N/A Benchrest Pistol

it will be an interesting thread
i would guess something in CO2 10 to14 inch barrel, would not be hold sensitive but i just got a BSA Scorpion pistol in .177 put back together after a long time in a couple of boxes
the trigger is outstanding, recoil is an honest thump and should be shooting in the 550 range or better
i have to work on the trigger, if someone coughs in the room it will fire it needs a quarter turn less LOL
i have a custom Chaser that might work with a 13 inch barrel
it has to have power
a Diana lp8 with a completely rebuilt trigger group would work
your choices could be anything

Reactions: sjs
I'm not sure 80 ft and a 400fps pistol is the answer
the Hp-01 could be if it was the ultra and you put in 3 pumps but that would get old very soon
and at that range a scope would be an added bonus or needed altogether
I find my HW40 to be fine at 25 yards, as long as there's not any significant cross wind.

If I wanted more oomph, the Diana LP8 or the Hatsan Mod 25 super charger are both pretty good. Ironically I preferred the Hatsan when I had both, but maybe I just had a crappy copy of the Diana.. Though, generally I found both overpowered for 10 yards.

The HW75/P1 is plenty more powerful as well, but the recoil makes things a bit more interesting than I think I'd want in a shooter for targets.

Not sure if Co2 would work for you. This is my early 80’s FWB C10.

IMG_3719.jpeg

The Crosman 1377 will get you down the rabbit hole for less than $100. I shoot the HW45 and HW70 at 20 yards on cans and call that challenging. The HW70 has a 2x scope that will give some good groups with RWS Miesters.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Thanks for the tips guys, but I have some follow up questions. For me, benchrest is all about precision shooting on paper targets and with a max range of 25 yards I don't think I need to care much about power. I currently have an hw75, diana chaser and crosman 2240. I have sold half my rifles and will sell the other half as I am concentrating solely on pistol now.

My hw75 is perfect as is. I have switched back and forth between a red dot for offhand shooting and a scope for bench, but I would like to stop changing the optic and have different pistols for red dot and for scope. I mostly shoot offhand, but I do like to shoot bench as well from time to time. I could just buy a 2d hw75, but I would like to add a different model to my stable and I would like to spend a little less.

My Diana Chaser was very accurate and I had my 75 wearing a red dot and my Chaser an Airmax scope and that combo worked well. I happen to like CO2 in warm weather but since the weather cooled down it has lost its great accuracy. I don't want to mess with pcp anymore so I have been l looking for a SSP or multi-pump or springer pistol that will be accurate and also has a scope rail.

I cannot tell from the pictures I saw at a quick glance but it doesn't look like the 1377 or the HP-01 have scope rails. The hw 40 sounds like a 75 in polymer, which would be OK, but again, it doesn't seem to have a rail and it is too much like my 75. I wish CO2 worked well in the cold but it doesn't. I will look closer at the suggested pistols to see if any do have a rail.

The Diana LP8 looks promising but what I have read so far stresses its power and not accuracy. I will look into this one further.

I’m going to agree with Long Gun Dallas on the Zoraki, I have two of them and they are both excellent pistols.
Mine have aftermarket barrels, but the stock barrels are very good.
At 25 yards with a scope and shooting off of bags you can shoot one ragged hole.
And the pistol has a palm shelf for off hand shooting.
There’s no scope rail, but a decent picatinny mount is built in, I always mount a red dot or a scope on mine.
For under $300 they are a great value in my opinion.

IMG_4034.jpeg

63893315677__A492206F-2B6E-4CEC-BB02-875C30AB849A.jpeg

Last edited:
My IZH-46m is my favorite benchrest pistol. I bought it new 1999 or 2000.

A few years later I bought an extra set of grips to make it into a carbine, so best of both world. I don't remember where I got the stock from, someone on the old Yellow Forum probably. (to attach the stock you had to drill and modify a set of grips)

Truly a world class pistol.

Like many (most?) air pistol posts seeking recommendations, the qualifiers disqualify almost everything that exists.

In my opinion your statement, "For me, benchrest is all about precision shooting on paper targets and with a max range of 25 yards" disqualifies springers. It wouldn't disqualify recoilless springers; unfortunately your scope-rail requisite does.

My first recommendation would have been Co2, then I read on. OOPS.

Any MSP or SSP will require not only maddening contortions from a good bench-rest position, but also "rebuilding your house" between every shot. But assuming you can live with that, I'd recommend an MSP ten-meter pistol; more specifically on the powerful side (of that genre).

Most such unicorns are long extinct.

Reactions: sjs and maxtrouble
FWB 65, IF you can live with a barrel mount, and a rather odd looking set up. But when it comes to more than classic 10m….. it works.

View attachment 408932

Gunnertrones is right. I've had three 65s, one scoped. It was great.

1700873149786.png

7.33gr JSB RS, 10 shot string- Low= 419, Hi= 430, ES= 11, SD= 4, Average= 425 FPS/2.9 FPE
7.9gr JSB Express, 5 shot string- 418, 423, 5, 1.5, 421/3.1
This FWB 65 had the receiver milled with scope grooves, a fresh reseal, and Macarri spring.

Gunnertrones is right. I've had three 65s, one scoped. It was great.

View attachment 409352

7.33gr JSB RS, 10 shot string- Low= 419, Hi= 430, ES= 11, SD= 4, Average= 425 FPS/2.9 FPE
7.9gr JSB Express, 5 shot string- 418, 423, 5, 1.5, 421/3.1
This FWB 65 had the receiver milled with scope grooves, a fresh reseal, and Macarri spring.
Ahhh… I also have 3 65’s Gasman,
and would love to have at least one of them milled for a scope mount. I have even thought about epoxy gluing a picatinny rail to the receiver, but you know- from an estetic point of view…
If I get my gloves on another, I actually will consider it.

Where does one find them for sale? I have looked on ebay and found only one (over $950), and on forum classifieds but found none. Is it a pistol that is normally going to go for close to 1K even as a used gun?

They aren't exactly common as dumb blondes; and like dumb blondes, jumping on the first one made available could be a big mistake.:oops:

So I'd strongly recommend running a WTB ad in the AGN classifieds section, and be selective enough to not get burned by a dysfunctional blon...

I mean, 65.

Feel free to call on me when/if you need counseling on the subject. ;)