• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Akela

Received my Akela a couple days ago. This was my post over on the GTA of first impressions:

"My Akela arrived late yesterday afternoon. I didn't quite win the Funiture Lottery that Troy did with his, but mine arrived with no visable blemishes on the wood or the metal, and filled to right at 3000 psi, so not overfilled. It came with assorted allen wrenches, a couple of O rings, two magazines, and a small plastic rail to be attached to the front bottom for a tripod, etc. Nothing was mentioned in the user manual about any of the accessories in the box.
The safety is manual (I know some will appreciate that) and was a bit stiff out of the box, but after flipping it a few times was beginning to losen up some. The cocking arm was quite smooth, but had a bit more play in it than it should have when the lever was back. There are baffles in the shroud (I didn't check to see how many, just confirmed that they were there) and the gun definitely sounded like it would be back yard friendly. I dry fired a couple of times in the kitchen and once in the bedroom and the noise level seemed low. Magazines loaded fine, and operated as they should.
The power adjuster was on MAX out of the box, and is infinitely variable, so no clicks in the adjustment wheel. Even on MAX power, the rifle seems pretty quite.
The trigger on mine is interesting. I am not sure that I detect a first stage, feels like a fairly long smooth second stage and clean break, but I will need more time with it to determine if that is the case. Not a heavy trigger out of the box, I am guessing less than two lbs.
Overall fit and finish seems good, everything is tight and stable. The gun shoulders nicely and feels great in the hands. I look forward to putting lead over the chrony later this morning to see what this puppy can do out of the box.

This was a second post about chrony work:
"Just a quick update after doing a little chrony work. On Max power, 21gn Baracudas are averaging about 880 fps and 18 gn H&N Sniper Magnums are averaging about 950+ fps or about 36 ftlbs. I think with a little tweeking, this rifle can hit 40 ft lbs which is where I hoped it could muster.
As for the trigger, I have confirmed that there is no discernable first/second stage, it is just a fairly long single stage with a clean break. Trigger is not heavy and feels like it will smooth out even more with more shooting."

Had the Akela out at the WMA today shooting the Sniper Magnums at 50 yards and nailing 410 shotgun shells so the accuracy is there as well. Initial results show it is not too pellet picky, and it even shows promise with NSA 17.5 gn slugs.