Benjamin Akela, just where do you plant your face from a benchrest?

Really, I’m new to the bullpup design but nothing seems to fit. Ive tried relocating the 6X24X50mm scope forward and back, up and down, and can’t seem to find a comfortable shooting position. No matter what the scope will sit between 2” to 11/4” above the shroud measured at the 50mm end, ad another 1/2” to the actual bore. As you know this is detrimental to accuracy both horizontally and laterally and my other PCP rifles measure 3/8” to 1/2” above the bore. Im willing to learn something new and looks like this will end up being a problem of me adjusting to the rifle, but that hasn’t stopped me from trying to change the rifle. I have removed the factory cheekpeice and put a pic filler in place as a cheekpeice, doesn’t help much. I’m considering an adjustable recoil pad set low and reshaping the stock to allow my cheekrest to be behind the action, rather than on top of it. I’d really appreciate learning what others do with bullpups from the bench and if I’m the first one to find this undesirable.

Only had it for a month but in cal 177 using H&N Rabbit Magnum11 slugs it now is the penetration champion of all my PCP rifles. 21/4” penetration into hard fir blocks. I foresee great long range potential here. So far I have added the much needed bbl. band at the end, and adding a suppressor using a DonnyFL shroud fitting it now is my quietest PCP, very silent.

Thanks,

Tom

I had a hard time adjusting to my Akela also.I did the same thing and put a pic.cover over my cheek rest also.I took a file and smoothed the end of the cover up.lt Still wasn’t good enough so I put a riser mount to put my scope up a little higher. Now it is just comfortable enough. I kind of put half of my cheek on the top of the rest and part of it is at the very end and behind it if that makes sense. I actually have my scope just a tad too far back. I’ve already had to resight that thing in twice so I’m just gonna leave it be for now.I don’t see how anybody would have any need for that adjustable cheek rest. Why would they want to go higher?

Bullpups don't lend themselves to bench shooting (or prone) but if you have to do that, try sitting on a much lower seat and bring the gun back off the bench and keep your back straight. Just rest the front of the gun, put the gun in your shoulder and rest your shooting hand forearm on the table and your offhand cradles the back at the edge of the table. I find that I can't 'get on top' of a bullpup on the bench, and I don't even try. I just lean my head into the sight. Something to try anyway.

It took me a bit to adjust to my Akela. Raising the scope way up really helped. Now I love the gun and am very comfortable shooting it
20211228_140414.1641310273.jpg
off a bench.

PUPS make POOR bench rifles .... simply too short in distance from Shoulder / rear bag to the Fore stock Relative to a conventional rifle.

There even a greater challenge to use in the game of Field Target because of there shortness. There are work around ways to EXTEND the support distances that increase stability.

Myself as an FT shooter did this to my TAIPAN which helped GREATLY !!!

44444_50.1641317693.jpg

Now as to WHERE TO PLANT YOUR FACE ?

Ideally with MINIMAL CONTACT to the gun itself being for most users heavy face contact / gripping of the air gun at all can seriously effect POA / POI consistency.

*In Bench rest your face contact with stocks comb/ receiver etc .. should be minimal to non existent IMO.