“Benjamin Discovery” Dual Fuel Rifles

“Benjamin Discovery” Dual Fuel Rifles (HPA 2000 psi & CO2) .177 & .22 Caliber

(Excerpt from my CD, “Old Air Guns and Memories”)

Hello to all;

Back in 2008 I read with more than just a passing interest, the introduction of the Benjamin Discovery Rifles and their Dual Fuel capabilities, HPA & Co2!! It was the Co2 aspect that I was REALLY INTERESTED in, looking for an improved version of the M-113/114!! The Discovery with a larger OD Co2 tube .880” vs .750” for the 113/114 which will store more Co2 and should provide a longer shot string, and a 24.5” barrel, the M-113/114 a 22” barrel; and depending on the valve set up could also provide higher velocities as well. The overall length of the Discovery was 39 inches just one inch longer than the 113/114 units and weighed 5.25 lbs. nice compact size! Push type safety on trigger guard, wood stock and utilizes a male foster type fitting for charging.

The Discovery production used the basic framework of the Crosman M-2260 Co2 Rifle as a launching platform aesthetically speaking; with some significant internal differences because of the 2000 PSI HPA rating, the valve body was externally secured for example, on board pressure gage, entirely different valve system etc.

There was plenty of article coverage of the Discovery HPA performance which was predominately the way the Discovery units were advertised, very little info initially on the Co2 side, which is understandable if you are trying to enter the HPA market. Eventually however the Discovery did get some testing on the CO2 side and the velocity and shot count were impressive!

Some articles that I read using Co2, quoted the Discovery .22 cal. with velocities in the 650+fps 13ft.lb. Range with 14.3 grain pellets, and shot counts in the 40- 50 range on one charge. The .177 cal.730 +fps 7.9 grain pellets and 9+ft.lbs. With 40-50 shots, impressive indeed! It was at this point that I decided I would, at the first opportunity, get one of each in .22/.177 caliber! It wasn’t until 2014 that I did so.

I was perusing the net in 2014 and came across a dealer who advertised “Discovery Factory Refurbs” at 165.00 each!! So I immediately ordered 1 each in .177 and .22 caliber the cost of two was basically the price for one unit when they were initially put on the market (Rifle only)! Both units looked factory new no wear marks etc. I was happy with both units, they each had rear adjustable and fixed front fiber optic sights. After field range testing both it was clear these Discovery units made the 113/114 Crosman Co2 rifles, have to take a back seat performance wise, in the area of velocity and power , the 113/114 units had been surpassed, took some 50+years but it had been done!! (Just my 2 cents others may disagree!)

I identified 3 areas during the initial field test that were needed, for both units to meet my goals, (1) - scope (2)- trigger work and (3)- 2nd. barrel band. I chose the Winchester branded 2x7x32 AO Scope, did the 3 screw mod to trigger and set at 2.25 lbs. (info available on the net) and installed a second barrel band purchased directly from Crosman. There are pros and cons about second barrel bands. I fall in the Pro group; there was some slight movement at the muzzle end of the barrel, at least on my units, so I chose to eliminate this with the 2nd. Barrel band, I installed the band and after cleaning both band and lock set screws, and using Blue lock tight, tightened just enough to prevent movement of barrel, no more!!

After upgrades mentioned above final testing revealed that the .22 cal. averaged 646 fps 13.25 ft. lbs. over 40 shots , high 665 fps –low 627 fps and averaged 615 fps over 50 shots 12.0 ft. lbs.!! Almost double the M-114 shot capabilities. The M-113 .177 caliber averaged 716 fps .9.2 ft. lbs. over 50 shots, with a high of 748 fps and a low 0f 685 fps again almost double the M-113 shot capabilities!!! (25–30 shots at full power for the 113/114).

The accuracy however, was really no better than the M-113/114 surprisingly; the Discovery .22 caliber. 5 shot groups of .560 “center to center JSB Exacts and the Discovery .177 5 shot .420”center to center with Predator Polymag, basically the same as the 113/114 series tested previously; groups shot at 25 yards from a bench rest. However the edge would have to go to the Discovery units in this area, because of the extended useable shot count!!!

There were other areas as well that surpassed the teen series, better trigger/ safety, scope grooves in breech “easer scope mounting” and of course the HPA aspect “Dual Fuel” concept etc;. mine will probably never taste HPA; however the option is there !!

I find myself reaching for the Discovery units now, giving the 60+ year old 113/114 units a well deserved rest!

Sadly it looks like these units have been dropped from production; the latest Benjamin Catalogs does not list them!

Garey

Discovery 01.jpg

Discovery 02.jpg

Discovery 03.jpg

Discovery 04.jpg

Discovery 05.jpg

Discovery 06.jpg

Reactions: baranjhn