• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Marauder .22 new or FX WILDCAT MK 2 BULLPUP 5.5MM used -7 months old

Hi. Im totally new to PCP's and need some information on making a final decision.

I am in the run for a PCP to tame down some ground squirrels and also do some targeting in the backyard.

Within my budget range I am looking at the Benjamin Marauder buying new.

OR

A FX WILDCAT MK 2 BULLPUP 5.5MM (.22) in excellent condition, is 7 months old and has the smooth twist interchangeable barrel at about $1270, no scope (I'm in South Africa and that price is about $340 under its retail price.

My hunting range varies between 30 - 125yards. 

So, what will this community recommend?

Regards

The used $899 FX Bobcat 22 combo with Hawke scope from Utah Airguns.

Probably offer $600 for just the 22 FX Bobcat since there's a USA scope export restriction.

Bobcat is a much better gun than any Wildcat or variants. Probably most trouble free FX bullpup as well.

For the price, Odoyle is correct. If you have other needs , you are on the right track.

I have a Marauder .25 Cal with the Green Mountain barrel (10 years old). I have shot squirrels to 106 yards easily.

Hunting Descanso July 3 2014 002.1609133575.JPG

I’ve owned two . 22 Marauders and upgraded the hack out of them before. This includes MMHF barrel, Hill valve, WAR hammer, Lane regulator, and polishing all the moving parts. By the time I was done it cost about the same as an entry level FX rifle. It was very accurate but still felt like a budget rifle with low shot count. Go for the used FX Wildcat. 

Thank you so much for the advice given already. I have a dive cylinder that I will use as refill tank.

If I opted to acquire another barrel in say .25, do I need to change anything else apart for the magazine, to accept the bigger ammo?

I also spotted an EVANIX MAX ML 5.5 for $1200, but according to what I have learned from the community's advice the FX seems the have the thumbs up.

regards

If you plan to change caliber on the Wildcat MK2 you’re better off spending a little more and get the MK3 or something that has a gauge for the regulated pressure. The regulator pressure has to be adjusted to match the caliber along with a barrel kit, probe, and magazine. I also don’t think you can change caliber on the EVANIX MAX ML. 

You are quite right Kenn1320. 22cal is the highest cal to go without licensing your rifle. However, and this is so ironic, that apparently, when one apply for a license for say a .30 or even higher, the paperwork is the same as for a normal firearm, BUT, the authorities throw the applications out due to the "grey" area surrounding air rifles. So, most guys apply, it got thrown out and then they just continue to use the guns. Very dicey, but while the system doesn't cater for the air rifle fraternity in an adequate way, they abuse it. 🙈

A friend and I started into the PCP world with Marauders. Good rifles for the entry price and experience, but we quickly moved in the FX rifles. So much nicer, but you are paying twice as much... at least!!

We upgraded one of our Marauders best we could but it did not even come close to the FX straight out the box.

Hands down another +1 for the FX Wildcat!