Benjamin Akela .22 barrel issues

G'day,

Long time lurker, first time buyer of a PCP. I purchased the Akela .22 and right out of the box the barrel shroud moves about a 1/4" back and forth if you wiggle it. Accuracy seems okay as I'm trying different pellets. Presently using JSB jumbo heavy 18.13, and Benjamin Discovery 14.3 hollow points. I haven't had time to stretch it out yet, so my testing at is 10 to 25 yards.

My question, is the barrel shroud moving the barrel as well? Based on YT videos, the break down seems pretty easy. Is this something that I can tighten up or should I mail it off to Benjamin?

Thank you,

Eric

Have you tried screwing on the shroud a bit tighter. The air stripper inside the shroud is threaded onto the barrel, so yes, unintended movement of the shroud could have some effect on POI. Moving "back and forth 1/4 inch" is not normal. My .22 Akela does not move at all and is a laser beam at 25 yds. The starlings, sparrows and crows hate it.

Have you tried screwing on the shroud a bit tighter. The air stripper inside the shroud is threaded onto the barrel, so yes, unintended movement of the shroud could have some effect on POI. Moving "back and forth 1/4 inch" is not normal. My .22 Akela does not move at all and is a laser beam at 25 yds. The starlings, sparrows and crows hate it.
I wasn't sure if the barrel shroud was screwed in, so I will give that a try. Thank you for the advice, and I'll report my results. I was more concerned about taking it apart and canceling the warranty.

There's a grub screw that secures the shroud. I cinched that down and that took care of maybe 75% of the issue. There's still some play in the shroud. Should I dismantle the rifle and inspect all parts?

20230627_182735.jpg

I've attached a .PDF that shows the components of the Akela. The shroud should not move, it should be rigid. There's a collar held by 2 set screws (that's in your photo above) that's threaded. The shroud threads on to the collar. The barrel is about 6" shorter than the shroud. You can twist the shroud to unthread it off the collar. Then pull the shroud away from the rifle to remove it.

When you do that you will see that the barrel is about 6" shorter than the shroud and the space is filled with a series of baffles and a spring. I removed all these components, cleaned and inspected them and then reassembled. I'd add a couple drops of silicone oil inside the shroud and on the o-ring at the end of the barrel. That'll make reassembly easier.

I bought my Akela a few weeks ago from Amazon and here's what I learned: When I first got mine, accuracy was pretty bad. I removed the shroud and found that one of the baffles had been damaged (probably from a pellet). So I removed the baffles and spring and accuracy improved substantially (and the report was still acceptably suppressed). So I left them off.

Accuracy still wasn't what I was hoping for so I removed the barrel and found both the o-ring in the breach and the two outside the barrel (that seal the transfer port) were damaged. I could have returned it to Crosman/Benjamin for repair / replacement (they even offered this) but instead asked them to send me some replacement o-rings (which they did). While I was waiting on the o-rings to arrive, I polished the bore (bore mop and Flitz) concentrating mostly on the rough spots and the choke. I also cleaned up several burrs at the transfer port and barrel. When the o-rings arrived I reassembled the rifle and now it shoots like a dream. I only have a 2 MOA red dot mounted, but I get 40 consistent, accurate shots to 50 yds on a single fill.

I didn't have to do any of this, I could have just asked for a replacement rifle, but by doing it myself I now have a rifle that is operating perfectly and a few extra o-rings in case I need them in the future. Also, instead of waiting a week or two, my rifle was back in working order in less than a week.

View attachment Akela-diagram.pdf

I've attached a .PDF that shows the components of the Akela. The shroud should not move, it should be rigid. There's a collar held by 2 set screws (that's in your photo above) that's threaded. The shroud threads on to the collar. The barrel is about 6" shorter than the shroud. You can twist the shroud to unthread it off the collar. Then pull the shroud away from the rifle to remove it.

When you do that you will see that the barrel is about 6" shorter than the shroud and the space is filled with a series of baffles and a spring. I removed all these components, cleaned and inspected them and then reassembled. I'd add a couple drops of silicone oil inside the shroud and on the o-ring at the end of the barrel. That'll make reassembly easier.

I bought my Akela a few weeks ago from Amazon and here's what I learned: When I first got mine, accuracy was pretty bad. I removed the shroud and found that one of the baffles had been damaged (probably from a pellet). So I removed the baffles and spring and accuracy improved substantially (and the report was still acceptably suppressed). So I left them off.

Accuracy still wasn't what I was hoping for so I removed the barrel and found both the o-ring in the breach and the two outside the barrel (that seal the transfer port) were damaged. I could have returned it to Crosman/Benjamin for repair / replacement (they even offered this) but instead asked them to send me some replacement o-rings (which they did). While I was waiting on the o-rings to arrive, I polished the bore (bore mop and Flitz) concentrating mostly on the rough spots and the choke. I also cleaned up several burrs at the transfer port and barrel. When the o-rings arrived I reassembled the rifle and now it shoots like a dream. I only have a 2 MOA red dot mounted, but I get 40 consistent, accurate shots to 50 yds on a single fill.

I didn't have to do any of this, I could have just asked for a replacement rifle, but by doing it myself I now have a rifle that is operating perfectly and a few extra o-rings in case I need them in the future. Also, instead of waiting a week or two, my rifle was back in working order in less than a week.

View attachment 368169
Thank you @Stretch , very helpful! I'll have a go at it tomorrow and having the diagram exploded view helps tremendously. I'll also inspect the o-rings while I have it broken down.

Eric

G'day,

Long time lurker, first time buyer of a PCP. I purchased the Akela .22 and right out of the box the barrel shroud moves about a 1/4" back and forth if you wiggle it. Accuracy seems okay as I'm trying different pellets. Presently using JSB jumbo heavy 18.13, and Benjamin Discovery 14.3 hollow points. I haven't had time to stretch it out yet, so my testing at is 10 to 25 yards.

My question, is the barrel shroud moving the barrel as well? Based on YT videos, the break down seems pretty easy. Is this something that I can tighten up or should I mail it off to Benjamin?

Thank you,

Eric
I have two Kral Empire X's,...same rifle..... The shrouds are paper thin and move all about. You cannot mount anything on the shrouds. I removed the shroud on my Kral, installed a moderator on the barrel thread, and covered everything with a piece of carbon fiber. You will be happy if you do the same. I used rubber grommets to hold the carbon fiber shroud in place. I did post this in the Kral thread...

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

Reactions: Virginian

Link to Kral thread...I do like this rifle...

Reactions: Virginian

Link to Kral thread...I do like this rifle...
Thank you @Hy-Score , I'll do some research on your build. I appreciate your advice in helping me sort this rifle. I do love the Akela and have high hopes for the long term ownership.

Reactions: Hy-Score
Here is the first in a series of videos on the Akela from Sub 12 Airgunners, considered the gold standard of information:

Thank you @orangeokie , I did watch this video and it helps quite a bit. I'll get it torn down and report what I find on this thread. I really appreciate the good folks here helping me on my PCP ownership.

Eric

Reactions: orangeokie