• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beginner help needed - please be nice - air rifle .177

If you're needing a 10m style airgun this would be an excellent resource for getting a starting setup.

Hi @mommyof4four, welcome to Airgun Nation. Your question is going to solicit a huge response and you may feel like you are drinking from a fire hydrant. We can help you and your 4-H'ers find a decent result.

The AGN family is a buncha great guys, and a few cantankerous old poofs. For the most part the AGN family is 100% supportive of new shooters and especially the young generation.

I have feet on both sides of the line, as an enthusiastic amature shooter and a 4-H of 3, albeit more into 4-H livestock and 4-H powder burning shooting.

What is the time line we are looking at for your local County events?

Hi @mommyof4four, welcome to Airgun Nation. Your question is going to solicit a huge response and you may feel like you are drinking from a fire hydrant. We can help you and your 4-H'ers find a decent result.

The AGN family is a buncha great guys, and a few cantankerous old poofs. For the most part the AGN family is 100% supportive of new shooters and especially the young generation.

I have feet on both sides of the line, as an enthusiastic amature shooter and a 4-H of 3, albeit more into 4-H livestock and 4-H powder burning shooting.

What is the time line we are looking at for your local County events?
Thank you so much. We need as soon as possible. I keep hearing the Crosman Challenger, so I may bite the bullet and buy 2 of those. She went to Daisy Nationals in BB last year and is now aged out of that. She has also been shooting .22 3P and .22 CMP Open sights, but has never even shot an air rifle. I know to go back to Daisy Nationals this year as an Air Rifle competitior she will have to use a Daisy. But I also want her to be competitive thru 4H. I know the 4H Nationals team from Louisiana all used Crossman Challengers this past year. Just wasn't expecting the huge hit to the wallet. LOL. Is the Daisy 599 as accurate as the Crosman Challenger in 10M events?

Reactions: bf1956
Pump, Co2 or PCP? Hand pump, Compressor or Bottle? Budget? Bill
4H rules follow NRA Rule 4.2.1 for approved rifles for 3P and standing. For Silhouette they allow Any unaltered factory sporter air rifle weighing no more than 11 pounds with scope and mounts. Precharged systems must use a 12. gram disposable co2. unless its one of the firearms listed in teh 4.2.1 approved rifles. Louisiana only allows for .177 caliber. Shes smaller and only 5'2" I'm not sure she could manage a break barrel. We have a Crosman one and it's a struggle. She only has this year and next left of 4H.

Dailey 853 refurbished from Civilian Marksmanship Program.

As said above maybe worth a look at there offerings

When you go competitive you pay the piper .

Pretty much deciding on what you need/ want and go for it ..

Reactions: mommyof4four
Don't forget .. if you go the pcp route you'll spend on a pump or compressor to keep it filled . A hand pump is cheap at $50$+/- bit it's a workout if lots of shots needed . Then a Worthy compressor $300+/- it's convenient .

I'd think at a match for kids a sponser fill station is handy (??).

The ssp rifles ( single stroke / cock and shoot). May be best to start and grow up to better as it goes .. far less overhead $ all around just to shoot a pellet.

Just tough to recommend to a individual's need .

Don't forget .. if you go the pcp route you'll spend on a pump or compressor to keep it filled . A hand pump is cheap at $50$+/- bit it's a workout if lots of shots needed . Then a Worthy compressor $300+/- it's convenient .

I'd think at a match for kids a sponser fill station is handy (??).

The ssp rifles ( single stroke / cock and shoot). May be best to start and grow up to better as it goes .. far less overhead $ all around just to shoot a pellet.

Just tough to recommend to a individual's need .
Is there a single stroke that is accurate and powerful enough for silhouettes? 1/10 metallic silhouettes. Fartherest distance is rams at 45 yards.

A website named "Airgun Archery Fun" has a Beeman AR2079 target type air rifle available in either co2 or pcp for $149. I'm not sure that is a final price but I've exchanged notes with the gun that runs this site and he is a nice guy. He'd work with your to understand your need and tell you quickly if he can help if you shoot him a note. He has a simple to use "contact us" on his website for you to ask questions. You should expect a response same day. To my untrained eye the Beeman looks a lot like the other guns you mention but you will have to be the judge. I have found that I can, sometimes, get accuracy similar to more expensive guns from my relatively inexpensive PCPs. If she will be disappointed if she doesn't win then it might not be the gun for you but if she will be fine as long as she has a chance - shoots as well as most other shooters, it could work well.

Reactions: mommyof4four
A website named "Airgun Archery Fun" has a Beeman AR2079 target type air rifle available in either co2 or pcp for $149. I'm not sure that is a final price but I've exchanged notes with the gun that runs this site and he is a nice guy. He'd work with your to understand your need and tell you quickly if he can help if you shoot him a note. He has a simple to use "contact us" on his website for you to ask questions. You should expect a response same day. To my untrained eye the Beeman looks a lot like the other guns you mention but you will have to be the judge. I have found that I can, sometimes, get accuracy similar to more expensive guns from my relatively inexpensive PCPs. If she will be disappointed if she doesn't win then it might not be the gun for you but if she will be fine as long as she has a chance - shoots as well as most other shooters, it could work well.
She doesn't have to win, she just wants to participate and not be laughed off. LOL. She does it for the love of sport.

Is there a single stroke that is accurate and powerful enough for silhouettes? 1/10 metallic silhouettes. Fartherest distance is rams at 45 yards.
I guess a fwb 600 ..lol. Not by much though.

That's another tough call .. I probably could use the daisy at 480 fps and hit well to 40 y .

Sadly your in a catch 22 . The ssp not as strong as the pcp averaging 600fps vs 480+/-

Then you got that filling it to shoot it cost on a compressor that don't tire you out as hand pumping or getting a scuba type tank and getting it filled ect...

You said she struggles with break barrel so I'd guess side lever ain't much better ( idk).

The guy just posted on that c02 type gun could make a good compromise to get started and see how y'all want to go down the road. ...

If she likes it does well and stays with it then maybe the pcp gun and equipment is then worth it ..

Looking at the AR2079. It's funny some claim 600fps and other places claim 450?

Like pyramid airs shows 450 fps

So your no better then the daisy SSP at 480+/& fps ... And the daisy I'd more a convenient gun ..

Honestly I'd just go to matches and make friends and ask and watch what the other folks are doing .

Do the referb cmp daisy sdp and let her compeat in 10m if nothing else to just hang around make friends and learn the ropes on the rest ..

Heck one maybe ready or kinda enough to offer a hand me down nice gun to get started with. . Somebody may have loners to use for nubes wanting to get started ..lol

Looks anyway ya go can be a darn if you do or darn if you dont ...

Snowpeak makes a lot of guns sold under other names. I don't really know anything about that Beeman target rifle but it would not be surprising if it was may by SPA. I like the 3 SPA rifles I have (P35s) but they do not write good documentation. So confusing specifications would be normal if it is made by SPA. But it would be worth getting input from Airgun Archery Fun. They might even be able to set it up the way you want it.