• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Benjamin Armada bolt

Hi Folks,

Im new to pcp airgunning, Ive been a powder burner, reloader all my all my life, well at least since the mid 1970's

I just got me a used Armada, its appears to be in good shape, holds pressure well, is accurate and Im surprised how hard it hits.

Anyway, after firing a round and when I cycle the bolt I have to pull back on the bolt with some force ( not a lot but noticeable) to get the magazine to rotate to the next round.

I have noticed that the bolt tip protrudes into the magazine well probably about a 1/32 of an inch when the magazine is out, is this normal bolt operation on the Armada/Mauraders?

I apologize if i placed this in the wrong forum...it seemed right for it to be here.

Thanks for any help!

Yup, normal for the Armada but surprisingly not normal for the Marauder. I have both and just purchased both in the last month as my first air guns. I immediately ripped both apart and installed all aftermarket parts. I tried to put different manufacturers/models/purposes parts between the two so that they didn’t turn out to the be exact same air gun.

I’m pretty sure you can make that last tiny pull on the bolt that takes so much effort much easier to do with changing the hammer spring. It may even be possible by backing off of the hammer pretension. I don’t *think* the hammer striker position has anything to do with it but not 100% on that. Either way, by backing off and not replacing anything you’d be tuning the rifle for less air, meaning lower velocity and energy/power. It’s worth it to just replace the valve and hammer spring setup including a hammer denounce device so you can get 40+ shots of .25 instead of under 20 shots before refilling.

I have an Armada in .22 and mine does the same thing. I have had mine a year and am completely used to it at this point. As it doesn't affect accuracy or power I am not going to mess with it. Mine is going to become a bit of a shelf queen anyway as I just got my Maverick a couple weeks ago. Will still get used if I take friends out to my permissions though.

Thanks folks, I do appreciate it. I may slowly go inside of that area to see if, if something is binding or galling, burrs etc etc. I will do my homework about degassing if need be...probably wont hurt to shoot it down ( no degassing tool yet) and check it out.

I recently got the "bicycle pump" to charge it up....it was at 1100psi when I got it and took about 120 strokes to get it to 2900, about 10-12 shots later it was around 2500. Yea its a air hog alright...could be that the previous owner cranked up the hammer spring, ( thanks for the info) thus making me have to work the bolt harder??? Interesting stuff!

Im enjoying this PCP stuff, plus it a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot too! With the current state of affairs and all the hording thats going on, ammo and reloading prices are scarce and gone out the roof...I will sit that one out, I have enough without being a pig about it. I bet its pushed more people into the PCP world, thus increasing the pressure there too. I made the switch partly because of that and I have always had an air rifle floating around.... 1969, 9 years old had a crosman bb gun that looked like an M1 carbine, then onto the daisy 881/880, those things were cheap, decently powerful/accurate and served me well for years.

I was totally ignorant about the air rifle world but really gained more interest in them when a friend picked up a ( if not mistaken) a break barrel RWS .25 at a gun show, I really started to wonder about the air rifle world then because I was surprised by the ability it had

Hey guys. The reason you have to pull back hard on the bolt is because the bolts were made a tiny bit longer. I don’t know why. You can easily modify your magazine to clear the bolt tip using only a small flat file or a dremel. It affects nothing whatsoever other than making magazine changes easy and simple. I have posted pics on this forum before showing the modification needed.
You could also buy a replacement bolt, or modify your existing bolt. I think it’s simpler and easier to just modify the magazine though.

9B3EC48D-D636-42F0-956B-0C1D981DC492.jpeg

A8B0372E-0334-4F69-971F-8BDEEF97E0F3.jpeg

F3843FD8-4FA0-4EEE-AF65-8369C95C6AB4.jpeg

CCEDD903-2975-4381-81B3-CA10B19B188D.jpeg

If you zoom in on each picture you can see the bolt tip protruding into the magazine space and the groove you need to make to clear it.
To create an index mark in the magazine I inserted the magazine into the gun and then let the bolt tip drag across the magazine as I removed it from the rifle several times. The bolt tip will scribe a line into the plastic showing you where it made contact. That’s where you need to remove material.
Everything will remain perfectly functional on the rifle, nothing changes except the magazine is no longer a hassle to remove and insert.