• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beginner looking for a good break barrel...

Everyone has a budget that they have to, or want to, stay within. Well....most of us do. You know what you can afford. I will say this though. Buy as much as you can afford. There is a rather large gap often times in quality between different airgun manufacturers. I have never owned a Crosssman Valiant or Hatsan 95, so I cannot speak to those. But I have owned a couple of RWS 34's. I still do own one and shoot it very regularly. As a matter of fact, I will be going squirrel hunting with my 34 tomorrow. It is a fine quality German springer at a very affordable price point. Will cover all of the criteria that you stated you were looking for in a rifle and then some. Good luck to you and let us know what you decide on.

TR

What do you think a used 34 in good condition is worth ?

Everyone has a budget that they have to, or want to, stay within. Well....most of us do. You know what you can afford. I will say this though. Buy as much as you can afford. There is a rather large gap often times in quality between different airgun manufacturers. I have never owned a Crosssman Valiant or Hatsan 95, so I cannot speak to those. But I have owned a couple of RWS 34's. I still do own one and shoot it very regularly. As a matter of fact, I will be going squirrel hunting with my 34 tomorrow. It is a fine quality German springer at a very affordable price point. Will cover all of the criteria that you stated you were looking for in a rifle and then some. Good luck to you and let us know what you decide on.

TR

GoldenState,

I don't really know how to accurately answer that question. Ya know, I guess it would be worth whatever someone would be willing to pay for it. However, considering they sell for anywhere between $250-300 new, I think that a used one in good condition that has been really well kept would be worth a couple hundred dollars. That would be with wood stock of course, as the synthetic (plastic) is cheaper to begin with. The dawgone rifle will last near forever and they are so darn easy to maintenance, repair and tune to your liking....it's ridiculous. If all one had to spend was say $200? A good and well kept used 34 would in my opinion be a reasonable buy. 

TR

GoldenState,

I don't really know how to accurately answer that question. Ya know, I guess it would be worth whatever someone would be willing to pay for it. However, considering they sell for anywhere between $250-300 new, I think that a used one in good condition that has been really well kept would be worth a couple hundred dollars. That would be with wood stock of course, as the synthetic (plastic) is cheaper to begin with. The dawgone rifle will last near forever and they are so darn easy to maintenance, repair and tune to your liking....it's ridiculous. If all one had to spend was say $200? A good and well kept used 34 would in my opinion be a reasonable buy.

I figured in the $200 range as well. I have been eyeballing one and may get it.

Looks like everyone has made the point but in an effort to reinforce their point buy the RWS 34 and don't look back. The other rifles mentioned are crap. The 34 has a good barrel and awesome trigger. It will be well worth the few extra dollars spent.

I would agree ! I'd probably go with the 34 in 22 cal. For $279 you can't go wrong !

Total airgun noob here but I did try the Crosman Valient 22 when doing an article for ammdog.com. Found it on sale for $139, at that price I think you'd be happy but you will want to spend a little on a different scope. The bundled one is junk.

The Valiant is a very powerful break-barrel rifle but a 40lb cocking effort would take away from the pleasure of a long shooting session. Do you have any information on it's accuracy? 

Walter Terrus, good price point, accurate, easy to shoot, if not RWS 34 or step up to a Weihrauch HW 95

That's a very good recommendation. Except Walter is actually spelled Walther. I'd recommend the Terrus in .177. However, if you wanted more power for a sure hunter, the Walther Parrus in .22 is a very good choice and can definitely be found for under $200 with a wood stock. There's lots of thoughtful features in Walther rifles.

HW95/R9 is more refined then the Diana 34. .22 cal will hold more energy down range, .177 has a flatter trajectory. Picking a caliber is dependent on what you want to do with it.

Jerry L.

I am glad that I just joined this forum and mad I hadn't sooner because that is something for serious consideration. I definitely need to start hunting down some trajectory pages in the forum and figure out what caliber would be useful for what kind of target shooting. I will mainly only be doing target shooting for now. 

HW95/R9 is more refined then the Diana 34. .22 cal will hold more energy down range, .177 has a flatter trajectory. Picking a caliber is dependent on what you want to do with it.

Jerry L.

I am glad that I just joined this forum and mad I hadn't sooner because that is something for serious consideration. I definitely need to start hunting down some trajectory pages in the forum and figure out what caliber would be useful for what kind of target shooting. I will mainly only be doing target shooting for no

If targeting is what your after I'd go with the .177 cal

Jerry L.

I am glad that I just joined this forum and mad I hadn't sooner because that is something for serious consideration. I definitely need to start hunting down some trajectory pages in the forum and figure out what caliber would be useful for what kind of target shooting. I will mainly only be doing target shooting for no

Alright I will start hunting for a .177 for target shooting then

Jerry L.

Alright I will start hunting for a .177 for target shooting then

Check out the thread I posted titled RWS 34. Some interesting info regarding the forearm screws.