• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Beginners Guide

Well I'll take a stab at it-
First and foremost find a good pellet for your gun, sight in at whatever range you get most of your shot opportunities (for me with ground squirrels it's 30 yards) and get your holdover or under at various distances. Don't neglect the closer ranges which often require you to hold over the target. Practice shooting up (as I hear squirrels are often seen in trees) as well as on level ground. Get a rangefinder and a set of compact binoculars to help you spot your targets. A set of shooting sticks might be helpful also.
Get out in the woods and look for food sources and squirrel activity. Once you find an area that has squirrels get set up and wait for them to get active again. 
Then follow Jonnes's advice. 
Typically you'll get 2-4 shot opportunities in a spot, then it will be over for a while. Go pick up your squirrels and look for another spot!
The more time you spend in the woods observing, the more successful you'll get with your hunting.
Out in my part of California (Central Coast) we don't have a tree squirrel season though there are some tree squirrels around here and there. We do have tons of ground squirrels which are challenging varmints but aren't generally eaten for various reasons.
Good hunting and shoot safely,
John

I've hunted squirrels since I was about 8 years old. That's almost 70 years! If you follow the advice in the above videos, and you'll shoot your limit if you're in a good area. But the truth is, if you want the best success, you'll need a dog, and preferably a slight hound like an Italian Greyhound or Whippet. 

One of my permissions abuts a pecan orchard. I occasionally see a squirrel on the property, but they're very elusive. Take along my IG Lucy, and I can fill my limit in 15 minutes!

Twelve power binocs are very helpful, specially when the eyes are more than 60.

You'll spot squirrels you never saw before.

Listen to their chittering. When it's loudest, they're looking your way, and you stay still. When it's fainter, they're looking away, and is your time to maneuver to see them better.

I used to use shooting sticks. Still are handy. But try out different positions, like resting the rifle on your leg, the fleshy part, when sitting back in a semi-reclining ground based position.

Set up a feeder / bait station. Let them eat at it for a few days.

Set up a blind or place to shoot from. Sight in your rifle so you can reliably shoot a dime. Shoot for the ears, slightly below and behind, and use a hunting pellet.

Squirrels stay together as families. youll often see them in groups of one large squirrel, and several young. The large one is the mother of the rest. The father does not hang around. When squirrels chase each other, it is always a male doing the chasing.

If youre looking for population control, go for females. if youre looking for sport, go for the males.