• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Discovery with co2?

I am thinking about going PCP, but I say no to $200 pumps or scuba tanks, to avoid those I will stick with an RWS Springer or Valiant nitro piston. But......the idea of the disco, that I can fill from a couple of cheap paintball tanks is enticing. So, has anyone used one of these with co2? Does it WORK? Does it affect accuracy or FPE? I live in SoFl, so temp isn't an issue. I am just about performance and price. I know I should get a marauder, but by the time you get done with tanks and compressors you're well north of a grand. So if I can get the PCP performance going with co2 I'm all in (Greta Thuneberg can suck rocksl lol). 

The next question is noise. I have a donny fl sumo. Is that enough for mouse fart quiet?

Thanks!

Hand pump is not a problem with my Gamo urban which fills to 3000psi the disco would be even easier. Now I'll answer your question. I asked the same question and several people said that I would get 15 fpe out of the 22 and with air 20 or so depending on if you tune it or leave it factory. I can't swear by that because I don't have a disco but I trust those guys and point is they all said it would be a good hunting option even with co2. Good luck

Yes. Had a disco a decade ago. Shot it on CO2 because I had easy access to a lot of it. Power sucked. Remember, CO2 is max 900 psi. Accuracy was unaffected inside 25 yards but trajectory fell off quickly beyond that. 
Disco preforms so much better on HPA. 
Gun is still loud on CO2. 
if you truly want to stay CO2, consider a Hammerli 850.

There is no shortcut to PCP performance with co2. Before the Discovery was, I built a couple of similar Crosman rifles. They shot fine on co2 but were more powerful on air even at 1200psi so +1 on the cheap pump to take you to 1700-1800 psi which is the sweet spot for the gun. You can get 10-20 good shots depending on your power settings but it will not be backyard friendly. You will need a degassing tool and an adapter to fill the Discovery with co2. If you can manage, the Fortitude is regulated, a repeater, has a higher shot count and is shrouded as well. But you would still need the pump.

Come over to the Dark side we have cookies. ;^)

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
A disco and co2 is gonna be more expensive than a disc with a handpump. Remember you will always need to buy co2 to refill the gun. With a $40 hand pump from ebay. You are set with free air. I used to go with co2 and it cost $5 to refill my small paintball bottle. So after 8 times refill I could already get a handpump. Also as stated, co2 is max at about 800-900 psi. Hpa on the disc is max at 2000 psi. Big difference in power. As to make it quiet. The disc is loud. But add any silencer and it will be very quiet.

You're getting some good advice, the only thing I would add is do a little research/comparison shopping for hand pumps.

I have a copy of the Air Venturi hand pump sold by P.A., and also the original A.V. - paid less than half of the "original" for it, and it pumps up my Disco based Crosmans faster, and has a quick release fill hose to boot!

PS

Noise is a huge issue. I just dropped $150 on a Donny Fl LDC. It turned a crossman 2240 to mouse fart quiet in the sumo. No joke, I am visiting my old man. The thing comes in the mail yesterday. I screw it on (the 2240 is obnoxiously loud) and I, being the not so good son, decide to to perform the napping dad test.😉. Anyway at 15 feet with fresh co2 he didn't even stir. THAT is backyard friendly! Will it quiet the DISCO? Even if not, my free advice to the board is buy Donny Fl. For moderators. Don't even bother to shop. He is worth every penny and then some. The sumo is awesome. Seriously, if someone can sleep through a 2240 fired 15 feet away indoors? What more do you want?

A Hammerli 850 as mentioned above is the way to go,I have one,get over 120 shos on a bottle.It is accurate,mine has a long lead collector so is real quiet...I also have a Discovery,hand pump to problem,Butt in only gets 26 shots per fill..

So then both rifles need to be quiet down,the 850 with "end" piece is long,,butt to me a way better option.

Go to Ali express and buy a cheap 35 dollar option then go to eBay and buy an inline filter for 15 bucks. Just search inline filter. The one for 5 bucks is too small the 15 dollar one is perfect and you can fill the inside with water beads from Amazon. Or you can buy the more expensive ones with the filter built in. It will cost more. You can definitely just use the pump but it will build condensation. I don't think it's that big of a deal for a cheap gun but I do it. Ask everyone else if it matters. 

I'm a fan of the cheap hand pumps. The big trick to using them is to learn your gun. learn where to quit shooting and repump up. Never shoot til your empty. That way they pump up faster and , faster means -- easier.Less wear and tear on you and,-- the pump. Also learn how to pump, that really helps with pump heat , which in reality is the life of the orings in it.

The Disco is still a good starter PCP. I've got two here, one is son's. They both work best at 1700 to 1800 psi which is very easy to pump with a hand pump. Shop around and you can get a good price on gun and pump. Have a TKO on one of the guns and it is fairly quite, but not if you have bad neighbors. Cheap pump is less money than equipment required to use CO2.

Be aware though, you are just starting down the rabbit hole. Disco was my first PCP. You won't stop there for long.

Good luck.

You may need an adapter for the Sumo to fit on the Discovery. Also ImpactX has what looks like a decent pump and you can definitely use an inline filter as Raden1942 suggests.

Yes, an adapter will be needed to mount any 1/2UNF threaded LDC on the Discovery barrel

Donnyfl makes one that has a relief cut out in the bottom so that the fill probe can mate with the nipple.

https://donnyfl.com/collections/adapters/products/benjamin-discovery-adapter

$40

I have a Tanto on my Maximus and it is vewy vewy qwiet.

BTW

If you shoot iron sights you can mount your front sight on the adapter

I

Hope this helps

Ed