• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Beginner needing help with scope ring size.

Most adjustable rings are probably higher than you need. Unfortunately, there is no standard for designating ring height. One company's low might be higher than another company's medium. So, you have to experiment. Some ring makers define their heights by specific reference in their web site. In those cases, a quick measurement will identify the minimum height needed for clearance, but with a couple of caveats. The objective end will be over the barrel, and barrels are not located the same in all rifles, relative to the mounting surface of the scope. Also, clearance issues aside, your eye position is critical, so you might need rings considerably higher than the minimum to obtain proper fit. It's kind of like Churchill's comment about Russia, "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery....".

Fx no limit or eagle vision adjustable are a good option
In most case adjustable ring will be medium in the collapsed height
FX you can slant them I think but the WestHunter adjustable ones I have on my Avenger and Notos were 1/3 the cost of FX and work fine. That's right though the WH ones were, per the Amazon listing, collapsed height at 32mm center raised height at 38mm center so maybe they won't work for this application.

Most adjustable rings are probably higher than you need. Unfortunately, there is no standard for designating ring height. One company's low might be higher than another company's medium. So, you have to experiment. Some ring makers define their heights by specific reference in their web site. In those cases, a quick measurement will identify the minimum height needed for clearance, but with a couple of caveats. The objective end will be over the barrel, and barrels are not located the same in all rifles, relative to the mounting surface of the scope. Also, clearance issues aside, your eye position is critical, so you might need rings considerably higher than the minimum to obtain proper fit. It's kind of like Churchill's comment about Russia, "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery....".
That's why I love the scope ring height calculator website I linked, you can tell it objective bell end size and if you're using lens caps and also if you have any MOA built in and also if the rail is flat all the way out or if the barrel is tapered/lower than the rail height further out where the obj end goes.

You can either do all this measuring or buy low and medium UTG, Monstrum or other low cost rings and like mentioned by Jasonmc and get different guns with other scopes and it'll work out for something in the collection. Lol

For example:
I had some super duper low Leapers rings that I was gonna use on a Ruger 10/22 but didn't go that route. I ended up with a $10 scope I got off Amazon on a crazy sale and wanted to mount it to a Daisy Powerline 856 but didn't want my head to be raised up much. Well luckily I remembered those Leapers and bam I have like 1mm of clearance but it fits!

I have a pile of scope rings and wish I had found out about that scope height calculator sooner.

If it helps any chrck the scope and rings for measuring thing up .. then you got to figure your personal comfort on the gun .. like you kinda like you got s offset mount for better eye releaf. That part kinda come down to personal preference.

Screenshot_20230719-173934.png

Then
Screenshot_20230801-091715.png

Thrn you gun clearance and do the math

I have some similar they work very well, IF you need that fine of an adjustment, I think they are in my drawer with the other 100 pairs. That scope calculator is interesting, I've never had a problem with clearance but I can see the need.

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Rings are cheap enough... Buy the low and medium. Just in case...A- you find the low rings are too low you already have the medium rings and B- your gonna upgrade that scope as soon as the addiction gets a good hold of ya..
I see what CAB is worried about, the magazine hitting the scope, I'm going to guess at mediums or the adjustable's.

Yeah…they are close to .9 height

As I recently found out- even though your objective lens clears no problem, your magazine might not clear the bottom of the scope especially if the base of the scope that houses the turrets are above the mag slot.

These scope calculators and the info that the scope ring manufacturers provide do not take into consideration magazines used for PCP. It’s just a measurement from pic rail to ring center height.
Your safest bet if you don’t want to buy multiple sets is to go with what others suggested and get height adjustable rings like the fx no limits

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
As I recently found out- even though your objective lens clears no problem, your magazine might not clear the bottom of the scope especially if the base of the scope that houses the turrets are above the mag slot.

These scope calculators and the info that the scope ring manufacturers provide do not take into consideration magazines used for PCP. It’s just a measurement from pic rail to ring center height.
Your safest bet if you don’t want to buy multiple sets is to go with what others suggested and get height adjustable rings like the fx no limits
Personally I've got some FX's I'll give to anyone, no I won't I'm tossing them in the trash, there is something wrong with them, I ran out of windage, the Amazon adjustable height ones work fine, have some of them too.