• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin marauder. 25

I bought a new marauder from crosman when they had a sale a little while back. I ended up with a .25 cal wood stock and a good looking gun. My question is they say you can get 16 shots per fill but would like to get a few more than that. Thinking about about a regulator but wondering which one. Kind of leaning towards a huma but just want best buy for my dollar as the budget is slim these days. Thanks for the help guys!

Somebody else with a 25 will have to speak to that. Mine is set between 115 and 120 bar and I change the hammer spring tension for varying power with different pellets so my shot count varies. I also fill from a scuba tank so as the tank gets lower I get fewer shots. A 3000# fill from a fresh tank shooting crosman premiers slowly for plinking with grandkids gives more than 50 shots.

I have a .25 caliber marauder that I put a Hill valve and hammer kit in mine. With my current tune I now get about forty shots from 900-915 fps with 25gr pellets no regulator needed. Just another option. I'm assuming with a good tune and a reg you should be able to get close to those numbers, but the regulator will take up some room in your air tube so may be a few less.

have you even tried it ... thats 16 shots in the sweet zone with about a 2800 fill ...you csn probably get double that with a full fill for just plinking with the stock tune which is around 890 with 25g ...turn the tune down - even more ...just sayin ..nothing wrong with wanting to mod but 16 shots more or less dead on out to 50+ with a hard hitting .25 will decimate a whole army of squirrels real quick lol ...

lethemgo,

My advise, don't do anything to your .25 Marauder until you have shot it at least 500 or more times. Then decide it you want to start down the rabbit hole buying everything someone suggests to add to your Marauder.

You don't need a different barrel band. Get two 7/8 x 3/4 x 1/16 #30 Danco o-rings and put one on each side of the barrel band and with a tooth pick, push them up under the barrel band. Mine has been that way ever since I got the gun new and I do not get point of impact changes. My gun stands upright in the safe leaning against the shroud and never changes the point of impact. Just don't pick up the gun by the barrel band.

I only shoot paper targets to sight in any airgun. If I want to try for smallest group with the Marauder, I would limit it to two magazines before refilling with air to 2800 psi. For just fun shooting out to 50 yards at water filled pill bottles, I can shoot 4 or 5 magazines before refilling. Of course at the longer ranges, I use the mil dots in the scope, but out to about 25 yards I never need the mil dots. My gun is tuned to 856 fps with JSB 25.39 pellets.

My gun is stock except for a designer that I put in when I had to replace the poppet. Can I tell a difference in the ping. Yes, a little, but if I had it to do again I'd save the money. You are the one that hears the ping, not other people. 

You have a great gun just like it is now. 

Of course, these are just my opinion. To each his own.

With all of these suggestions, I would be mindful of your tunes extreme spread (ES) along the way. If you open up the ports without using a regulator you can expect a much higher bell curve and ES. This is fine for short range shooting but would be bad for long range accuracy.

Building your own DIY SSG for a couple of bucks will eliminate hammer bounce and wasted air per shot which equates to a few more shots per fill. This would apply whether regulating or not. Lightweight hammers work well too, but you will need to replace the lost hammer energy from the lighter weight hammer by increasing the hammer spring rating to maintain the same velocity as before, which can cause harder cocking effort. Not a suggestion, but I have filled just slightly higher 3200 (probably a bad gauge) and picked up a few more shots.

I think these days the Hill kit/parts would be the way to go if wanting to modify. I would go with a Huma regulator and have a couple of rebuild kits for it on-hand as well. There use to be other options for modifying these guns, but not anymore.

I will add that if you do go regulated you want to go all the way with opened up valve, TP and barrel ports, otherwise forget regulating it. Hill has a modified or larger TP for regulating.

Once fully regulated and tuned properly, You can expect to get more shots beyond the reg's set point and still maintain a tight ES up to a point. This is the real beauty of regulating, plus a flatter bell curve, but comes at the price of more maintenance having the regulator. Not really too bad though and easy to rebuild with the rebuild kit. Should be good for 4-5 years maybe longer.

I had been shooting a .22 Marauder but with a .25 cal rifle I wanted one with a regulator from the factory and bought the Air Arms S510. In general a .25 rifle provides a 50% gain in hitting power but uses 50% more air per shot than a .22 airgun. Regulated rifles generally get twice as many shots per fill as compared to unregulated ones and so it balanced out. With the arrival of the .25 Air Arms I also invested in an inexpensive shoe box compressor to use instead of my hand pump which was OK with the .22 rifle.