does is increase shot count. A better hammer spring will also do that. I know you know this... He wants POWER. Adding a reg will decrease the power potential no matter what. Saying otherwise is just plain wrong.
Chrono will be by 3pm tomorrow according to amazon. Whats the first step once I get it?

My Marauder is unregulated and it will shoot over 40 shots within a 15fps spread. Marauders do not need to be regulated. All it does is increase shot count. A better hammer spring will also do that. I know you know this... He wants POWER. Adding a reg will decrease the power potential no matter what. Saying otherwise is just plain wrong.

I never dissagreed with you, I think I was agreeing with you :)! A regulator will reduce power potential of an otherwise stock rifle.

However, I have two regulated Marauders in .25 that can shoot at near 70 foot pounds, JSB 34s at 960 fps +/- 10 fps, for 24 shots which is a decent shot count for that power level. But neither are really a Marauder but in name any longer, they are something else. So, in that point, we disagree. A regulator can be useful. But not for the OP and his purposes now. A regulator alone would not get him what he wants, mostly the opposite and cost $$ and a start down the rabbit hole which I am more than happy to encourage :devilish: . Your advice to the OP is solid, but no fun ;).

Last edited:
One thing I have not seen mentioned-Record the current hammer spring, hammer stroke, and transfer port settings BEFORE you start adjusting anything. Take notes of what you change and make any adjustments gradually. Also pay attention to the accuracy-power isn't worth much if you can't hit your target. Most pellets are at their best at a certain speed. Too fast or too slow may wreck your accuracy. Be prepared to go through a lot of air, pellets and time.
Best of luck!
PS Google the 'A team' tuning guide' it may help explain tuning.
Here's a video I found helpful-the gun is an earlier model but still very similar

Yes. You need to back the transfer port screw out for sure. It's usually set about halfway in from the factory which limits the power a lot. In order to do that without damaging the stock, you have to take the action out of the stock.

And you NEED a chronograph. Don't try to tune without one.
Chronograph acquired. Hex set acquired. Degassing tool.... not acquired. I am sure I need one but seeing as I don't have it in hand right now what can be done without one?

My one and only purchased Marauder came with a degassing tool. It is not a good practice and requires careful attention but degassing can be done by backing the pressure gauge out just enough and no more. The Marauder has a restriction to prevent massive flow should the gauge fail. But still, not a good practice. The other way to degas is to shoot the rifle down. I do not like doing that either but it is per the OM.

One thing I have not seen mentioned-Record the current hammer spring, hammer stroke, and transfer port settings BEFORE you start adjusting anything. Take notes of what you change and make any adjustments gradually. Also pay attention to the accuracy-power isn't worth much if you can't hit your target. Most pellets are at their best at a certain speed. Too fast or too slow may wreck your accuracy. Be prepared to go through a lot of air, pellets and time.
Best of luck!
PS Google the 'A team' tuning guide' it may help explain tuning.
Here's a video I found helpful-the gun is an earlier model but still very similar
Do I need to degas to mess with the screws? I’ve read the a team tuning guide but they don’t mention whether or not to degas before starting.

Do I need to degas to mess with the screws? I’ve read the a team tuning guide but they don’t mention whether or not to degas before starting.

Which screws!!!!???

You CANNOT remove these:

There are three allen cap screws that hold the valve body inside the reservoir tube, one at three, one at six (under the trigger boss) and one at nine (o'clcok) and these MUST not be fooled with unless the rifle is degassed.

Do not remove the pressure gauge unless degassed.

Do not remove the fill assembly or foster fitting from the fill assembly unless degassed.

You CAN adjust the hammer spring, striker, even remove the barrel from the breech and remove the breech (four long allen cap screws) from the reservoir tube, access the transfer port, change out or remove the hammer or hammer spring and remove the shroud from the barrel.

You absolutely cannot loosen or remove screws or parts that affect the integrity of the High Pressure Air reservoir without fully degassing and verifying the rifle is degassed.

Reactions: bf1956

You can safely adjust hammer spring tension, hammer stroke, and transfer port without degassing. The adjustments affect how hard the hammer strikes the valve poppet and the transfer port screw allows more or less air into the barrel per shot by closing off or opening up the port. Make notes of the stock settings before you start tuning so you can take it back to the starting point if you don't like your adjustments. Take notes of what you adjust as you go, take your time and have fun!

Reactions: chaxtell
Team,
I am glad to see that the Old Marauder is still of interest and desire. The M-Mod has stood the test of time like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have several M-Rods ranging from tuned stock to extreme mods, they all have a specific purpose. I must agree with the information in this string, you can't properly tune a rig without a chrono, you can't safely do ANY work on a air rifle without knowing the dangers. Not releasing compressed air is like playing with a 3000+psi bomb that could result in an UNWANTED event. Please learn your equipment before trying to tune it. This forum is an endless source of information and ideas, you just have to ask the right question. "How do I ???" just ask. There are MANY members who have set person records that are hard to believe, but are true. I still find myself surprised by new small gains rather in ammo, ammo prepping, or even barrel cleaning. I feel that I have reached the end of my mods and tunes; I am very happy with my Beast collection. Accurate and Powerful, Purpose Built. Have Fun and be SAFE.