• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Benjamin Akela .177 shoots left

I’m just curious if there’s something I’m missing or if I have a bad barrel, etc. 

I’ve had my Akela for a while, but have only shot a few mags through it, because it’s shooting so far left. 
I’ve only shot it at 10m as that’s what I have available in my basement. 

I’ve spent a lot of time with precision powder burners and know how to setup a scope (I use a wheeler set, true the rings, level the scope, then torque the rings to 18in/lbs and 45in/lbs to the rail).

I also picked up a DonnyFL Fat Boy and this thing is clipping the air strippers, even on the .25 caliber air stripper. 

just wondering if it’s going to need to go back to Crosman or if there’s a do it yourself fix. 

agreed, unscrew and remove the shroud and the muzzle oring support off the end of the barrel and see what happens .. if that fixes it check out the spring and baffles and make sure everythings kosher, like theres not an old moldy pellet wedged in between them or something lol ... if it all 'looks' normal try just removing the last baffle out of the shroud, the assembly tends to put alot of pressure on the barrel as it comes, if that happens to fix it id carefully shorten that last one up ...

Have you checked yourself for gun tilt? If you are not accustomed to shooting a semi-bull pup, the stock can throw you off your normal hold.

How far left is "so far left" at 10 yards?? It may be a scope issue - as most bullpups will be very hard to sight in that close, and the some of the bench supports do not fit bullpups all that well. 

Most of the 30-ish fpe guns will be happier sighting at 20-35 yards where the apex of the pellet trajectory will happen. What scope are you using - is it accommodating for such a short distance? How are you coping with parallax?

What else have you moved from factory besides the trigger settings?

Your earlier posts seem to indicate that you are happy with the way the Akela shoots. What changed?

Have you checked yourself for gun tilt? If you are not accustomed to shooting a semi-bull pup, the stock can throw you off your normal hold.

How far left is "so far left" at 10 yards?? It may be a scope issue - as most bullpups will be very hard to sight in that close, and the some of the bench supports do not fit bullpups all that well. 

Most of the 30-ish fpe guns will be happier sighting at 20-35 yards where the apex of the pellet trajectory will happen. What scope are you using - is it accommodating for such a short distance? How are you coping with parallax?

What else have you moved from factory besides the trigger settings?

Your earlier posts seem to indicate that you are happy with the way the Akela shoots. What changed?

The gun has been shooting left since I got it. The scope is a Crimson Trace CSA-2416 (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020618738?pid=832126) in A set of Athlon Optics mounts that I’ve trued. To zero, I’m one click away from full adjustment. The parallax on that scope is 10 yards to infinity. It has 60 MOA of wind age adjustment. I’m shooting from a Caldwell Stable Table Light, from a Rock BR rest and bag or clamped in a Bog Pod Deathgrip tripod. 

The gun has been shooting like this from the start, but the groups were consistent. I just chalked it up to imprecise machining, as the picattiny rail support is not well supported on these guns. What changed was when I took the DonnyFL FatBoy off my .25 Kratos, to see it it would change the way it shot, and it was clipping the .25 caliber air stripper, on the left side of it. 

On that gun, does the Donny attach to the barrel or just to the shroud. @VETMX has it nailed, I think. How does the gun shoot w/o the shroud??

One of my mid priced guns needed a lot of windage correction from the start. I shimmed the picatinny with a few small pieces of electrical tape and then cranked the rings down tight. Not ideal, but the caveman adjustment technique allowed me to use the middle 70% of windage rather than just the last 3 clicks.

Good luck getting it sorted it out.

Shoot'em good!

The DonnyFL uses an adapter that replaces the end cap on the shroud. The barrel ends maybe 5” or so back, in the shroud, so that the last several inches is suppressor cones. 
I fired the gun without the shroud on and had the same impact point. 
I emailed Crosman, since their support number says they’re currently closed. I’m waiting to hear back.