• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin 392 opinions, etc...?

These have crossed my radar as a possibility for squirrel hunting. Thoughts and opinions about them appreciated.

Especially interested in their accuracy and just how big of a pain mounting a scope really is.

Also, do any of you know if the current production is truly made in the USA? If so, which state?

Best regards, Flintlock.

Good guns but need some work usually. You will likely need to work on the trigger and alot off ppl have had accuracy issues with them bc of overspray of the finish in the lead in. You just need to clean it up.

Maintenance wise they're pretty easy to work on. The cartridge valves are easy to reseal if you ever have any issues.

Theyre still made in the US up in NY. There are a few places that sell mounts for them. I have a Mac1 mount that is nice and easy to install. 

FWIW, my 2018 392 says "Built in America from globally sourced components". I bought it after owning a Sheridan Blue Streak when I was young. If I was going to scope, I would probably use a lightweight red dot since the available Crosman mounts are kind of flimsy, single screw and all. Would be great if someone made a one-piece, multi screw you could use with a long relief pistol scope. I don't think I'd use the one piece intermount. Seems like mounting a rifle scope that far back would both complicate pumping and loading.

benjamin-397-combo-22-cal-5.jpg
0e735334f309ad83ff5ebce6d04caff2.jpg

Good guns but need some work usually. You will likely need to work on the trigger and alot off ppl have had accuracy issues with them bc of overspray of the finish in the lead in  barrel crown. You just need to clean it up.

Maintenance wise they're pretty easy to work on. The cartridge valves are easy to reseal if you ever have any issues.

Theyre still made in the US up in NY. There are a few places that sell mounts for them. I have a Mac1 mount that is nice and easy to install.

Got a 392 .22 synthetic from Baker. Also got his mount which makes mounting very easy. When I ordered both he installed the mount on mine which saved me a lot of time.

Mounted an old Nikon Prostaff 3-9 which I had on a older 10-22. It shoulders fine and the scope looks like it was made for it in exactly the right place it should be.

Given the high comb of the 392 it makes a scope or different sight almost mandatory. I got mine to thin some squirrels from stealing my tomatoes and bird seed.

Started with 5 or so two weeks ago and now down to one very smart one. When maybe 20-30 feet four pumps will do the job. Most of my shots are very close so sighted in in for maybe 15-20 yds. If not real close I do six pumps and it is more than adequate as long as you hit the head or good chest shot. I would imagine I am in the 500's fps with JSB 18.1 gr. Have a chrono but found someone line who did chrono on different pellets so I know I am close to his results. Since I am not bench shooting I really don't care about exact velocity.

For $200 the 392 is a very good gun and as long as you do not have bad shoulders it is not bad. Up to 5 pumps it is not bad even for my 73 year old shoulders however when I was sighting it in and doing 10-12 shot groups it did get to me. A springer would be easier due to only one cocking motion instead of 6-8 pumps. Up to 5 pumps it is not hard.