Tuning Benjamin Akela Shot Count & Hammer Spring Mod

Recently purchased a Benjamin Akela PCP in .22 cal. Tested the out of the box stock gun with Air Arms Diabolo Field 16gn pellets at maximum velocity (using the dial on the receiver), and got the following visualization using chronograph data:

3BB20E8A-FDF8-4C18-804D-7E89E3E847EE.1636583798.jpeg

The velocity peaks on the third shot at 970 fps, and drops off successively afterwards, losing 4%, down past 931 fps by the 18th shot. Not very many shots to ensure on-target for a hunting session.

After reading the excellent article about tuning un-regulated airguns located at Hard-Air magazine:

(https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/bobs-guide-to-tuning-unregulated-pcps/)

I quickly figured out that the hammer-spring was too powerful at the max setting to get the desired bell-curve. I did not want to use the provided power adjustment knob, because the knob does not adjust hammer tension, it just restricts the transfer port opening & I was suspect of how it would work. So instead…. I watched a great YouTube video from Sub-12 Airgunner in the UK on how to disassemble my new Akela (https://youtu.be/EwWQi_R5-n8), and found a few others by searching “how to shorten a coil spring”, and took 2 coils off of my Akela hammer spring, made sure that the pre-load adjustment screw was backed all the way out, re-assembled the rifle, and re-tested, with the following results, again using Air Arms Diabolo Field 16gn pellets at “Max” on the receiver’s power adjustment knob:

1F5116CC-79A4-43E2-8DA0-500B23FBE7A9.1636584604.jpeg

Now, I get a full 60 shots (5 full magazines) of shots at velocities between 835-870 fps (4% variance). Note that I reach and stay above 835 fps on the 15th shot, with the bottle pressure at about 2,620 psi. At higher bottle pressures, the hammer doesn’t have enough force to open the valve long enough to reach that velocity, so instead of completely filling the bottle to the maximum of 3,000 psi, I now only fill it to 2,600 psi.

Very happy now with this $600 budget PCP, am getting very good results (1 MOA) with pellets (JSB Hades are the best) out to 50 yards, and started today testing some slugs to see if I can find one that yield 1-MOA accuracy at 75 yards or more.

Reactions: weehooker
At 835 fps muzzle velocity, a 16gn pellet still carries 680 fps at 50 yards, with 16+ ft-lbs of energy… more than enough to smack-down a squirrel. Consider that the guys in the UK, are smokin’ squirrels at 35-50 yards with only 12 ft-lbs muzzle energy - YouTube has lots of videos on it.

But… I am hoping that I can find a heavier slug that groups well at 50-75 yards to give even more “punch”.

I’ve got the Cayden and the Kratos. Love them both. My daughter was target practicing today with the Kratos actually. The Kratos was shooting 18gr JSBs in the low 900s out of the box and it gets a ton of shots. I’ve actually got the power tuned down right now for the best accuracy but I don’t remember what my fps is now off the top of my head, but it’s still shooting like a laser beam.
This rifle does so well I’ve not had any desire at all to modify anything on it.
F1603624-6F97-4D75-A146-FC7BF1521D1A.1636591985.jpeg

The craftsman series airguns are a hell of a value in my opinion. Congrats on getting your Akela straightened out! 

Hi. I just bought the Adela .22 and want to use it for 10 meter target shooting only. I don't need power just consistency and max number of shots. I will not hunt with this rifle just use it in my own yard shooting 10 meter targets. Looking for max shots at stable pressure. If necessary I may install a Lane regulator but would rather not void the 5 year warranty. Has anyone turned down the power adjust and done a shot string? I can shorten the spring since I can replace with original to not void warranty. Open to ideas from anyone with like interest. I have not fired it yet and am looking for a good side parallax scope to buy for it for my target use. I have one good eye and am an old retired guy that loves air guns.

Talon77,

Before I modified the hammer spring, I did test the Akela on the “Low” power setting, and got 80+ shots on a fill. Sadly, I did not keep the velocity data on that trial, but as I recall, the shots were all pretty consistent in muzzle velocity until the reservoir pressure dropped below the needed amount, at which point muzzle velocity dropped rapidly.

Since you are just doing backyard target shooting at 10 meters, a light pellet, like the crossman premier 14gn pellets would likely work well, but perhaps even better would be the JSB/Predator GTO lead-free pellets - they’re the lightest you can get for the caliber, which would mean that even at the lowest power setting, you’d get sufficiently high muzzle velocity to get a nice flat, consistent trajectory, with little wind interference. And the JSB/Predators are known for pellet consistency.

For the scope, given that your target will be close (so high magnification not needed), and once zeroed you won’t have to make many adjustments, I’d recommend the UTG Bug-Buster 4-12x44 scope, which has a side-parallax adjustment turret focusable down to 6 yards. You can purchase an optional side-wheel to attach to the parallax turret to make fine adjustments easier. All this, for only about $240. And… It’s very compact, adding little weight to the setup. Utah Airguns advertises it as the lightest, most compact scope they sell, although I had to get mine on Amazon because Utah Airguns was out of stock at the time. If you haven’t guessed, this is the scope I have on my Akela, and I do like it.

We finally put the chrony onto my buddy's Akela during last week's local airgun shoot in my back yard. He is shooting JSB 18.13's and we were doing our tuning at 25 yards.

He was shooting with the transfer port wheel about half, based on his previous accuracy testing as he didn't use a chronograph. Yup, he had settled into that setting, and by gosh he was running at between 860-870 fps at the start off a 3,000 psi fill. Darned near perfect place to start with diabolo shaped pellets.

I wanted to check what the Akela would do with the TP knob full open. Color me surprised when the first few shots with 18 gr pellets from a full 3,000 psi fill were in the high 990's fps, with a gun 'as received' from the factory.

We kind of found that his particular gun was the most accurate @ 25 yards with muzzle velocities of the 18's more in the 840 fps range, so we found where that was on the TP wheel and left the gun there. Seems like at 25 yards with 18 gr pellets his gun can start out shooting in the 860's or the 840's, and will still get 4 mags of full power shots without significant POI change. Not surprising as the transfer port is after the valve, so unfortunately it doesn't save any air when you turn it down.

I kicked myself later for not thinking about opening up the TP dial as the POI just started to drop after 4 magazines. He still had about 2,000 psi in the gun when this happened. So we'll try that at this week's shoot in my back yard. Hopefully we can get 6-7 mags with 18's without a significant POI shift at 25 yards if he shoots his first 4 mags with the TP dial at his determined 'about half' setting, and then opens it up when the gun's air gets to about 2,000 psi.

All of that info is in the link: Akela Twin Springs Discussion starts on Reply #15

The outer diameter spring, is the oem cut to 2.5" and the inner is a McmasterCarr spring.

IMG_5541.1639568065.jpg

There is a small mod to the adjuster bushing (covered in thread). if you didn't want to do that, try going to a spring length of 2.4" to have some gap adjustability.

PS: If you have additional questions, let me know.

• Love
Reactions: weehooker
I purchased an Akela in .177 for an older friend. He was only getting 3 mags per fill. Before I cut a few coils off the hammer spring and flatten the ends, has anyone shortened the hammer spring until the there is no tension on the hammer with the hammer spring adjuster all the way backed off. Then there would be some adjustment if needed. 

A 16-17 ft-lb .177 to defend the bird feeder from sparrows and starlings at 25-35 yds is what would be perfect. 

thanks

I purchased an Akela in .177 for an older friend. He was only getting 3 mags per fill. Before I cut a few coils off the hammer spring and flatten the ends, has anyone shortened the hammer spring until the there is no tension on the hammer with the hammer spring adjuster all the way backed off. Then there would be some adjustment if needed. 

A 16-17 ft-lb .177 to defend the bird feeder from sparrows and starlings at 25-35 yds is what would be perfect. 

thanks

On my Cayden it took one coil off the spring to do that.

I am refering to a .22 caliber gun though.