• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bench Rest 8 x 8 Competition Target

Hello everyone,

If you like to shoot paper targets here is a new one that I designed to be Fun, Challenging and Competitive for both .177 caliber and .22 caliber guns. Larger calibers can also use this target but it will be a bit more challenging. I have been shooting at this target for a couple of months with my FX Crown MK II .177 cal rifle.

Scoring is as follows:
1) All shots MUST hit cleanly and completely within the 10 Ring on ALL Targets to receive a score of 10.
2) The Eight outer Targets you score a hit on the value of the Ring within or when the hit is on a line it is the highest value, except for the 10 Ring.
3) The Eight interior Targets have Two Rings, the larger outer ring is for scoring .22 caliber and the smaller interior ring is for scoring .177 caliber. You receive NO points if the hit is not cleanly and completely within the correct size ring. I call this the Killer Circle.
4) Target to be shot at either 25-yards or 50-yards
5) A perfect score is 160 points

I have attached a pdf copy of this target for an easy download and printing. Couple of suggestions for a download:
A) I always use FireFox to download, but others will work OK.
B) Be sure to click on the “Fit to page” in the upper center of your screen before printing, this will assure an accurate full scale print out of the target.
C) Note, on the upper middle of the right margin on the target I have included a “Scale” showing 1/4", ½" and 1" so that you can check with a ruler to confirm the print out is to correct size.
D) I have included 5 black sighter circles for checking your rifle and scope.

Print out a stack and have fun shooting and good luck.

Have a great day,
ThomasT
EDIT: I am adding a photo of the Target
Bench Rest 8x8.jpg

View attachment 8x8 competition target.pdf

View attachment 8x8 competition target.pdf

Last edited:
Fun target! Man, those inner 8 targets put the pressure on. Shot 5 cards today, with a 137 as my best.

View attachment 275364
Hello Tom,

Well you have out shot me by a bunch, those &^$*$ interior Rings are driving me crazy. I will dead center one and then touch the ring line just enough to make a tear :mad:. I may try some now.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

I can't decide to start with those or shoot them last. It might be a little depressing if you start with them, and miss a few. The variety in the target sizes makes this card a lot of fun. I have a 177 Marauder waiting on a new barrel. Can't wait to shoot this card with that rifle.
Hey again Tom,

Well that is the way I designed it, Notice the four outer smaller circles have a larger 10-ring, then the four outer larger have smaller 10-rings....kind of plays tricks with the ole brain :oops:

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Shot 4 cards today with my Marauder. It really exposed how terrible the stock barrel is on this rifle. Scored 85, 72, 94, 73. The new barrel is being sent soon from Crosman. Hopefully that will improve accuracy and precision dramatically.
Hello Tom,

The 94 is really not a bad score, you had to get some 10's in there. It's that "Killer Section" that most likely got you:mad:.

I have been shooting other targets this morning and had a good shoot with my Diana Bandit. I'm hoping that my .22 pellets come in today so I can shoot this weekend. I want to shoot your 30 Yard Challenge 🙃.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

@ThomasT I'm looking forward to seeing how your new RAW performs once you get it dialed in with the right pellet! I think we are both becoming traditional rifle / bench rest guys.
Hey again Tom,

Yes sir I agree, really enjoy messing around with the guns and pellets and then having time to shoot on the bench rest. In fact, I am getting ready to post two new Cards right here :D

ThomasT

Reactions: d3vnull
Hello everyone,

Finally received the JBS pellets and did a lot of shooting this morning and fine tuned the Scope. Shot a new 8 by 8 card and bested my old score by a whole bunch. Hit every one of the inner 8 although two were very close but I could see black ring. The larger ring counts because I am shooting .22 cal.

Have a great day,
ThomasT
RAW 8x8 07-18-2022.jpg

Reactions: tcarlson777
Hello Ross,

I shot right out of the tin today, do not have a pellet sizer ( yet ). But I did take my time for aiming at each target, sometimes I will rush my shots :confused:.

You need to print out some targets and give them a try.

Bye the way, what is the material used for the backstop on the indoor range where you shoot?

ThomasT

Hello Ross,

I shot right out of the tin today, do not have a pellet sizer ( yet ). But I did take my time for aiming at each target, sometimes I will rush my shots :confused:.

Bye the way, what is the material used for the backstop on the indoor range where you shoot?

ThomasT
The indoor range is a sloped steel backstop with bullet trap at bottom. The face for targets is 1/2” Celotex.

Reactions: ThomasT
Hello Ross,

ThomasT
I yried one at 20y with opensights / stock iron's .

A little tough to see even centers blacked in ..lol. . maybe if the sun hits it better then this morning and i get my required gallon of coffee in me may could improve on it some ..

The center circle of bulls just all blend in to make one full circle , so i kinda had to skip them. Lol. My old eyes aint what they use to be😉, but i gave it a go anyway. R9, cphp.177, 20yards, stock irons..

tomstarget.jpg

So made a 2.0 target .. pretty much at my bulls dot size at 20y.

But for irons it did make it more manageable for me.. still got lost in the center dots qnd shot the dame one twice and left one blank...lol

In the end i can use it opensight fine at 20 y.

( Ill try to fix that picture . Its clear on my end(?) )

Thats better 😉

r9 mr.shanker. .jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello MoRon,

That is some pretty good shooting for iron sights. With my poor vision I would not even attempt to shoot at any target much less this one with the very small Scoring Rings. SAD must be an acronym for Scoring All Divots :rolleyes:

I also shot the 8 by 8 but I used a scope...

Have a great day,
ThomasT