• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin bulldog 357

I'm trying to get some advice I'm trying to get a heavy slug for deer hunting in my Benjamin bulldog to perform I wanna shoot a 142 grain slug but when I crashed over 125 the bullet jumps right about 6 inches too far for me to bring back with the scope adjustment. Does anyone have some advice the guy at the range at the shooters bench air rifle range that I shoot at suggest that maybe the twist in my barrel is not fast enough to stabilize the bullet any thoughts on this when I see the gun on YouTube videos it seems to shoot 145 grain slugs no problem

145 gr boat tail 358 from Griffin his stuff works really good in my Texan
I have had great luck with my mostly stock Bulldog with the Boat Tail NSA 142gr slugs at 100 yards. Not sure about the new flat slugs at the same weight, as I have not tried them.

Are you saying that you run out of elevation at your zoom level, and the slugs hit low out of scope view? If that's what your saying that's what happens when you shoot a slug at 750 fps at 125 yards! The quick fix is to reduce your zoom power. The other fix is to buy the Bulldog M.357 so you can increase the 142gr slug velocity, which will reduce drop at distance.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I have had great luck with my mostly stock Bulldog with the Boat Tail NSA 142gr slugs at 100 yards. Not sure about the new flat slugs at the same weight, as I have not tried them.

Are you saying that you run out of elevation at your zoom level, and the slugs hit low out of scope view? If that's what your saying that's what happens when you shoot a slug at 750 fps at 125 yards! The quick fix is to reduce your zoom power. The other fix is to buy the Bulldog M.357 so you can increase the 142gr slug velocity, which will reduce drop at distance.
No the elevation is good it just flicks the pellet slug sorry about 6 inches to the right the 80 grain is dead nuts bullseye 127 is two inches high which is fine but the 142 jumps left

I'm trying to get some advice I'm trying to get a heavy slug for deer hunting in my Benjamin bulldog to perform I wanna shoot a 142 grain slug but when I crashed over 125 the bullet jumps right about 6 inches too far for me to bring back with the scope adjustment. Does anyone have some advice the guy at the range at the shooters bench air rifle range that I shoot at suggest that maybe the twist in my barrel is not fast enough to stabilize the bullet any thoughts on this when I see the gun on YouTube videos it seems to shoot 145 grain slugs no problem
@Rick Housel You have gotten some good advice so far as far as ammo. In a stock Benjamin Bulldog .357 JSB .35, 81 grain pellets and NSA 110 grain hollow-point dish-base slugs shoot very well out of the box. Heavier slugs (140 grain and up) start dropping like crazy outside of 55-60 yards in my experience. You can also install a power spring from Pitbull Airguns and move up to 135 grain, .357 Griffin Airgun Ammo slugs, but you will likely have to also add a steel cocking lever and adjust the hammer spring tension. The NSA 110 grain HP-DB slugs should still shoot well after the upgrade. In my experience, .357 diameter projectiles shoot well from my Benjamin Bulldogs.

I don’t think anyone else has said this but it sounds like your gun just doesn’t like that ammo. It seems to shoot well with others but goes off hard right with this one? I would try some others and see what works better. Doesn’t sound like a gun problem to me.

Rick H.

@RickH Yes it’s been said in this thread. That’s why I didn’t reiterate that idea. See post #2.