• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beginner question: blister vs tin

Just started air gunning not too long ago, so bare with me here. I feel stupid even asking this question but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
I'm looking at some pellets and I can pick between blister or tin packaging. Blister cost a $1 more.
What is the difference between the two?
Is it worth the extra buck for the blister packaging?

Thank you in advance.

If by 'blister pack' you mean the type where each pellet is in its own pocket, then if they are a good make (H&N, RWS) for example, then they are well worth it because the pellets cannot touch each other.

I've only see .177 target pellets packed in that manner. There are usually 10 rows each of ten pellets.

I'll bear with you, but you won't get me to bare with you.

I think they are talking about some of the options at Pyramyd Air. The only difference is the packaging, meaning you will get a bare tin or you will get a tin inside a plastic and cardboard blister pack. Should be no difference between the two. One is just meant for display while the other is not. Not sure why they occasionally sell both styles. Maybe they get good prices on the blister packs occasionally, or maybe their buyers order the wrong line item and then they have cases of them they need to move. Just a guess.

FWIW, if you give more info people can help you better. For example, links to which pellets you are talking about and from which vendor. Otherwise people just have to guess and everything becomes confusing.

Reactions: beerthief
Crosman sells pellets loose contained only be a blister on a card as well as same pellets in a tin. In this case blister is usually cheaper.

RWS and Gamo pellets for example are available either in a tin alone or as a tin within a blister on a card. Here the blister card is primarily for retail display purposes, although if buying from Amazon the blister card offers a bit of shipping protection.

Match competition pellets are sold either in a tin or individually inspected and packaging into individual cells in a tray.

I assume you are looking at the second example. In the case a blister is only advantageous is the shipper does not pack pellets well.

Reactions: beerthief
Here is a link to the pellets I am looking at:

Sorry, I did not provide a link. I kind of assumed this would be a simple question to answer without details lol. I would ask their customer service but I don't think they work on weekends. I'm leaning toward the idea that these are sold in retail type packaging. If they are individually packaged I would imagine it come in a smaller amount, but they are not. I'll likely wait til Monday to ask their customer service.

Thank you for the answers.

Here is a link to the pellets I am looking at:

Sorry, I did not provide a link. I kind of assumed this would be a simple question to answer without details lol. I would ask their customer service but I don't think they work on weekends. I'm leaning toward the idea that these are sold in retail type packaging. If they are individually packaged I would imagine it come in a smaller amount, but they are not. I'll likely wait til Monday to ask their customer service.

Thank you for the answers.
since they do not show a picture i can only assume the Blister is a tin in a blister pack ,(hang's on a store rack )

Amazon and Midway do not know how to ship pellets!!!! When bare tins arrive after bouncing around in an oversized box or in a thin plastic bag there will usually be many damaged pellets or worse. Buying in blister pack from these type sellers has eliminated any damage in my orders.
Pyramyd and Trenier Outdoors and others know how to ship pellet tins correctly and they will seldom show up with any damage, blister packs unnecessary.

Thanks for the warning on Amazon and Midway. I had thought about trying Amazon. Airgun depot packages their stuff really well. Each tin is surrounded by foam, plastic wrapped, and they fit very tight in the shipping boxes, if it is just store rack I see no reason to bother. Not trying to sponsor them or anything, just given you a place you could try.

I have tried some JSBs and found them to be hit or miss. The Exact RS and Hades I got from them are great. The RS turned out very good in my rifle. The Monster redesign not so much, 37% of them were over or under weight, wasn't very impressed by the accuracy of the ones in spec ether. I also got a sampler from JSB. And they are extreamly bad, about half had damaged skirts, I blame them having a plastic "tin" instead of metal. I do have some H&N Hunter Extreams, haven't tested them very much but they seemed good from the little time I used them. Have not tryied any Crosman yet, I'll keep them in mind.
I also have a tin of JTS Dead Centers (the ones I linked), only 9 of those were outside spec. I have yet to shoot them. If they are good I planned on buying more, hense this thead.

Sorry for the side track.